One million leaflets being handed out against equal marriage in marginal seats

1. If you don’t like same sex marriage, don’t marry someone of the same sex – that is as far as your rights go and I couldn’t give an airborne copulation about your bloody sky-psycho.

And this is what the government’s dawdling has done – prompted a rise in open hateful behaviour. Nice job.

1. some would say the dawdling was specifically to allow this kind of hate filled bigotry from hetros who believe marriage is an exclusive breeders club – despite 50% of them ending.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Jan 2013, 2:48pm

True, but….we haven’t been exactly organised or pro-active either. Quite appalling actually. Out4Marriage was all well and good what exactly did it achieve and what came after? There has been really nothing. C4M have been very active prior to and after the consultation and have kept momentum going. We haven’t. Complacency doesn’t win anything.

1. Keith Francis Farrell 16 Jan 2013, 6:04pm

sorry you are wrong, the Equality Network is still very busy here in Scotland, making sure we all have equal rights as are other group in this country, The only differance is that we dont have as much funding to be able to do leaflets etc, so call your local group and donate, to helpthe fight for equality

1. I just got in and found a similar leaflet soiling my doormat, kindly delivered by from the ‘Society for the Protection of the Unborn Child’. Sounds harmless enough, but it’s just a front for fundamental Christians.

The real nonsense is on the other side. It’s outstandingly abysmal. If it didn’t make me so angry I would have cried laughing. Luckily my MP is 100% pro equal marriage so this garbage will not wash with her.

They want people to order petitions, briefing packs and more leaflets from them. I urge you to write to them and say YES.

SPUC,
            3 Whiteacre Mews
            Stannary Street
            London SE11 4AB

2. . . . whilst this goes on . . . we sit back and do nothing . . . oh . . . and party on . . .

2. This is unbelievable. And it’ll take a hell of a lot of effort to hold my tongue if I happen to encounter any of this lot in the street.

1. Harriet -

Suggestion: don’t hold your tongue. Tell them, with the level of detail that a skilled proctologist would use, where they can cram their leaflet.

Then, stand right by them and say in a firm voice to everyone who takes a leaflet “These people are a front for the BNP!” No, it’s not true – but neither is anything in their leaflets. :)

2. Tim Chapman 16 Jan 2013, 5:47pm

Don’t waste the effort. If you see one, let rip. I certainly shall!

3. Prepare yourself with a multitude of relevant facts, and calmly take their arguments apart one by one.

That’s certainly what I intend to do if I’m offered a leaflet. If they won’t budge on their arguments, feel the bigger person. If they do budge, you might actually change their mind!

An 18 year old Christian I know recently told me they didn’t “mind gay people – but were disgusted at the idea of them marrying” (not knowing I was gay – a fact I did not reveal as I didn’t want them to agree with me simply to be polite). I remained perfectly calm and discussed each and every point they made. Within twenty minutes they were converted!

4. I intend to buy some mace, that should put an end to them.

3. It’s too late, dearies.

I expect many opposing will abstain.

Polls after poll has shown the public to be in favour and now the C4EM.org.uk has shown that the majority of MPs will vote in equal marriage.

Accept it, stop wasting money and move on!

1. poll after poll*

2. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Jan 2013, 2:02pm

If those who abstain think they’re safe, they’d better have another think. They will be the targets for defeat in 2015. They can run, but they can’t hide to disguise their homophobia and bigotry, pandering to their equally bigoted constituents who are the minority in this.

4. What? How totally bad is that?
    I hope I don’t meet one of the people handing out letters or I may not have to be restrained.
    If the C4M had one good argument I would see their point of view, but time and time again their arguments are just hot air and thinly veiled homophobia.
    Here’s looking to Valentines day!

1. have to be*

5. The pants of Colin Hart must be on fire: he’s a liar, liar, liar.

What does it say for your cause when you have to rely on outright lies?

6. Jane Bailey 16 Jan 2013, 1:46pm

Interesting how all these minority groups of bigots call the democratic process ‘undemocratic’ as soon as it looks like the outcome is not going to be what they want.

7. I’ve noticed a number of letters in various local papers, all using the same kind of language and repeating the same old lies. A number of the extremist ‘christian’ groups are bombarding their supporters with emails too linking to proforma letters and ‘facts’ to put in to what they write. They’re egging their supporters on to write and contact MPs.

A nasty, vindictive campaign. What hateful people they are. They’ll have their rights and beliefs protected so they shouldn’t have a problem, but all they care about is promulgating inequality and persecuting LGBT people. That’s their real motivation, in my opinion.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Jan 2013, 2:44pm

You have to hand it to them, Iris. They’re extremely well organised and extremely determined. We’re not! Apathy and complacency are recipes for failure.

