Survey: Three in five people in Wales support equal marriage

1. Cardinal Fang 14 Jan 2013, 7:30pm

3 in 5, that’s good. Simpler to say 60% though.

1. I like 3 in 5. When you visualise a crowd it means a lot of supporters.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Jan 2013, 8:18pm

I can just imagine how Comres would skew this poll saying 3 in 5 are against equal marriage.

Good news though.

3. I love Wales. I’ve never had any problems there as an Englishman or a gay Englishman. Always had the warmest of welcomes is North and South Wales.
    I always laugh when English people complain about Welsh people speaking Welsh… well, what do you expect them to speak? I think they’re wonderful for speaking English when required because English schools would rather teach Urdu than Welsh!

1. Thanks Jeremy, the Welsh never cease to be surprising, I’m proud of my countrymen for being so enlightened – including the people of faith!

2. Well I agree with the Welsh being friendly and welcoming but let’s be honest, there’s no need for people outside of Wales to learn Welsh, is there? The fact is that English is a global language and Welsh isn’t, Urdu too is a global language. Urdu is really the same language as Hindi (they are mutually intelligible and together known as Hindustani) and together they are spoken by approximately 490 million people as opposed to Welsh which is spoken by a mere 720,000. England in particular has a very large population from the Indian subcontinent so it makes sense that they teach Hindustani in England….

1. I mean has a very large population with family originating from the Indian subcontinent, most were born here and they are British.

2. GingerlyColors 15 Jan 2013, 5:15am

There is a Welsh speaking community in Patagonia, Argentina, a country which now enjoys marriage equality. It is a shame that there is so much bad blood between us and the Argentinians at the moment.

4. Am I missing the link to the actual poll? I like to look at who commissioned ALL polls and their methodology whether I think the results are good or bad. I want to know these things about ResCom polls and I want to know these things about Stonewall polls.

Alas, PinkNews didn’t even provide a link to the results of the poll much less the methodology.

I can only hope that the poll is legitimate.

1. Make that “ComRes”.

5. Having passed same sex legislation back in July 20 2005 . Canada entrenched these rights in its Bill of Rights . Read what the HRCC says about these rights. http://www.chrc-ccdp.ca/legislation_policies/submission_marriage-eng.aspx#conclusion .

6. GingerlyColors 15 Jan 2013, 5:23am

Wales is generally considered LGBT friendly. No doubt more conservative attitudes still prevail in the rural areas but the major towns and cities in the south have opened up to gay people. If you are in Cardiff it is well worth paying a visit to Mermaid Quay adjacent to the Millenium Centre just to see how positively people there feel towards gay people. I do not deny that homophobic attitudes still exist in Wales – even Holland is not 100% homophobia free – but Wales certainly appears to be one of the most progressive places in the UK.

7. As a gay Scotsman living in a small village in South Wales for the past 6 years, I have had absolutely no trouble at all.

Indeed, in my wee village there are 14 registered civil partnerships, including my own.

1. GingerlyColors 15 Jan 2013, 1:56pm

Where’s that then? I am pretty sure it won’t be Llanddewi Brefi!

8. I recently had a superb email supporting equality in marriage from Hywel Williams Plaid Cymru MP for Arfon.

9. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 19 Jan 2013, 9:30am

Does Wales have a proposal to allow same-sex marriage (the same proposal as England and Scotland)?

I hope so, since there is 60% support for same sex marriage in Wales!

Can Wales introduce there own laws and does Wales have it’s own Parliament to introduce bills on it’s own for example?