Video: Teenager comes out to hundreds of classmates at award ceremony

1. Amazingly brave. Wish I had as much guts as him. Wonderful.
    Reminds me of that great scene from Get Real.

1. George McCasland 24 Jan 2013, 6:10pm

How do we know that he is still not acting. He might be GSA or a Paedosexual, and still living in the closet?

2. Fantastic. What a great example of a young Gay man. Popular and self-confident. Good luck to him and congratulations.

3. Very impressed! not the longest speech, but then it didn’t have to be he was well prepared and articulate.

That his father prepared the foreword and concluding thoughts for his video say it all! “unconditional love, pride and acceptance”

If this young mans acting is as good as his character and integrity, he is an excellent example of class, and inspiration to to today’s young people

4. Thank you for sharing this .What an incredibly mature and eloquent young man ,but the reaction is very moving . Gives us all hope . X

5. So many times on these pages we read of people coming out , like celebrities and sports people , many later in their lives , when they have evolved a safe environment with money and support. Although them coming out is still valid and helps the community, it has always perplexed me that they should be awarded the titles such as hero, icon or idol. TO me this guy, in every day life , is my hero. Good luck

1. Spot on!

6. It takes a lot of courage to come out but probably even more so in school.

Knowing how cruel other peers can be he has been very courageous and I wish him all the best.

1. I came out at school in 1978, from which point the bullying stopped.

It turns out that bullies only pick on those they perceive as weak, and coming out is seen as brave. I wish I’d known that in the build up to my declaration! And I hope more young gay people will take strength from this video.

7. I watched and I had tears in my eyes for his bravery and the fact that someone in their teens could be so public and proud of their sexuality. I had to wait until I was 28yo before I could face the fact that I was Gay. Maybe those days are coming to an end…..is that too much to hope for?

1. David Myers 25 Jan 2013, 10:23am

Its not too much to hope for. That and more. That someday no young boy or girl will be terrorized into hiding their true selves for fear of judgement, violence, murder, or rejection. Things are moving our and everyone’s way (human rights for all is human rights for everyone). We still have to be activist and push for full equality but we also have to stand up for the rights of everyone else as well and to reject racism, sexism, and classism in our everyday lives and in the politics of each of our nations.

8. Kids would not have to ‘come out’ if homophobia didn’t exist. It’s THIS we should be addressing. WHY are people homophobic? Any phobia is an ‘irrational’ fear. So, is the driving force of homophobia an irrational fear of ones own same-sex attraction? People who are secure in their sexuality are NEVER homophobic.

1. Spanner1960 24 Jan 2013, 11:53am

Actually, they would.
      It’s not like we have a pink triangle tattooed on our foreheads, so unless you tell people, they usually don’t know.

“Mum, Dad. I’m gay.”
      “Thank God for that son, for a minute there I thought you were going to say you were black.”

9. Jock S. Trap 24 Jan 2013, 10:37am

Incredible in all senses, a brave speach but an amazing response. One that shows the world bigotry has no place in our world!

Fantastic!!

10. Spanner1960 24 Jan 2013, 11:51am

Wow.
    That boy has one pair of cahunas.

1. And one fantastic pair of parents too, I think.

11. What a wonderful boy – and he has the sort of Dad we would all have died for!!

12. Wow. Extraordinary to think that this has just happened in a secondary school little different from our 100s of secondary schools here in the UK.

And it’s an extraordinary contrast to my recollection from when I was at secondary school and I had the Head Girl publicly and very loudly humiliate me in front of the entire senior class with a sneering “Well, I’ve heard of bisexuals, but THIS (meaning me, a gay boy) is just RIDICULOUS!”

In those circumstances “bravely coming out” was a compolete impossibility. And to an extent those circumstances still exist in many schools today, and so, sadly, “bravely coming out” still remains out of the question for many young lesbians and gays.

We have a lot more work to do to change that.

13. God how I wish I had half the guts this young man has. I suffered a lot of harrassment and bullying from kids who called me queer and faggot as well as physical abuse at times. It left permanent scars that more than 40 years later are still painfull. I pray that soon no child ever has to be ashamed of who he is or live in fear because of other people’s ignorance.

14. Wonderful speech and a terrific reaction – one that would have been unimaginable even a decade or so ago.

I think much credit has to be given to his parents, who’re clearly extremely supportive. That his father made and posted the video is extraordinary in itself.

15. It brought tears to my eyes… especially the reaction of his peers.. Wonderful and brave young man,

16. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Jan 2013, 4:27pm

Fantastic. Now if the parents of gay school children in the UK supported their children in the same way, perhaps it will enable more to come out and diminish the amount of bullying in our schools. Teachers too can play a vital role in letting them know they have their support.

17. Jim middle tn 24 Jan 2013, 4:58pm

what a brave young man .. he has a great future ahead .. this was on yahoo news yesterday with all the homophobic comments …but my pro gay comment got a thumbs up ..glad to see it here and glad to know that young men such as him will carry on with her heritage

18. I’d be interested to know where this was. I’m guessing it’s not Louisiana, and not just because of their accents.