Rylan Clark is the winner of Celebrity Big Brother 2013

1. Good for him. He’s camp and challenging and unapologetic. I have to admit I didn’t see any of this series but I’m really happy he’s won.

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 26 Jan 2013, 2:03pm

Ummm so what exactly is ‘challenging’ about him? LMAO, he’s the same embarrassing cliche we’ve had on our screen since that “ooh shut that door” guy. The challenge will be can tv and the media move on from stereotyping the LGBT community.

1. You have made my point excellently for me. Thank you. Many Gay people are naturally camp. He may be a a stereotype to you but he is a real person. Many gays prefer to see “straight-acting” people on TV. I do too, I suppose, but not at the expense of a large proportion of our community that are effeminate. You seem to think there is a good kind of Gay and a bad kind of Gay. I disagree with you.
        By the way, that “ooh shut that door” guy was Larry Grayson. He was a brilliantly funny and much loved Gay entertainer who got to the top of his profession. Problem?

1. Brilliantly put Cal.

2. Well said Cal

3. Real person? He had so much plastic surgery that there’s nothing real about him!

2. Sister Mary Clarence 27 Jan 2013, 2:42pm

So he can’t be on telly because he’s a ‘stereotype’ then?

Its always the same isn’t it. A gay person goes well for him or her self and the gay community rallies round it support. Oh no, sorry, the gay community starts bitterly back stabbing and sticking the knife in.

Rather than celebrate someone else’s success, the knives and the bile come out.

The guy has done well for himself. Why can’t people just be a bit happy for him.

2. GingerlyColors 26 Jan 2013, 7:06am

If at first you don’t succeed in one reality TV show, try again with another. Congratulations Rylan.

3. barriejohn 26 Jan 2013, 8:57am

Why exactly are we reading about this? Am I missing something? You were apologizing yesterday for bombarding us with so many different stories and now I wake up to this nonsense!

1. Nobody is forcing you to read get my dear friend. It was your choice.

1. I get it on my Facebook page whether I want it or not. This isn’t news!

1. Heavens….on your FACEBOOK page??? How do you cope…if only you could scroll past the story in seconds, all your troubles would melt away.

2. No they don’t , but the guy is entitled to express a view like yourself

1. Did somebody say he wasn’t entitled to express his view? Is that how you perceive all critics? As people trying to shutdown opposing views? Myself’s post doesn’t come across like that at all.

If somebody doesn’t want to read about television news, maybe they should steer clear of the Entertainment > TV section. If somebody only wants to read specific kinds of news, maybe they should bookmark the relevant categories and skip the front page (which is essentially an aggregation of all categories) altogether.

“Why are we reading this?” isn’t a view. It’s so overdone it is practically a meme. And it got old at all news sites several years ago. When will people grow up and learn that news sites cater for large groups of people and not some individual’s tastes?

1. barriejohn 26 Jan 2013, 2:56pm

Okay – so I should have said “Why are you reporting this?”, as I didn’t actually read the story. This year’s Big Brother has been done to death on other news sites, and I expect PinkNews to cover issues that have more relevance to gay people. I didn’t go looking for it – it was sent to my Facebook page!

4. Andrew Pinto 26 Jan 2013, 9:15am

Big wow – like so get a life yeah

5. Your life is your choice Rylan. Go for it. Don’t mind us. We also have a choice to follow your story, to cheer or whine or skip it. Life is a wonderful journey for the brave.Be strong and all the happiness possible. Bless you.

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 26 Jan 2013, 2:01pm

Wow, I’ve haven’t seen that many cliches in one message since “Do They Know Its Christmas” was written. You forget to mention “be true to yourself” and “everything happens for a reason”.

1. Thank you for adding hem.

6. Suddenly Last Bummer 26 Jan 2013, 10:37am

This needy unbalanced Towie wannabe freak should just disappear from public view but unfortunately he won’t. His campy queeny vain behaviour and vapid expressions are mortifying not just to the gay community but humanity in general.

1. Sweet & Tender Hooligan 26 Jan 2013, 12:41pm

So what is is specifically about Rylan that you’re not too keen on?

2. I’m sorry. When exactly did any of us nominate you to speak on behalf of the “gay community”?

If you’ve got hang-ups about camp gay men, go and get therapy or something.

1. Couldn’t have said it better myself LJ

7. :) I feel this man will do good things!

1. Oh ffs. I hope that was a joke. What good do you think he’s going to do? Win strictly come dancing? or dancing on Ice? or I’m a celebrity get me out of here? Or do you think he’s going to stop world poverty? bring equality to all gay men?

8. Channel 5 had him lined up for a programme before he won.

Sorry this guy is just like another ‘john inman” feeds the public what they think all gay men are like and nothing could be further from the truth.

Another mincing queen -god help us

9. Craig Nelson 26 Jan 2013, 1:44pm

I like Rylan and congratulate him on winning. Now please lie low for a while, there is such a thing as too much exposure.

10. If you don’t like stories like this then don’t read them and don’t waste your time visiting the comments page and leaving dreary complaints about how you time has been wasted.

1. Liam the God 26 Jan 2013, 4:32pm

We all have an opinion on most things. “Opinions are like arseholes; everyone has one!”. And like Arseholes if you don’t use your opinions you get bloated and DIE!

