UK: Pro-gay Christians urged to pray ahead of same-sex marriage vote

1. While I applaud the sentiment, talking to your imaginary friend is about as useful as spitting into the wind. Maybe actually doing something real would be better.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Feb 2013, 4:19pm

Yes indeed. They’d do better by making their support known to the House of Lords because you can bet the opposition is already mounting a campaign to bombard them with postcards, letters, and emails with impunity hoping to bring about the ‘massacre’ that they promised.

2. Jason Feather 1 Feb 2013, 3:16pm

The irony is the other Christians are praying for the opposite. So two sets of Christians wishing different things! God will be confused!

1. Far from being confused I expect that he’s up there pissing himself with laughter one minute and wondering why he ever bothered the next.

3. That There Other David 1 Feb 2013, 3:20pm

I’m sure God will answer their prayers in the usual way.

4. I really would like one of the priest’s to don a Vader costume and say “”I am altering marriage, pray I don’t alter it any further”

Seriously though, I am happy that there are people on both sides of the religious camp.

Whether or not their god does or does not exist is irrelevant to me.

What matters for me, is they recognise our relationships on equal footing as their own and should be given the same title, responsibility, and recognition.

5. Dave north 1 Feb 2013, 3:45pm

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Teach the man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

Give the man prayer and he will die praying for a fish.

However I do appreciate the sentiment, however ill founded.

6. Paul Brownsey 1 Feb 2013, 3:54pm

Is this not interfering with the electoral process? Trying to get God to influence people’s minds when they vote.

1. Spanner1960 2 Feb 2013, 2:24pm

Don’t be daft. We all know God is English anyway.

7. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Feb 2013, 4:17pm

It seems that their God favours equal marriage in eleven countries and more American states.. Makes you wonder why wouldn’t ‘he’, ‘she’ or ‘it’ have answered the opposition’s prayers and given them what they wanted Tuesday and it will, what are they going to do about it? I suspect their next campaign is to target the House of Lords with the same vile hate-mongering of course if they haven’t started already. I suggest we all do the same after the vote next week.

8. Paul Essex/London 1 Feb 2013, 5:04pm

I think this does serve a purpose in its own way. No matter what your views on religion are, there’s no denying it’s still being used with great affect by anti-gay people.

I am sick of the first line of many anti-gay people’s answer for their views being “Well, I’m a Christian.” and this simply being accepted without further question. These Christians are showing that religion is not a shield against giving an acceptable explanation for the blind prejudice.

9. But doesn’t their almighty father already KNOW about the Bill? After all, HE is supposed to be all-knowing.

So, he knows. And yet, He still needs people to get down on their knees and beg Him? He must be kinda forgetful. Oh wait – He’s perfect, so the forgetful thing can’t apply.

So, He knows all. And he forgets nothing.

Hmm. Seems to me that the Almighty doesn’t give a crap about what these bigoted bastards want.

1. Whoops! Hit enter before I finished and edited!

Seems to me that the Almighty doesn’t give a crap about what these C4M bigoted bastards want. Not sure He’ll care any more about the pro-side, either.

And, have you seen the prayer that the C4M lot are offering up this Sunday?

Warning: links to toxic Christian Institute http://www.christian.org.uk/news/christians-urged-to-pray-for-marriage-on-sunday-3-feb/

10. Nice to read that. I’m sick of reading about anti-gay Christians and their exhortations to their followers to pray that MPs won’t grant us equality. So to hear about some Christians countering that with PRO-equality prayers is cheering, even though I don’t believe in god.

It also counters the impression that anyone religious shouldn’t support EM.

11. We all have freedom of religion no matter what we believe and there are a lot of gay Christians, I know because God made me gay and and equal to be born on earth to love one another. The anti-gay Christians are not really Christians because they hate and destroy and they are possessed and working for Satan because only evil destroys and hates God’s creations, gay and straight people and God loves and helps us all. God help us all.

12. Quakers already hold such “ceremonies” it’s just there is no legal recognition despite meeting every other legal requirement.

13. It’s always good to hear of religious people standing up for LGBT rights. The worst you can say of this method is that it’s harmless, and it’s hopefully good publicity of a sort, as well as comforting to believers. Atheists may not care, but there are gay Christians out there who will be thrilled to hear that other members of their faith are supporting them within the framework of their religion.

14. Brett Gibson 1 Feb 2013, 5:50pm

Pity praying does nothing more than….well, nothing.

15. Complete waste of time by a bunch of morons. They need to speak out, not whisper sweet nothings to a secret fairy.

1. Paul Essex/London 2 Feb 2013, 5:36am

I agree that simply holding a prayer meeting isn’t enough. However, they are doing something very Christian, and within the Christian community that in itself will do more to initiate a change in the mindset of others than you think.

16. Rather than having two hands clasped in prayer, how about one hand holding a pen and writing to their MP? You can bet their homophobic brethren haven’t been relying on prayer to sabotage the marriage equality legislation.

17. So instead of applauding people who are supporting us, we instead mock their believes? Very nice.

1. Brett Gibson 2 Feb 2013, 12:44am

I love them for supporting gay rights but their religious beliefs and ‘prayers’ are irrelevant. Don’t no prayers get answered. It’s time the day came where we stop tip toeing around religious people and say what we really feel. I think religious people are stupid for believing in what they believe. I mean it’s completely ridiculous. Support gay rights by all means, but no religion has anything to do with me and my future marriage certificate.

1. If religion has nothing to do with you, then don’t comment on it. I believe in mutual respect and equality, thats means for all. I do not take an arrogant position whereby I dismiss other peoples views, call them stupid, nor do I insult their beliefs. I pity people who are rude and use insult as an argument.

2. Paul Essex/London 2 Feb 2013, 5:52am

Prayers may or may not be answered and religious people may or may not be stupid for believing what they believe in. But there are still 26 Bishops sitting in the House of Lords and religious people have got a hell of a lot of air time to affect this democratic process. So what is supremely stupid is to think that it will have nothing to do with whether or not you will ever be entitled to a marriage certificate.

18. The disgusting Christian Institute are promoting a very political ‘prayer’ for those opposing equal marriage.

The ‘prayer’ is so skewed and sickening in its tone you’d hope even those its intended for would see through it.

1. Brett Gibson 2 Feb 2013, 12:47am

Prayers are a load of bullshit, nothing but people whispering to themselves in their own heads. I pity these people who are so stupid to believe they’re actually talking to ‘god’ and actually making a difference.