1. They have money thrown at them from the US, I believe, Robert, so that helps them a lot (although apathy is also an enemy aswell as lack of money, you’re right). They also have some media fawning over them for their ‘christian’ opinions and stories of how ‘persecuted’ they are.

1. Keith Francis Farrell 16 Jan 2013, 6:10pm

This is the link for equality here in Scotland, there are others all over the UK that could use your help, and support, There are also detals of how to donate to the funding of their work

8. I think I’d struggle not to make a scene if I saw one of these people out and about. I’d like to think that 50% of people might remonstrate them a bit, and 99% would throw it in a nearby bin.

These activists still live in a world where they think it very unlikely that they’ll hand a leaflet to an actual gay person, or a family member or friend of one. Or even a person who is a fan of a gay celebrity. In their mind we’re still incredibly niche and unloved.

9. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Jan 2013, 2:20pm

I’m sick and tired of this bloody bigoted hate group C4M. About time something was done about groups trying to bully MPs into voting against the equality of a minority because its against religious beliefs, imposing their religion and homophobia on others.

How would they like it if we started handing out leaflets calling for disestablishment of the church? Maybe that’s not a bad idea after all.

1. Keith Francis Farrell 16 Jan 2013, 6:17pm

beter yet, we need to make sure the churches pay tax just like any business. The gay population contributes £40Billion to the contries coffers, we are not small fry, we are a financial powerhouse, we need tt stand together. Imagine how much we could do if we only contributed some of our income towards charities that work only for LGBT peple, provided safe hoes for children who are homeless because of beig gay, and provided self help schemes foryoung gay people to get them into business, etc, etc, there is so much that we could do

10. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Jan 2013, 2:24pm

They’ve already started to get to one MP, Sarah Newton, MP for Truro, Falmouth. Although she says she supports equal marriage, her decision will be formed when she attends a debate which will be comprised of mostly anti equal marriage opponents. This is not good news. C4M are determined to see equal marriage fail no matter what it takes.

11. If somebody handed me this leaflet I would say to them “oh thanks a lot, I’ve run out of toilet paper”. It might not be the most comfortable thing to wipe your arse with but it’s more useful for that than reading it!

12. garry Cassell 16 Jan 2013, 2:31pm

Just showing the church for exactly what it is…a very hateful group..will sponser any other group to carry out the dirty work…but still the church can’t hide the biggoted attitude that it contains…White and full of malace and hatred….Is it “what Jesus would do”?

13. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Jan 2013, 2:42pm

This is, like it or not, evidence as to how well organised this hate group is. Where are they getting their funding from I wonder? They seem to have endless resources don’t they?

We, on the other hand, have only had the Out4Marriage campaign which didn’t really get even half of what the C4M petition managed to get, even though some of its numbers were questionable.

I still think there has been a lot of apathy and complacency on our part. StonewallUK has been virtually silent since the consultation results were published. It’s really quite appalling that our side hasn’t been so proactive and vocal, letter writing aside and I suspect that hasn’t been exactly stellar either.

1. bobbleobble 16 Jan 2013, 3:13pm

Stonewall have been useless but their executive doesn’t really want equal marriage, remember Summerskill’s speech to the Lib Dems? They’re only ‘campaigning’ for it because their members forced them to. They don’t think we should want equal marriage and I suspect are mad at us for not bowing and scraping to them for civil partnerships.

So our response to C4M is very much muted because our major lobbyist group isn’t really interested in responding. They don’t care if equal marriage fails. Instead they’re busy patting themselves on the back for their company award whilst C4M gets away with murder.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Jan 2013, 3:22pm

Probably right. StonewallUK’s apparent silence and failure to intervene speaks volumes. Clearly they don’t represent everyone in the gay community. This is arguably the most important equality issue confronting the UK and exactly where are they in all this? I hope those who forced them into supporting equal marriage will no longer donate.

1. Stonewall exists purely as a provider of jobs for Summerskill and other professional charity-sector leaches.

Stonewall does not care about equal marriage. Initially they couldn’t give a toss, until enough of their funders threatened to pull “donations”.

Stonewall isn’t a real charity – it’s basically a scheme whereby corporates and the public sector purchase “diversity credits” and goodwill.

14. WHO is paying for all of this?

Why-its NO SURPRISE.

15. Do they seriously think that 627,247 is representative of the UKs population? There’s more people than that in Yorkshire alone!

They seem to think the government isn’t being democratic because these numpties think that just over half a million is representative of the UK…someone needs to go back to school!

