Boris Johnson offers Olympic venues to organisers of the 2018 Gay Games

1. Staircase2 13 Jan 2013, 4:00pm

Given the fiasco he helped create at last years World Pride I think it’s highly unlikely to enamour himself to the Gay Games Organisers (many of whom may well have been personally inconvenienced by Boris, MET and Westminster’s collective decisions to pull the plug on the event by reframing every single aspect of its planning.)

It would be a wonderful thing to have the Games here and a great use for those venues.

But maybe Boris et all should have thought about that before goose-stepping all over World Pride…?

Funny how they think of one event as important and the other as non-existent.

…Someone must have whispered in his ear methinks…

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Jan 2013, 4:58pm

Wow, way to ignore what actually happened or at least change them.

Wasn’t it actually because of bad management at London Pride whose own pride took over rather than admit they didn’t have enough money?

Blame all you want I guess but lets not lie about facts.

1. Staircase2 14 Jan 2013, 3:20pm

No, not entirely

The facts unrolled throughout the week before World Pride and shortly afterwards. Most of which were denied by the Boris camp but were repeated by enough different unconnected sources to have a ring of truth about them.

Even if we assume that all those various commentators were all lying (and I personally don’t for a second believe they were), the fact that such a major international festival would be devastated only days beforehand on Boris’s watch in itself demonstrates a lack of firm leadership on his part.

My point is a valid one. Even if I’m wrong, the fact he was in charge of London when World Pride went tits up is not likely to inspire confidence when he invites the Gay Games over is it…

2. Gay games?

No thank you.

Black games, Islam games,

It goes against all the equality that the gay community has been striving for and is beginning to achieve.

1. What’s ‘against equality’ about having gay games Polly? You’re probably one of those dreadful people that thinks we shouldn’t have pride too for the same reason.

2. Jock S. Trap 13 Jan 2013, 5:01pm

I’m sorry but unlike being black or Muslim too many LGBT people are excluded from major events simply because of their sexuality.

If the Gay Games can do anything on the scale that can make a positive change of opinion I’m all for it.

Remember LGBT haven’t asked to be excluded it seems to have been falsely accepted by people. We have the right to be included.

1. This is the first time I heard the LGBT are excluded from major sports events. UK athletic does not ban LGBT people from taking part in sports. I should know as I am a member of England athletic and UKA. I can also confirm that there are exclusive LGBT athletic clubs who members of UKA which include London frontrunners running club.

3. Staircase2 14 Jan 2013, 3:25pm

@Polly No it doesn’t…

It’s an exercise in VISIBILITY – working towards full Equality.

It’s about confounding existing limiting stereotypes and showing them to be false.

It’s about demonstrating that Gay people DO exist, despite denials from many countries around the world (who often hypocritically then turn the law against us).

It’s about showing we are strong when so many believe we are weak.

It’s about showing we look just like ‘You’

4. The gay games have been around for 30 years. What’s your problem! It’s not like someone just last year and thought..’Wow the LGBT community did great in the Olympics…lets start our very own!’

1. This was aimed at Polly by the way

3. Jock S. Trap 13 Jan 2013, 5:02pm

This would be excellent for the country… Lookin forward to it!

4. How have I only just learnt about the Gay Games today?! I think it would be fantastic for London to host them in 2018; it would raise so much more awareness of the event and LGBT equality- I’m honestly a little shocked I’ve never heard of this before, so it’ll be fantastic to have more people in this country know about it.

(I’m just wondering, though- does everyone in the LGBT community know about these Games? I only just fully accepted my own bisexuality, but still- I’m feeling incredibly ignorant. These Gay Games are going to be very good at boosting awareness to others who aren’t LGBT.)

1. Staircase2 14 Jan 2013, 3:27pm

I agree, they should be far better publicised than they generally have been in the past.

Especially in light of the tremendous success that was the Disability Games last year.

2. Well lets face it…until London 2012 there were people out there who didn’t know the Paralympics existed!

But I was the same…I’d heard something about someone wanting gay Olympics, but I thought someone was taking the mess. Really pleased they exist. It will be amazing if we get it!!!

5. WTF are Gay Games? Cringe

1. Leviathen at London2018 14 Jan 2013, 5:10pm

Promoting Inclusion, Participation and Personal Best

6. Will keep my fingers crossed that we get these.

I play in a gay bowling league and would love to be able to do that at the games!

1. If we get the games I will be taking part in one of the long distance running events.