Obama: ‘Our journey is not complete until gay people are given equal rights’

1. I watched the inauguration i cried so much in pride. I believe that president Obama is this generations Martin Luther King. He is my Lincoln who freed the slaves, Obama will free the Gays. Very proud.

1. de Villiers 21 Jan 2013, 10:26pm

It is good and I am pleased that Obama won but gays are not slaves who need to be freed in the way that the blacks were owned, kept in chains and forced to work under the whip.

1. I was not comparing the two as identical, But in the United States our constitution and declaration of independence reaffirms our legacy that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. GAY people in a essences are 2nd class citizens this is not physical Slavery but an mental state of Slavery.

2. Calm down, dear.

2. That chokes me up. Really love that guy!

3. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Jan 2013, 7:52pm

Beautifully spoken.

Of course, our foes in the UK already see equality differently. Being treated separately (CPs) in their eyes is all the equality necessary to shut us up. Yet they wouldn’t want to be told they couldn’t marry but would have to settle for something much less.

I wish all three major party leaders would draw a line in the sand once and for all instead of deferring to and treating bigots with respect just because they don’t want to upset their religious beliefs.

4. bobbleobble 21 Jan 2013, 7:54pm

I was astounded when he mentioned Stonewall in the same sentence as Seneca Falls and Selma but when he devoted a paragraph of his speech to gay marriage I yelped with joy! That a president of the US could stand and say that just shows how far we’ve come in such a short time.

I like Obama and I hope he succeeds although I know the Republicans will be trying to stymie him at every turn.

5. True leadership, rather than the “We’ve always done things this way”.

6. Brett Gibson 21 Jan 2013, 8:24pm

I love his vision but I fear that the USA is no where near ready to except the rights of gay people. Least of all in the 13 states where gay sex was still illegal until 2003.

7. rick santorum 21 Jan 2013, 9:46pm

How’s closing Gitmo going? It should be simply to close… but despite promising to close it, it’s still open.

I hope you take LGBT rights more seriously

1. At least he volunteer to clean the shite left by the last moron president and thanks to moron republicans this job is mission impossible

8. Come over here Obama, and give our Government a kick up the proverbial on this issue!

Well said! Hope you achieve your other aims for the USA

9. Great speech, great president, shame democrats are minority in the senate

1. That There Other David 21 Jan 2013, 10:48pm

Democrats are in the majority in the Senate. It’s the House of Representatives that the Republicans control.

10. I’m not religious, but at this moment and almost forty-four years from that night, I would like to believe that the spirits of Sylvia Rivera, Marsha P. Johnson, and all of the unnamed, forgotten fighters have rustled the breeze with a sigh of hope.

It’s been such a long, long journey.

11. Pleased to see this reported so well by Mark Mardell on the BBC main news programmes.

Unfortunately, though, it seems the BBC children’s TV news programme, Newsround, is still largely shunning issues about gay rights and equality.

1. Here is the relevant report (CBBC at 6,50pm)

2. Just watched that CBBC clip. Thanks for posting. My jaw is on the floor. All the other things Obama spoke of were just business as usual issues – security, economy etc. what he said about Gay equality was completely historic. I cannot believe it was deliberately left out of that item. I will be writing to the BBC AGAIN!!!!!!

12. While Obama is making great strides for gay rights, ear in mind that he is camping down on freedoms in general.

On New Year’s Eve he renewed the National Defense Authorization Act which gives him sweeping powers to imprison anyone on US soil without cause or reason, has just legislated unmanned drones into his domestic society to spy on US citizens going about their every day business, and a raft of other measures that can at best be described as totalitarian.

I do hope he doesn’t turn out to be a wolf in sheep’s clothing but the omens aren’t good…

1. Given it’s a nation of many religious loons totting semi-automatic weapons, I’m not surprised at his “totalitarian” actions.

2. You just don’t like him, all your posts on this man are negative.

13. Helge Vladimir Tiller 22 Jan 2013, 10:30am

What a journey : I was beaten up as a child by my father- (due to my cross-dressing); several times ! In spite of an inborn heart error. I was attacked and harassed in the streets of my home town in Norway hundreds of times–without having a safe resort, or someone to help me. (In the period from 1960 to 1978)! Bad words from other members of the family. So today I have no contact at all with relatives—or family members. During this actual years I was mocked by police several times. (Homosexuality was punishable with one year in prison, according to law until 1972. ) I was denied to go through an education I was more than qualified for. ( In 1975 )—DUE TO MY IDENTITY !
    A warm hug to beautiful Obama ! He understands me –and he understands all our sisters and brothers around the World. Gay Pride ! I won in the end-

1. As a youngster during that period you stated (1960 to 1970s) I learned early on that after the basic necessities of life (food, water, shelter) the one thing most important to all humans is – – – THE NEED TO BE HEARD.
      Thank you, Helge, for posting your life experience so clearly. The world needs to hear more such stories of the way things were before Stonewall to realize how far LGBTQ people have come, and also know just how much further we all have to go in order finally to receive full citizenship, full equality. Yes, indeed, in the end you HAVE won, . . . we all have to one degree or another. The battle must continue along side our allies, people like President Obama, as there is so much more to do, and so many more stories to be heard.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 22 Jan 2013, 4:11pm

Thank you for your attention. That warms an old heart ! I’m open as a book- and have no restrictions whatsoever when it comes to telling my life story. I often write about homosexuality-and my own experiences- in newspapers here in Oslo. It is so rewarding to meet young girls and boys who give me an embrace and wish all gays and lesbians the very best ! My favourite activity today is to help gay and transgender persons who flee from Iran through the organization “I.R. Q. R.” in Toronto. This gives my life meaning and consequence !!
        Real love to Doug from Oslo and Helge-

1. Back at you, Helge! (from Fargo, ND, USA)