San Francisco’s public nudity ban goes into force on Friday

1. Spanner1960 30 Jan 2013, 2:05pm

Why is this in the UK slot *again*?
    Come on PN, get with it, it’s only a checkbox.

2. I’m not comfortable being naked in public so I have a hard time understanding the apparent link between homosexuality and nudity.
    Why do pride marches seem to contain nudity all the time? Why is this famous LGBT district so keen on nudism?
    I just don’t see the correlation! It might be a lack of knowledge of LGBT history.

1. I’m completely with you on this one.

This is on Pink News because… er, well? Editor?

2. Staircase2 30 Jan 2013, 8:16pm

There is no ‘apparent link’ other than San Francisco has long been a place which has challenged accepted social norms. That the gay community has for so long had to challenge those notions has had the effect that it has also tended to challenge attitudes to more than just sexuality.

Personally I don’t see the issue with public nudity. Nor why San Francisco has suddenly leapt into joining the rest of uptight America – where even breast feeding is considered by many to be ‘obscene’.

Personally I think it’s about balance

3. burningworm 30 Jan 2013, 2:56pm

Its San Fran, thats the connection.

Hippies never die they multiple, they’ll just buy up 1/3 of the city and go about their nudism.

4. GingerlyColors 30 Jan 2013, 3:34pm

Beware of the slippery slope! They could be forcing us all to cover up completely like Afghan women one day. The human body is nothing to be ashamed about.

1. Spanner1960 30 Jan 2013, 11:17pm

Unless you’re ginger. ;)

5. The Castro is a relatively small district largely populated by LGBT people. Those who don’t want to see genitalia on display don’t have to go but even the most modest will have their own. It was clearly something of a judgement call. I’d have gone the other way but hey…I’ve been appalled by the constant reincarceration of our own naked rambler. Am I just weird?

1. Staircase2 30 Jan 2013, 8:17pm

…no

6. Having been to Falsom Street Fair and witnessed the nudity, Spanking Stalls where you pay to be publicly spanked to raise money for AIDS charities etc I can see both sides of the story…. I found the nudity…(and its by far the minority of people who go nude…except for the obligatory cock ring or leather harness) quite ok after my initial shock. I would suggest that if you don’t like seeing nude people….don’t go to where they hang out!

7. Too cold here to go nude,,,,lol

8. i am a longtime resident of the castro district in san francisco and a gay man. nudity does not offend me but the way the media twists the news offends me. the small group of naked guys parading around my neighborhood every day for the past two years are not “nudists,” nor are all of them gay. some of them wear silly wigs and sunglasses to hide their identity. some of them wear “jewelry” and grease up their genitals to make them more prominent. most of them do live in my neighborhood and would never walk around naked in their own communities. most of the “naked guys” stake out the places where they can be seen by the greatest number of people, including unsuspecting tourists and children. they are not nudists. they are perverts and i for one am glad they will no longer be able to use my neighborhood as a non-consentual partner in their sexual fantasies.

9. Christopher in Canada 2 Feb 2013, 10:49pm

Yet another achievement by the only species on the planet that is ashamed of itself.

Now let`s talk about cutting parts of yourself off (or rather, parts of your non-consenting children off) in the name of religion.