1. I ordered myself tee shirt and when it comes I am so going to wear it….”Marriage Is So Gay!” :)

2. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Jan 2013, 4:45pm

Yes, Mickie, they do believe it’s representative. They’re very well organised, better than we are in fact.

16. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2013, 3:14pm

Just imagine the reaction had these one million leaflets been about anti-women or anti-black or anti asian… they are not acceptable…. and all in the name of religious bigots!

It’s pure discrimination.

17. If anyone sees any people handing out these leaflets, try and get as many of them as you can from each leafletter. Just say ‘I want some for my friends and family’ and then obviously just bin (recycle) them all. Wasting their resources is the best thing I can think of ^^

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Jan 2013, 4:43pm

Or, get as many as you can and tear them up in front of whomever is distributing them. Then have a good laugh and walk away.

2. Good idea re nabbing all the leaflets. I’d also like to go up to everyone who’d taken one and explain to them the cr@p and lies that are in the leaflet point by point. I bet they’re full of absolute rubbish!

3. see my response above (partially copied here to save your scrolling fingers!)

They invite people to order petitions, briefing packs and more leaflets from them. I urge you to write to them and say YES.

The more of us who ask for these things to be posted to us, the fewer they will have to send to real supporters and the more it will cost them. We can simply recycle it all, so at least it will do some good to society. Should you accidentally ‘forget’ to stamp your letter they will have to pay that postage as well…let your friends know so they can all do the same ;-)

SPUC,
      3 Whiteacre Mews
      Stannary Street
      London SE11 4AB

18. A peaceful chain of people holding hands surrounding one of these idiots would be great. It would only take 3 people per crony but draw a lot of attention.

19. I’m in the process of writing a lengthy letter to my MP. I have no problem with people having an opinion that is against equal marriage if it is clear they have thought through and come to a reasoned personal decision.

His reasoning for not backing equal marriage though, is that if put in place it will “create inequality” as homosexuals will have access to both marriage and civil partnerships while heterosexuals will not have access to civil partnerships.

It angers me that my representative MP has the gall to state this, and not have the courage and conviction to simply state that his religious or personal belief is against it.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Jan 2013, 4:42pm

Do you really buy his statement about the inequality of straights if gays have access to CPs and marriage? If that’s his reason, then why isn’t he supporting CPs for straights who want them? You should contact him and put that very question to him. Advise him to start his own campaign to make it possible if he’s so concerned about his inability to have access to a CP. Really call his bluff and flush out his bigotry. I bet you he would NEVER consider one if he were able to have access. We all know why, don’t we? How absolutely stupid are some of these MPs, as if we can’t read between the lines?

1. Way ahead of you Robert, your points are exactly what makes me angry about it. Such an ill conceived and badly thought statement that shows he lacks any understanding of the topic.

20. Craig Denney 16 Jan 2013, 3:39pm

Even my evangelical (and former ‘CARE’ supporter) pro-church MP is voting in favour of the motion.

The rightwing church is dead!

21. How much is this this operation costing them. £50,000 – £100,000? Could this money not be better spent by these animals on feeding the poor etc? I think any of their people seen handing out these leaflets should be glitter bombed. I’m buying some glitter tomorrow.

22. This looks to me like C4M are bidding to become the UK version of the Westboro Baptist church…

23. Rashid Karapiet 17 Jan 2013, 10:20am

Do you sometimes get the feeling that banging on about same-sex marriage is a deliberate ploy to distract from the more serious issues around homosexuality such as African Christian attirudes or the uniquely hypocritical attitudes of Islam? There are areas of the world where men holding hands in public can be officially punished – not, thank God, in India when I was growing up!

24. Hiten Patel 17 Jan 2013, 12:01pm

Great Opportunity for U.K. to shine.

YES to Gay Marriage.

25. GulliverUK 17 Jan 2013, 1:10pm

I get it. C4M = not for profit, like Christian Concern, but all part of The Christian Institute – a charity – which is not allowed to carry out political campaigns – if I understand it correctly. But all funded by the Catholic church and wingnuts from the US. A full investigation in to who actually funds them would be great, because it looks like they are, once again, breaching the meaning of the terms “charity” – they’ve been done before for this.

The areas where the Christian Institute is supposed to work doesn’t includes England + Wales. Can the money for the cards be traced back to The Christian Institute? The website is owned and run by The Christian Institute.

Handing out cards just makes them look stupid, although we need a concerned effort to contact all our local MPs, every gay person everywhere. Website? Automated contact your MP via email? Can we do it via C4EM?