Tory MP Rees-Mogg: ‘I take my whip from the Roman Catholic Church’

1. Anyone else cry with laughter? I surely can’t have been the only one…

And no one elected him to snivel on his knees before the bloody Pope. Tell this ridiculous man he is obliged to serve the needs of ALL constituents, and since they will have a wide variety of beliefs, the only real solution is to adopt a secular stance.

…it’s no good, still laughing. I really cannot take these religion boggled fools at all seriously.

1. He probably thinks he is making a courageous stand. In fact he is admitting that while he quite likes being paid by the his constituents. His loyalty is to Rome.

2. Is that why he’s voted for more integration with the EU? . . . so he can become more of the Vatican’s lapdog?

3. hilarious – but still scary – shouldn’t ALL our MPs be declaring their backward superstitions – I don’t want these A holes speaking for me -

4. Don’t we still have the death penalty for treason?

And then the catholics whine about their being persecuted. Like they did when they tried to blow up parliament or assassinate Queen Elizabeth 1.

He is openly admitting that a foreign power has it’s spies in our parliament.

5. He should be immediatly removed from office for serving the interests of a foreign leader instead of those who voted him in and pay his salaries.

2. PantoHorse 4 Feb 2013, 5:35pm

I laughed out loud when I red that headline! My mind is now all over the place with the links the anti-brigade have with self-flagellation and I think I’m going to have to go and lie in a darkened room.

3. Good to know that the slimeball can be honest at least. Bet his constituent are going to be thrilled to know where his loyalties lie.

4. There are plenty of very able Conservative activists who could have taken Mr Rees-Mogg’s place as the candidate for North-East Somerset. I am sure the vast majority of them, if not all of them, would have put their loyalty to the Country and to the Conservative Party before their loyalty to the Catholic Church.

Apart from the above, words fail me.

5. Robert (Kettering) 4 Feb 2013, 5:48pm

This is NOT a Theocracy Mr Reece, bloody, Mogg!! What a stupid name for an equally stupid, pompous, man.

So then, he only represents Roman Catholics is what he’s saying. So the vast majority in his constituency remain un represented do they?

1. Christine Beckett 5 Feb 2013, 9:25am

No. He is saying he represents the Vatican’s wishes on this.

Most UK Catholics I know are in favour of Equal Marriage.

I think most of his supporters will find his motivation to be an insult to them, regardless of whether or not they personally support Equal Marriage.

6. Is it possible to call a vote of no confidence or somethign on this guy. He just admitted to being influenced by, and acting on behalf of a foreign nation.
    A British MP, elected by, and representative of his constituency has turned his ear to the Vatican and is placing their wishes ahead of those of Parliament, the nation, and his constituents.

1. Mumbo Jumbo 4 Feb 2013, 6:12pm

When the law was changed to allow Catholics to enter Parliament it was on the understanding that they would not do this kind of thing.

He needs to be reported to the Speaker.

2. bobbleobble 4 Feb 2013, 7:07pm

Sounds a bit like high treason to me

3. Bill Cameron 5 Feb 2013, 12:23am

Although not religious in any way (quite the reverse) I’ve always thought it wrong that Catholics were not permitted to be King/Queen, purely on the grounds of ‘equality’ etc, so was quite pleased with recent possible changes to the Succession law being talked about. However, such a blatant exposure of the divided loyalties of some of our elected representatives (and he is not the only one of course), now make me wonder whether we not only need to keep our present law on Succession to the Throne in place, but perhaps to extend it to those whom we elect, or at least make them sign some kind of declaration that they will not allow their religious views to colour their duties as elected representatives. I now understand better why the Succession law was introduced – harsh, but necessary and too dangerous for our democracy to change in this respect. Maybe as a first step we could remove diplomatic accreditation from the Papal apostolic delegate (aka ‘ambassador’)!

7. Whipped by the Catholic Church? Well they’re no strangers to doing that now, are they?

8. Let’s hope his constituents remember this come the next election and vote accordingly.

1. He doesn’t care what his constituents think. He doesn’t work for them. It’s Rome as he has so perfectly made clear. And it’s perfectly obvious that he would say anything to the constituents to get him into a position where he can then impose rule by Rome.

9. That There Other David 4 Feb 2013, 6:08pm

Yes, but is the gimp mask really necessary? :-D

10. Maybe I’m a little out of touch with politics, but should they not convey the views of their constituents and not their own person bigoted crusade??

I’m a programmer, even if I believed in this story of the bible, I would not try to incorporate it into the code I write…why because my person actions and views are just that personal and should be kept that way. If I started add GOD methods everywhere I would be sacked or reprimanded.

1. That There Other David 4 Feb 2013, 6:13pm

Are you any good at deprogramming? Jacob Rees-Mogg appears to need a bit of that.

11. Mumbo Jumbo 4 Feb 2013, 6:09pm

Putting aside the humour, if he is taking instructions on how to vote from the un-elected dictator of a foreign state, then he must either resign or be removed from parliament.