11. Liam the God 26 Jan 2013, 4:28pm

Yeah. And? So? What? “Reality” TV is shite. What ever happened to people getting on TV through TALENT AND ABILITY?
    *sighs*

12. Robert in S. Kensington 26 Jan 2013, 4:34pm

It makes no difference to me if he’s camp, so what? If it weren’t for those campy queen types who started the Stonewall USA riot in the 60s, the catalyst for the gay rights movement around the world, we might not have won the freedoms we enjoy today and equal marriage about to happen in spite of campiness and stereotyping. I detect some internalised homophobia going on among some of us.

1. Oh, I see, gays can’t criticise other gays? Not even for being brainless and irritating? I doubt the Stonewall activists were as completely empty-headed as our ‘representative’ on Celebrity Big Brother.

13. Dex (@MrDexB) 26 Jan 2013, 4:53pm

I hope that’s the last of that knobhead! And also, to people who mentioned John Inman and Larry Grayson, they were not show-offs like Rylan. Rylan is the worst!

14. So Rylan won! The comments here reflect a variety of opinions. Some good and others a different story, bare with me…

“The great British public have voted and the winner is!” Rylan…. Julian Clary… Luke Anderson. and in Australia recently Ben.

Perhaps we all at times internalize how others in the LGBT community represent us, and whether we ourselves will judge, praise or criticize
    accordingly..

Who could have anticipated the dynamic between Razor and Rylan? or that the public would have overwhelmingly voted Luke a trans man to win BB.

Homophobia isn’t going away fast… but LGBT people who have appeared on BB haven’t been disregarded, they have instead been embraced overwhelmingly by the public choice to win.

Perhaps acceptance is becoming less about stereotype by the public perception of our community than we perceive it amongst ourselves.

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 27 Jan 2013, 12:23am

The Great British public/people who vote on these cr@p shows won’t go vote in an election or referendum though, that’s the problem. If an equal marriage bill became a public voting issue Monday morning I can’t imagine the Traceys or Waynes of this world getting off their fat @sses putting on their Asda shellsuits and queueing at a polling station. So you’re in la la land if you think Rylan’s ‘win’ on a reality tv show is a victory for equality or progression. He won cause he’s shrill, vacuous and of limited intelligence- like the people who voted for him.

15. All he is to me is a Jason Gardner type Stereotype. Stereotypical gays annoy me cause everyone else thinks we act like that. I depise being called camp. In a way I find the whole pink news thing a bit insulting – PINK news to represent the LGBT.

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 27 Jan 2013, 6:41pm

Jason Gardner, that Aussie judge from Strictly, Rylan et al have the same schtick- plucked and botoxed, preened and always ready to queen it up. Its easy to see why some people are reluctant to come out when the most visible gays in the public eye are the above mentioed tw@ts. For every Gareth Thomas we have a dozen of these creeps.

2. Dex (@MrDexB) 28 Jan 2013, 1:16pm

I don’t Jason Gardner is that camp!

1. Dex (@MrDexB) 28 Jan 2013, 4:30pm

*think

3. Why do you despise being called camp? I get your point that more diversity is needed, but there seems to be such a backlash against gay guys who are camp. It’s such a shame because I think we should be the last people to condemn them, after all we’re all in the same boat.

16. It seems that one of the prominent issues that unite a dislike of Rylan is the fact that he is camp, effeminate. It’s disgusting to read that, so it would be ok If he was big and ‘manly’ and portrayed (in your eyes) a more positive view of Gay men. Well wake up and smell the testosterone faggots, there has to be room for ALL the various Gays/Queers/Queens in the village. If you can’t accept that I suggest you read up and get some therapy to deal with you internalised homophobia. Rylan doesn’t have to conform to your ridged and narrow view of what constitutes an acceptable portrayal of Gayness. Love him or hate him but It seems that you just can’t ignore him. Long live diversity!

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 27 Jan 2013, 8:44pm

Rylan conforms to society’s ridged and narrow view of homosexuality. That’s the point a lot of us are making. As for waking up and smelling the ‘testosterone’- that’s a bit of an oxymoron when discussing Rylan. And cause some of us don’t like Rylan or his personality and mannerisms we’re internalised homophobics? Sounds like you’ve been reading too many self help books McShaney. Why not save the money you’re paying a shrink and instead buy yourself a train ticket to somewhere outside of whatever ‘village’ it is you claim to be living in.

1. Oh well that’s me told…Pardon Moi! But just to clarify, I was just trying to make the point that some Gay men seem to dislike camp being portrayed as representative of the Gay community, well it is. It represents those people that are camp and Gay as well as those of us who love our camp friends. Maybe I will be more precise in saying that I’m not offended by camp people in the media or in my life. What I didn’t do was personalise my statement and make fun of an individual so it would be nice if you didn’t feel the need to do it with me ie I do not pay to see a ‘shrink’ nor do I live in a village and its been many years since I read Louise Hay. While I had hoped that my previous comment was kinna funny…maybe I missed the mark. Your reply just came across as nasty and vindictive.I hope you feel you won the point. BTW. I do not know what ‘oxymoron’ is’. I could of course Google it…ummmm

17. Camp and effeminate Gay men are – from an early age- the most vulnerable in our community. It is an absolute disgrace that poncey Gays who think they are better start carping on these pages every time someone fay gets a job on TV. It’s pathetic. Chances are that camp guys have been bullied for their whole lives. We have enough enemies without criticising each other for this kind of thing. Shame on you. Grow up.