Comment: South Africa is not a ‘Rainbow Nation’ if you’re gay

1. Christian Herbst 16 Jan 2013, 12:49pm

He is so correct in this statement. South Africa is still on the road of recovery from serious dysfunctional traditions and habits from the past. But also said with that, I have seen change in people in our country towards LGTBI people.

One can only pray and believe that God will heal our nation and the world.

Amen!!

2. Oh please I hear the gay scen is totally racist. clean your own back yard

1. Staircase2 16 Jan 2013, 2:56pm

Odd that’s James! comment should be voted down giving that racism is the historic rock bed of all of Suth Africa’s problems.

It would also be odd to believe that being oppressed would make someone sensitive to oppression endured by others.

The most important part of Tutu and Mandela’s message is that of solidarity and the Rainbow Coalition.

1. There are some irrational bitches on this site. Tory loving bigots. Cameron was working for Lamont when Thatcher supported aparthide so it’s no suprise that they will love seperation wether it be in class race or gender

2. Come back to me with the stories of gangs of gays murdering people over race and then you’ll have a valid comparison.

3. That There Other David 16 Jan 2013, 1:24pm

South Africa is a real nation of contradictions. For all the dreams of how it could be It’s highly bigoted in all directions and full of discrimination. However, because it doesn’t hide itself you always know who is on your side and who is against you. It can be quite refreshing after the backstabbing of most countries.

I worry about the future, when the likes of Mandela and Tutu are gone and a generation that never suffered being the have-nots in society take the reins of power. Maybe though they’ll surprise us all and choose to turn their nation into a shining star for all. I guess we’ll have to wait and see on that one.

4. Coenie W. Kukkuk 16 Jan 2013, 2:35pm

We could marry from 2006, not 1998 …

1. Ja, I guess he’s confused the decriminalisation case in ’98 with the marriage case in ’05/’06.

1. Yes, I was surprised because I thought The Netherlands were the first to legalize equal marriage in 2001.

5. Sadly, it’s only a matter of time before those GLBT protections crumble. Their current leader Zuma, who governs with a massive majority, is monumentally thick and a laughing stock outside of Africa. Pity there were no better men to carry on Mandela’s legacy.

1. That There Other David 17 Jan 2013, 1:23pm

As a Brit who used to live in South Africa I don’t consider Zuma a laughing stock. He’s the best of the (realistic) options on offer IMO. He’s also far from being thick.

1. He’s the best option? Thanks for supporting my point.
        He’s the one that took a shower after an alleged rape to cut the risk of contracting HIV. Yes?
        6 wives.
        20 children.
        Multiple rape and corruption charges.
        Same sex marriage is “a disgrace to the nation and to God”.
        Favourite song – “Shoot The Boer”
        “The ANC will rule South Africa until the return of Jesus Christ”
        “Minority groups have less rights”

He sounds pretty fu¢k!ng thick to me.

1. That There Other David 17 Jan 2013, 5:06pm

There’s a big difference between being stupid and being ignorant. Zuma’s attitudes are typically Zulu, but that doesn’t make him stupid. Not by a long way.

1. I disagree. An excuse for ignorance is not having exposure to other views. He has chosen to remain ignorant despite the many influences within his reach which, in my book, equals stupid.

6. damnedfilth 17 Jan 2013, 5:35pm

I have just come back fro Cape Town and it is one of the gayest places on earth. And you don’t get hotter than a hot Bok. The guys in the boys’ topless bar were even straight and had no problem with a load of old drunken Brits (not me of course, i was watching another table in abject horror) oggling and fondling them. They said they loved it and all their friends wanted to work at the bar and were hitting the gym in order to qualify.

Can’t speak for the High Veld though or the Townships for that matter

1. That There Other David 18 Jan 2013, 10:43am

I remember one weekend in rural Gauteng where my two friends and I turned up at a guest house run by a stereotypical old Boer (big white beard, big belly, red face). A hippy, a gay guy and a woman of mixed Indian/African descent all turning up together. He was polite enough, but we all noticed he couldn’t look any of us in the eye the entire time we were there :-)

Back in Durban the Zulu men I knew would openly (and repeatedly) talk to me how they couldn’t understand why I didn’t like women, and would go into great descriptions of everything they loved about the female form, which led to some amusing admissions that I’m sure their wives would be horrified to discover. They didn’t get the concept of a man being into men, but there was nothing malicious in that. I guess it takes some external pressure for lack of understanding to become anything nasty.

7. Sjoe, so many negative comments. Homosexual South Africans are no more racist than the average population but to say we have gotten no where is crazy.

Prior to ’94 we had no rights so when someone disagreed with you what leg did you have to stand on? Well I came out about a year ago to family and friends and to be honest if it was not for our progressive laws my parents would have died.

But instead I could explain that I can still get married and I can still have kids, that dream is not gone.

Believing in some magic man to fix things is going to get us nowhere, you need to be open and proud about the love of your life – people can relate to that and they will soon realise you are no different to them.

8. I am South African born, but have a British passport. I lived in England for 10 years and I as a gay man, was shown more homophobia and came across more bigots than I have ever in SA. I was gay bashed when I was 18 and a week later a friend of mine was killed by the same guy. I attended British colleges and schools and I attended South African schools, by far the most abuse and homophobic actions were found in the British school. I personally feel more accepted and comfortable living in SA then the UK.