12. So he is taking his orders from a foreign power? That should be a reason for him to be investigated.

1. That There Other David 4 Feb 2013, 6:16pm

Surely to put the Pope’s wishes before his duties towards his constituents must violate his oath to the Crown. Seriously, if he was pledging allegiance to Russia or China right now they’d throw the book at him.

13. thelostdot 4 Feb 2013, 6:20pm

I’m surprised he said this given the historical precedent. Think about it. This is like saying my loyalty is to Rome before Westminster. This is why Roman Catholics were banned from public office for many years, and is pretty much treason. Has he really understood what he has said? Britain in centuries past was racked with strife, firstly with the RC church dictating to others, then as a result the RC church was banned, many clergy were killed and many English houses aquired their no infamous “priest holes”. Houses in RC Lancashire have many of them. This man should surely read a history book or two?

1. theotherone 4 Feb 2013, 6:58pm

if he can read

14. Jacob Rees-Mogg is the viiage idiot who only managed to become an MP because of his daddy.

15. OH sweet Jesus! Pull your pants down Rees-Mogg I am sure the Pope will be happy to help you out.

16. Then you should stand as religious candidate and take your chances at the ballot box instead of sponging of the tax payer while at the same time following vatican orders.

17. You gotta love religion.

“I could make a rational judgement based on the evidence at hand, but instead I will assume that a book written many millenia ago already knows the answer”

It’s a shame that (here in northern Ireland) the politicians of my country are going use this logic to keep me from obtaining equality if I chose to marry a same sex partner.

1. So he will be a creationist as well then. At least based on that statement he will.

18. If he wants his tendency to enjoy being whipped by the pope have an influence on our secular politics I have a problem with that (however enjoyable it may be for him)

19. Then what the hell is he doing in politics then? If he’s being dictated to by the Roman Catholic Church he should be outside of government. We are a secular country with a secular government. It’s now being obvious how invidious religious cults have sought to undermine the laws and democracy of this country.

20. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Feb 2013, 6:59pm

Screaming my tits off at that one. Whipped indeed! Is he an Opus Dei member perhaps, the ones who self-flagellate? It seems he’s doing Vatican’s bidding are you? Well then, a case for his resignation, a bit sharpish. Since when do MPs go to Parliament to represent religion? How bloody stupid are these people? To think this idiot was ever elected beggars belief.

21. I just cannot believe I am reading this. Am I right in saying that we have in our midst someone who is undermining the British elected government by saying he takes his orders from a foreign (unelected) power and not the government he is involved in? What will that foreign power get him to do next?

22. thelostdot 4 Feb 2013, 7:12pm

My comment that this comment appears to violate age old English laws has been censored! I am trying to tread as carefully as I can but you sort of new this was going on with many RC MPs, but you don’t expect them to be able to say it because their loyalty is supposed to be to GB first!

23. Rees-Mogg has been quiet about his Roman cults cover up of kiddie fiddling as well. He is a bigot, just like his Father. Off with his head and put it on Traitor’s Gate.

1. Yes, just go over to website of archdiocese of Los Angeles where the courts have forced them to publicly disclose their clergy abuse files – believe me you will be sick after reading them. These perves in frocks were perverted freaks!

24. We don’t vote for our MP’s to take their lead from the Vatican or any other outside influences. It seems to me that for this idiot to admit that he does should be called into question and possibly have him removed from being an MP

25. Fake martyrdom. This is a free vote and is not whipped

26. What a great lanky streak of piss.

27. Then he should be sacked from the conservative party because he takes his lead from Rome rather than the UK. This isn’t Italy.

28. thelostdot 4 Feb 2013, 8:16pm

It is also interesting that Rees-Mogg was involved in an earlier RC church ruling about a hospital and GP practice being banned from 1)issuing the morning after pill 2)banning abortions 3)banning GRS. The story states that a Catholic bishop stepped in. (Archbishop orders Catholic hospital board to resign in ethics dispute – The Guardian, 22feb, 2008)

29. I enjoyed Charles Kennedy’s subtle humiliation of this pompous prig some months ago on Newsnight. After Rees-Mogg had droned on in his horribly affected and anachronistic mode, it was Kennedy’s turn to speak.

Kennedy opened with something like, “Well, it’s most amusing listening to young Jacob, and I used to have quite a lot of admiration for his father, of course. He was a considerable politician.”

It was a wonderful put-down of the young pretender, the weed trying oh-so-hard to be the great British statesman, and the camera caught young Jacob wincing in pain, as if his headmaster had just unmasked his attempts at grandiosity.

30. He and some Labour MPs represent the Vatican rather than their constituancies Dobbin is one too. So inform these odious MPs’ constituencies by writing a letter sayig he doesn’t represent them in their local rag.
    Rees-Mogg:
    Hi constituency:

jacob@northeastsomersetconservatives.co.uk

Jim Dobbin Lab

31. Edmund Rodgers 4 Feb 2013, 8:29pm

He isn’t even a regular catholic but an extremist into the Latin Mass – Just a stupid nonce who should be deselected.

