Comment: Religious opponents of equality should follow the Unitarian Church and agree to marry gay couples

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Jan 2013, 6:56pm

Fantastic, and a big than you to Derek McAuley.

1. billywingartenson 25 Jan 2013, 11:23pm

Of cours they should. But dont expect anything but horror shows from the vaticans former hitler youth member

BTW in David gibsons book – Pope benedict and his battle with the modern world – the pope called gays adopting “violence against children”

From the pope who is directly involved in the hiding of the endless molestation of children by his sex starved priests..

2. Robert (Kettering) 25 Jan 2013, 7:39pm

Bodies like the Unitarians and Quakers are, in my eyes, the true inheritors of what Christ taught. Unconditonal love and tolerance for all. At the end of the day the LGBT community just want to be treated at equal human beings not as second class citizens.

Thank you to Derek, the Unitarian Church , the Quakers and of course Liberal Judaism for their brave stance at a time when the Devil is running riot in Rome etc.

1. David Shepherd 26 Jan 2013, 12:58am

Unitarins don’t even believe that Jesus is who He said He was.

However, if they are the true inheritors, you must think Christ did a poor job of picking Jude and Paul to be His apostles. Both wrote strenuosly against homosexual acts. They based their opposition on the fact that sexual union re-unites that which was differentiated by design in creation. The only way around that is to resort to pick’n'mix bible verses.

Of course, you may disagree with Christianity and think that Christ was a crackpot. In which case, your endorsement is meaningless. But just like His rejection of divorce being trivialised and permitted for trivial cause, He continues to emphasize: ‘it was not so from the beginning’.

I happily note that the bill will not extend presumption of parenthood through marriage to gay couples. The biological parents rights that (marriage regulates) remain invincible, so anonymous donor sperm from an expensive HFEA-licensed clinic.

1. Robert (Kettering) 26 Jan 2013, 3:28pm

You will note that what I actually said was “what Christ taught”, not Paul and the rest of the women hating, homophobes who invented Christianity after Christ’s death! The NT as we know it wasn’t put together until a few hundred years after Christ and as we know each Book was added carefully to skew things in the direction we have had to live with ever since.

I do not believe in the Virgin Birth, the cult of Mary, the Trinity etc so I suppose I am closer to the Unitarian view point but actually not a Christian myself.

Paul has a lot to answer for and I’m no fan of his!

2. Fundamentalist drivel. There is no reliable evidence about anything Jesus thought about himself and Paul is not someone he even met. I am not a Christian, but the infantile literalism (I’ll wager combined with hypocritical selectivity – I hope for the sake of your integrity that you have sold all your goods and given the proceeds to the poor, to take just one example) has never been necessary to Christian belief and is itself a very recent Protestant novelty.
        I have no stake in Unitarianism but you have no case for decrying their ‘Christian’ credentials. You are basically just a homophobe looking for excuses in old books.

1. Robert (Kettering) 26 Jan 2013, 3:43pm

Riondo, assume you were talking about David Shepherd’s reply to my original post? Anyway, I agree with what you say. It’s the height of arrogance to suggest the Unitarians are not Christian.

1. Yes indeed – I was replying to David Shepherd.

3. Zoe Bremer 1 Jul 2013, 10:44am

Parenthood should be ascertained by DNA test. There isn’t a court in the land that doesn’t accept either a standard forensic DNA profile or a paternity test. Unless the identity of both parents is proved, I see no reason why a Birth Certificate or NHS no. should be issued. This has nothing to do with marital status or the means of conception and should apply to all children born in the UK or who are subject to investgation by Immigration.

3. Well done and thank you Derek! Your solidarity is much appreciated.

4. Metropolitan Community Churches, the United Church of Christ, Reconstructionist and Reform Judaism, Unitarian Universalist, Unity, Conservative Judaism, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and certain Quaker sects perform and affirm same-sex marriages, many for decades. Episcopal, Presbyterian, and certain Buddhist and Muslim sects bless same-sex unions. Many other faith communities leave the decision to the local congregation.

1. Common sense 25 Jan 2013, 9:39pm

“Certain Quaker sects”? I presume you are American. In the UK there is only one Quaker denomination headed by British Yearly Meeting and it has been forthright in support of equal marriage.

In the US by contrast there a plethora of “Quaker” churches, most of which are indeed “sects” with programmed meetings, ministers and potent antigay rhetoric.

The only real Quakers in the USA are the Pennsylvania Yearly Meeting, who are quietist and noncredal in the Btitish tradition and fervently support equal marriage too.

2. Same re the united chruches of christ, some presyterian USA churches (this is the liberal branch)

Some methodists – eg 6 or so in DC where i live, and a thousand ministers have asked that the book of discipline allow gay marriages officially

its just beginning in the Disciples of christ which is a spin off from the methodists.

also the welcoming and affirming baptists – not the church that still dreams of slavery and segregation

these are all re the USA btw

5. Mumbo Jumbo 25 Jan 2013, 8:08pm

See also this article today from the cuddly Christians at Ekkleasia who the media seldom report or approach for comment:

6. Are Unitarians Christians?

1. Lots of Unitarians are. It’s not a specific religion for following an absolute path to redemption. It’s more a religion for ‘thinkers’. You’re allowed to follow and adapt a range of different theories to understand your life and what it means. I know the way I’m describing it, they sound like a lot of indecisive fruitcakes, but they’re really not. They’re interesting people who aren’t afraid to have ideas and debagte them.

I’m not a Unitarian – but I researched them with a view to joining and found them to fantastically fascinating. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a Unitarian place nearby that I could get to easily, so I didn’t pursue it further.

I’ve not seen Unitarianism in practice, so I’m not in a position to comment about the reality of how it works. It’s not a clear ‘Christian’ religion, but it is sort of ‘Christianish’. It seems to take all the good aspects of the Christian message and work from there.

1. Zoe Bremer 1 Jul 2013, 10:46am

Sorry to hear that but you could join the National Unitarian Fellowship, which meets for an annual conference at the Nightingale Centre, Great Hucklow. Details from http://www.nufonline.org.uk/NewNUF09/index.php

7. billywingartenson 25 Jan 2013, 11:22pm

Of cours ehty should. But dont expect anything but horror shows from the vaticans former hitler youth member

8. I’m not religious in the slightest but if I were, I’d definitely be Unitarian !

1. You can be one now as they are also not religious in the slightest

2. Zoe Bremer 1 Jul 2013, 10:48am

You still could be. Many people join Unitarian congregations as Humanists because of the social network that membership provides.