Maria Miller: Voting for same-sex marriage will promote stability, responsibility and pride

1. Thank you Maria Miller.

2. I still fail to understand why people think that allowing LGBT folk to get married will undermine or change those in a straight marriage.

People need to remember that marriage will only affect those who are getting married.

My current Civil Partnership affects no one else but me and my partner and that will be the same when we can change it to marriage, which we intend to do when we can.

1. It’s a fear of change, they have something that is excluse to them, they are loosing that exclusivity so they have a feeling of loss, what they are gaining is inclusivity and to be part of a bigger group, but it’s easier for people to focus on the negative rather than the positive.

Once it goes through, they will all calm down and see that it will not have any direct effect on them.

2. Peter & Michael 4 Feb 2013, 11:14am

Yes, we too, we understand that it will cost £100 to convert without a ceremony, if one wishes for a ceremony in Cheshire it will cost £40 to book, then £35 each on the day, then £420 for Register Office premises, if outside venue the cost would be anything up to £900 depending on day, ie, Sunday, Bank Holiday.

3. At last, a voice of reason. Thank you Maria Miller.

4. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow when the bill is presented. I’m sick of this lie from the religious bigots who claim that their faith is under threat from prosecution. Firstly, it obviously won’t. A member of the clergy who can refuse to marry someone outside their faith is protected already. If you belong to a bigoted, homophobic faith then your bigotry and homophobia are protected. Secondly, so what if it does? Why does someone’s faith take precedence over my right to equality? It wouldn’t be allowed for race. It shouldn’t be allowed for sexual orientation. The problem with that view is, of course, that being a racist was OK inthe 60′s and 70′s and now frowned upon. Being homophobic still isn’t seen as a necessarily negative trait.

5. bobbleobble 4 Feb 2013, 10:22am

We’re about to get a broadside from the new Archbigot today so I’m glad that Maria Miller has done this.

The best point she makes is about marriage evolving over time. Marriage has gone through so many changes because it reflects the society in which it finds itself. Today’s society (or at least the majority of it) accepts gay couples as equal to straight ones and therefore it is natural for marriage to evolve once again to include us.

6. PeterinSydney 4 Feb 2013, 10:40am

Well done Maria Miller and Mr Cameron. Good wishes for the voting. I only hope we will follow your example in Australia too.

7. Knock me down with a feather. It’s not fair to confront me with brilliant articles from a Tory minister!!

8. Clear, sensible comments from Maria Miller rebutting all the faux objections that have been put forward by some religious groups recently.

I fail to see why any MP could vote against this. It’s win-win surely? A win for equality while also a win for those religions who believe marriage can only be between a man and a woman. Both groups ‘win’ and neither are disadvantaged.

9. Peter & Michael 4 Feb 2013, 11:02am

And we both agree with that, Maria. Thank You ! PN, Is it possible to have full record of the MP vote on SSM in the House of Commons on this thread please ?

10. Had a load of church folk walking around my estate this morning distributing anti-marrriage equality leaflets and talking to people on doorsteps urging them to contact their MP before the vote. It’s a serious looking campaign. I’ve been in contact with mine urging the opposite – suggest people do the same because MPs need to hear our views too.

11. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Feb 2013, 1:34pm

Well said, Maria Miller and thank you. We shall overcome tomorrow, I know we will in spite of the hysterics coming from the opposition.

12. Janet Lameck 4 Feb 2013, 3:32pm