1. Robert (Kettering) 5 Feb 2013, 12:36am

I know individuals who are also into the Latin Mass [Society] big time and can tell you there are a LOT of old Queens in that movement, both clergy and congregation! FACT!

That sort of over the top, bells and smells religion is a magnet for Gay Christians both RC and C of E. The clergy often have, informal, female names for each other in private. I have been privvy to some of this myself in the past. So don’t believe for a minute that Bishop X Y or Z spouting homophobia during the SSM debate is some ultra macho hetero – he’s not and more likely to be so far in the closet the doors won’t open!

32. Not acceptable at all. The Roman Catholic Church doesn’t pay his salary. Time to split state and church.

33. “During the 1997 general election, future Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg went leafleting the streets of Central Fife assisted by his nanny. Infuriated at the mocking he received he later told an interviewer: ‘I do wish you wouldn’t keep going on about my nanny. If I had a valet, you’d think it was perfectly normal.’”

It’s like his goal in life is to confirm everyone’s worst suspicions about the Conservative party.

34. Whipped by the biggest gay organization on earth! Perfect!

35. So he takes his values from an organisations that tortures and rapes children and protects their assailants, oppresses women, condemns millions to death from poverty, starvation and AIDS and wants to deny parts of society equality – that’s as opposed to having values such as equality, freedom and fairness.

36. Arrogant and ignorant. Totally unfit for office.

37. Christopher in Canada 4 Feb 2013, 10:33pm

Where’s Henry VIII and Elizabeth I when you need them?

38. Julian Morrison 4 Feb 2013, 10:36pm

He’s lucky it’s a free vote, then, because otherwise he’d be kicked out for rebelling and have to run in “the Roman Catholic party”. Which doesn’t exist.

39. Christopher in Canada 4 Feb 2013, 10:38pm

Opus Dei, eat your heart out! Dan Brown, are you reading this?

40. Am not sure whether Dan Brown is reading this, but I would bet my eye teeth that RAY has been reading every word.

Come on, Ray, shed some of your light on this issue..

Rees-Mppg says:

“I think the grass roots are very unhappy,” he added. “I think there is damage being done, some activists are leaving, some are considering joining UKIP in protest, and it’s the people who are the backbone of local associations who do the work who are the most put out by it.”

The fact is, if this “politician’ is is being led by the nose by the Vatican,He has long ago given up his faculty to ‘think’.

And that goes for you too, Ray… lol

41. Amazing isn’t it that pollies think they’ve been elected to represent their own personal beliefs and not the wishes of the community and society as a whole.

42. Common sense 5 Feb 2013, 2:55am

MPs sign the oath of allegiance so surely those who see the Pope as a greater power than the monarch and the people of the UK should be debarred from parliament.

43. Go be a priest an not an MP

44. Dave North 5 Feb 2013, 9:00am

‘I take my whip from the Roman Catholic Church’

Indeed, but you take your pay from the BRITISH tax payer.

Do your job.

1. If only he and others like him would remember that!

45. He doesn’t have a big majority. People won’t forget this.

46. Lets all remember that this guy is a poster boy for the kiddie f#ckers.

47. Be a priest then !!!

48. Anybody still not clear why a Catholic can’t be monarch?

49. Is there a petition set up get to be sent to No. 10 to get this guy out of parliament? Because he’s basically admitting that his religion is more important than his job, and frankly the Vatican has no place in UK parliament.

50. He should be deported to Saudia Arabia or Iran. He will love it there since he likes theocracies so much.

51. Frank Boulton 5 Feb 2013, 4:18pm

It sounds as if Mr. Rees-Mogg is telling his constituents, gay anf straight alike, that they will all be bound by the laws of his faith. What ever happened to freedom of religion?

52. Leigh Hamilton 5 Feb 2013, 5:57pm

You take your whip from your electorate, nothing else, Mr Rees-Mogg. I sincerely hope this shambles gets ousted at the next election.

53. Not ALL catholics are opposed to same Sex marriage, I am in favour of it, I have a brain of my own and the pope does not represent my views any more than cameron does just because they are ‘in charge’. This bloke is ridiculous and making It harder for other people to prove that having a faith in God doesn’t make you homophobic or stupid!

54. I guess he is happy to see hundreds of thousands dying in sub-saharan Africa as a result of his Church’s doctrine regarding the use of condoms then?

55. Rudehamster 7 Feb 2013, 3:32pm

It is a good headline.
    And, lest we forget, the reason the Henry VIII hated the Vatican for having the gullible by the balls.
    Like doctors, these people shouldn’t have the job if they allow their personal sky-fairy-loving mental health problem to take precidence over their salaried position.
    Just to remind you all…Ian Duncan-Smith is a ‘proud Catholic’. It explains a lot.

56. Steve (Huddersfield) 8 Feb 2013, 9:34pm

Wonder if the Pope pays his bloody wages. What a prat!!

57. Don Harrison 10 Feb 2013, 11:05pm

Telling his constituents that it was because he is a Roman Catholic was his reason for voting agaist the bill will not help his chances in the ballot box.
    (Fingers crossed)