Overwhelming majority of Oxford Union students would be ‘glad to have gay parents’

1. I’m curious, what exactly is a “pretend father”? I can’t imagine even a single “argument” that would come even remotely close to making that statement seem logical and intelligent.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Jan 2013, 12:24pm

Quite right! It also implies that a single widowed or perhaps a divorced father who have no intention to remarry must also be construed as a pretence would it not, using Burrows’ illogical ‘reasoning’?

2. So they didn’t actually invite any gay parents then. Just a load of people sitting around talking about people like me, with no involvement from people like me or much idea about our lives.

1. Some would say it wouldn’t be the Oxford Union if they invited people who knew what they were talking about.

2. Actually they did – Phyll Opoku-Gyimah is a Lesbian mother. Very passionate speaker, although not the best of the evening. Mr Cohen was very good, as was the student opening for the proposition. Ms Burrows was an embarrassment to her own side. I do think that, however much I disagree with the opposition that George Hargreaves was a very good speaker.

3. I would have liked to have seen more reporting of the debate.

For example: Ms Burrows comments of Mr Cohen being a ‘pretend father’, what was his response, how did the others within the room react to these comments.

We already knew who was going to be in attendance, you have already reported on it.

Sometimes PN, the writing on some of your articles does leave a lot to be desired!

1. Agreed – there have been some pretty amateurish articles published of late, too. More phrasing and tone than anything else.

2. Jock S. trap 18 Jan 2013, 10:54am

totally agree but I guess it fair to assume the reaction by the fact of the vote… 345 to 21.

3. If you want to read some longer, more detailed articles, type something like “Oxford debate gay parent” into Google. PN does a great job as a front end to all kinds of LGBT news, and we can delve deeper ourselves into whatever specific items interest us after PN has alerted us to them.

4. Why is the flag shown in the picture flying upside down?

5. “Noah’s flood”? Please!!!!! Get a grip!!!!!

6. Cardinal Capone 18 Jan 2013, 9:54am

Glad to see such an overwhelming vote in favour. Well done Ben and team. Can’t help wondering what was this “administrative over site ” that prevented Mr. Lively from appearing? Was he,too, invited without authority by someone?

1. The audience is a generally a progressive one.
      Mr Lively’s visit has been delayed for several weeks; he will be visiting the Union in a fortnight individually to be challenged on his beliefs.

7. Jock S. Trap 18 Jan 2013, 10:52am

Thank you Ms Burrows… my son is fine Thank you and the only “sinister” and “travesty” about all this is the hatred from religion!

8. Mister Fister 18 Jan 2013, 11:32am

I don’t know how Ben Cohen or any other gay man can be a ‘pretend father’ but I dearly wish Lynette Burrows was a pretend person.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Jan 2013, 12:29pm

Well, you could say that she is a ‘pretend’ christian. No true christian would use such hateful, malicious rhetoric and judging others is hardly a christian tenet or value. Ironically, she has learned nothing from the verse in Leviticus 19:18 ‘Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.’ Hypocrite!

9. I hope Ms Burrows is aware of the fact that in the good old days, not only gays knew their place, but women as well. And theirs involved kids, kitchen and church, as universities would have been out of bounds.

1. Quite – as always it’s amusing, if predictable, just what they choose to see.

10. davvauxhall 18 Jan 2013, 12:17pm

How is Scott Lively even allowed to enter the country he is quite clearly a hater preacher and is currently involved in an international court case for stirring up persecution of lesbians and gay men in Uganda.

1. davevauxhall 18 Jan 2013, 12:21pm

actually maybe this was the adminstrative oversight that he is banned by the home office. (they no longer name individuals)

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Jan 2013, 12:31pm

Maybe we should all contact Theresa May just in case it has been overlooked? I was unaware names are no longer published. When did that happen and why I wonder?

11. Brett Gibson 18 Jan 2013, 12:44pm

This coming from well-educated minds, it gives me a lot of hope about the future for gay people!!

12. MELANIE NATHAN 18 Jan 2013, 3:38pm

Indeed the Oxford Union may qualify for its claim, ‘prestigious,’ however any dignity it thought it may have afforded itself will go down the tubes the moment it actually opens the doors and provides a stage to Scott Lively.

Perhaps Maria Rioumine, president@oxford-union.org does not realize that Scott Lively is to the world’s LGBTI community what Hitler was to Jews in the early stages of the Nazi’s anti-Jewish scapegoating and rhetoric. Lively has been sued by Uganda’s LGBT community in Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG) vs, Scott Lively, for conspiracy to persecute gays under The Alien Tort Act, in the U.S.A. http://oblogdeeoblogda.me/2013/01/11/hatemonger-scott-lively-invited-to-debate-gay-rights-at-prestigious-oxford-union/

13. Hardly a surprise, I’ve lived in Ox for all my life, and I swear every other guy is gay

14. Sure… and 99% of Miss World contestants want “world peace”.

Most of the time people simply say stuff they think other people want to hear.

15. ‘Overwhelming majority of Oxford Union students would be ‘glad to have gay parents’

This is a good example of an oxymoron and does not say very much for the standard of students at Oxford ! Parents have to be :
    Male & Female to even get started !

It’s a bit like saying ‘Overwhelming majority of PETA members would be ‘glad to have a fox burger’ – another oxymoron …..

1. oxyMORON

16. A crying shame that Nick Griffin wasn’t part of the ‘against’ side as I’m sure that that would have got up the nose of the Lynette Burrows. I remember reading extracts from an essay of hers years ago in which she seemed to have nothing but sympathy and admiration for the BNP yet still wanted the reader to know that she was ‘not a supporter’.