Guardian columnist Suzanne Moore apologises for ‘Brazilian transsexual’ remark

1. Ginger Beer 14 Jan 2013, 4:56pm

Great – so a left-leaning feminist has effectively been silenced and cowed into submission. What a fantastic advance for women, both cis and trans. You must all be so very proud.

1. That There Other David 14 Jan 2013, 5:06pm

Oh, don’t be so melodramatic. She’s left Twitter, that’s all. It’s hardly bundled into the back of a Transit and renditioned to Camp X-Ray.

I welcome her apology, even if I’m not in a position to accept it. Now, let’s see if Julie Burchill can be adult enough to do the same.

1. Ginger Beer 14 Jan 2013, 6:21pm

I sincerely hope JB doesn’t offer one single word of apology. The internet outrage warriors can eat her dust.

1. That There Other David 14 Jan 2013, 8:37pm

Oh I’m sure she won’t willingly apologise. She’s one of those that never admit they’re wrong.

Even when they completely and totally are.

2. Burchill won’t apologise. She’ll just play the victim card – a common ploy from bullies and bigots.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Jan 2013, 5:50pm

Come off it. If she’d said equally nasty things about black people or any other ethnic or religious denomination she would have been sacked.

1. Ginger Beer 14 Jan 2013, 6:22pm

She’s a freelancer as far as I’m aware, she can’t be sacked.

3. Another Hannah 14 Jan 2013, 6:25pm

Feminist? She’s to thick to think, let alone be a feminist.

1. Hodge Podge 14 Jan 2013, 7:14pm

*too

(Besides, thick is ablest, lets be intersection ;-) )

1. Hodge Podge 14 Jan 2013, 7:17pm

*intersectional. Instant karma for being a smart arse there.

4. I agree. Chill out everybody. Can’t somebody that is open minded make ironic camp comments? In the end, it will be personalities like Suzanne Moore that convince your average person to be more accepting and to talk about trans issues. It won’t be the silencing academics and uptight censors.

2. Cardinal Fang 14 Jan 2013, 5:07pm

Doesn’t that photo look like Janet Street-Porter in a wig?

I bet the blessèd Janet would give her a few salient comments to think about.

1. jammyshark 17 Jan 2013, 2:34pm

3. this is the storified ‘threatening abuse’ of which she speaks?

1. A very raw, angry and in anybody’s book, offensive splurge from La Moore there!

1. Ginger Beer 14 Jan 2013, 6:23pm

Provided completely free of any context whatsoever.

4. kai weston 14 Jan 2013, 5:11pm

I think she actually took some time to think about what had happened, and has come back with a well thought out response. Also Paris’ open letter to her was excellent, thankyou for this Suzanne.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Jan 2013, 5:49pm

Well, maybe the prospect of losing her job might have brought about this sudden back-tracking. If she really thought she was wrong, she would have issued an apology immediately. I suspect she doesn’t regret one word of what she said.

6. Burchill must be feeling a bit stupid now.

7. WTF Really 14 Jan 2013, 6:20pm

Moore never apologized! Good grief. Gets credit for an apology and didn’t actually make one. She basically said she can’t have fun on twitter.

8. Another Hannah 14 Jan 2013, 6:31pm

The Guardian is evidently intent on becoming the new News Of The World

9. I don’t know if you’ll read this Suzanne but just in case you do – thank you. I’m really glad that you felt able to first read Paris’ letter and then come forward and say that you’re willing to talk further. I hope better understanding can be gained all round.

I’m sure we’d all rather see a better world and equality for all rather than simply replace the current top group with another.

10. So out of 14 tweets where she complains about the abuse given to her and how she can not make stupid remarks on twitter anymore, she uses one of them to apologise, and also in the same tweet cries the victim card. Hardly an apology. Not once does she mention how the offensive remarks she made were an error of judgement and that she needs to rethink her transphobic thoughts and feelings. Birchill, Bindel and Moore are transphobic – everything they have said/written in response to the original Brazillian stereotype proves that, and nothing in the tweets says anything otherwise. Paris’ open letter was a brilliant response, and I’m sure that Moore is rethinking her position, but the tweets in this article hardly make up for some of the offensive things she has written, that I don’t want to repeat here.

11. Finally the ignorance of life through the lens of academia.. has been exposed. Many people, from minority groups and from less advantageous backgrounds have been subjected to scathing and unfeeling analysis for decades.

For me this quote just about says where these ‘people’ are coming from

“The projection of academic ideology on to minorities and marginalised groups, in denial of their own lived experience, is the very thing that feminists have been battling for centuries”

12. “Red essay had ben round for months and not a single complaint on my use of ‘Brazilian transsexual’ as one of many idealised body shapes.”

That’s actually not true, Suzanne. Your essay was first published in the Comment is Free section of the Guardian in February 2011. When I posted a comment in the thread under my moniker ‘3genders’ saying that in my opinion you referenced Brazilian transsexuals in a transphobic way it mysteriously got deleted by the CiF moderators. If you were the one who reported my criticism of your transphobia as offensive then you might already know that it is not the truth that you have not ‘received one single complaint’ previously about it.

13. 99% justification, 1% mea culpa. These lefty journalists who know so many big words seem to find sorry one which sticks in the throat.

14. Tony Memory 17 Jan 2013, 2:38pm

I for one do not accept her apology. She needs to keep her moth shut until her brain engages in an area of raw, hurtful and cruel comments. She would see those that accept an apology as weak! Saving her livelihood and laughing as she does it. Enough of bending over to prove how accommodating we in the GLBT community are.

15. Joanna Wagner 17 Jan 2013, 6:20pm

So the tranny prigs really got their gaffs in a knot over this. It was a good simile, Brazilian transsexual. It conveyed to me a picture of a tall, large breasted woman with a perfectly sculpted, tan body. It was actually complimentary to the appearance of Brazilian trannys. Wouldn’t I like to pass that well? Yes I’m M2F Oops, I used the T-word twice now, which even though myself and TG friends have referred to ourselves with this word for years we are now told it’s the equivalent of the N word. And my natal female friends I’m supposed to call cis because someone that I’ve met and don’t like says I should.
    I loath and avoid the activist community like the plague just as I despise other people that are strident and humourless.