Jeremy Hunt: ‘Religious freedom is not just for straight people’

1. Not to mention, as people keep forgetting, some churches WANT gay marriages. There are a few, not least Liberal Judaism and the Quakers

2. bobbleobble 4 Feb 2013, 2:53pm

Well said Mr Hunt. Too often opponents have tried to make it sound like it’s Religious vs Gays and yet that simply isn’t the case. The religious freedom of the ‘antis’ is not threatened and yet by arguing against same sex couples marrying they trample over the religious freedom of others and as far as I’m aware no one has bothered to point that out to them.

3. That There Other David 4 Feb 2013, 2:54pm

It’s great seeing so many high profile Tories suddenly proudly stating their pro-equality stance. The weekend’s histrionics from the anti-equality camp has obviously given them the kick up the arse they needed.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Feb 2013, 3:13pm

Wonderful, Jeremy Hunt and thank you. Might I say how very handsome he is too? His wife is a lucky woman.

1. Yes, I agree! I wouldn’t have said no – prior to my Civil Partnership. However, up until this particular disclosure from Mr. Hunt I’ve always suspected him of being the worst kind of posh public-schoolboy . . . and I guess he will always remain so! So it would never have worked, Jeremy and me! Hee, hee.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Feb 2013, 6:28pm

I definitely wouldn’t kick him out of bed, just drag him in although I doubt that would be needed or much resistance proffered. I find him very sexy and appealing, arguably the best looking Tory in government. I saw him sitting next to Theresa May the other day, looking even more adorable. Nick Clegg isn’t bad either.

5. Robert (Kettering) 4 Feb 2013, 3:32pm

Great news that so many high ranking Conservative MPs are now coming out in support of SSM. Frankly the days of the old Tory toff bigots are numbered as they’ll be unelectable in an equality concerned, multi-culteral society. They’ll go the way of the Republicans if they don’t ditch the Tory homophobic bigots before the next election.

6. David Willerton 4 Feb 2013, 3:54pm

“Every year thousands of people choose to marry in a church rather than a register office NOT because they believe marriage is sacred, BUT BECAUSE OF TRADITION, THE EXPECTATIONS OF FAMILY MEMBERS AND THE AMBIANCE/SENSE OF OCCASION.”

7. Yes, we agree with you Jeremy, the church is an antiquated religion that was once forced upon the masses, but thanks to education people can see for themselves that the Earth is not flat and was not born 2000 years ago as they say, but nearer 4+ billion years old.