Guardian columnist Suzanne Moore leaves Twitter following transphobic row

1. When did the use of “tranny” become bloody acceptable? That’s no different surely to dyke or faggot. Are we actually still digging here?

And please, no one who willingly places themselves on a soapbox is guaranteed an approving audience. Surely someone who writes for the papers knows this? (Honestly, I know this just posting comments on Pink News because I have 2 mins to spare).

If there is a safety issue, actual personal threats, then absolutely take action. By virtue of her usage of her professional name, perhaps she feels more threatened than I could ever feel on Twitter. No one should ever have to feel actual menace. If that is the reason to withhold the account, perhaps due to a current police report, then fair enough.

If not, please no “help help I’m a victim” bunk in a future column. That’s a means of trying to silence dissent while adopting an undue mantle of martyrdom.

1. Seamus Smith 12 Jan 2013, 3:53am

Any woman who DARES to disagree with the current “trans” cult — especially on-line, receives a flood of hateful death threats, is told to commit suicide, is told to drink bleach, is told “I hope you die in a fire — and may it be soon”, etc. etc. etc.

There is no “if” about it.

1. Catherine Ditheridge 12 Jan 2013, 7:52pm

Just because there are a couple of trans people who overreact to people making offensive comments online and stoop to the level of personal attacks and threatening behaviour doesn’t mean that these trans people represent all other trans people.

In any demographic there will be people who tarnish the image of the group. In feminism its people like Cathy Brennan with a noxious second wave narrative aimed more at revenge than equality. In Trans people its the overly aggressive trans activist who sends death threats to bigots. As a trans-woman and feminists I have to deal with both of these sub-groups giving good causes bad names. I just want to be left to live my life in peace and be afforded the the same opportunity to live a good life as everyone else.

2. ...Paddyswurds 14 Jan 2013, 5:00pm

Hear Hear….

2. I don’t tweet and am not on twitter. I don’t have a Facebook page. I don’t write a blog or read those of others. Am I odd? I feel perfectly happy and, as an iMac; iPhone; iPod; iPad; and Kindle user, I’m no technophobe. Am I missing something?

1. You seem to have rich and wonderful gadget free life. Good on you. X

1. ” iMac; iPhone; iPod; iPad; and Kindle” Hardly gadget free….

1. scene1_take2 12 Jan 2013, 3:11am

“Myself” must have meant social media free life.

2. exo ra luna 13 Jan 2013, 6:02pm

but, you take the time to announce this on an article of inflammatory language that was on Twitter, in ‘The Pink News’ . If you take the time to join a social network, you might find something you like. I like Twitter and Facebook because they both provide me with articles I might want to read that I might not ever see.
      I have several ‘acquaintances’ some I have known my whole life, some I have met in RL., people who think similar to me.
      They both provide me a soap box on which to say what I want to say.
      Finally, both of these particular sources (I have found) are a huge advantage of changing the way the world thinks in the 21st century.
      Try it, or not, you might like it.

3. Terry Stewart 11 Jan 2013, 5:19pm

What do you expect from people who write for The Spectator and then have the cheek to call themselves Journalists.

Reminds me of the Naffola I met that said he was a Journalist. I asked him which paper he wrote for and he said “The News of the World”.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Jan 2013, 5:37pm

She can get back on to Twitter using a different alias. She just couldn’t take the heat, cowards always run when they know they’ve lost and that’s just what she is, along with Bindel. I find it odd that Bindel would tweet PN thinking she’d get a sympathetic ear in defence of Moore.

1. I see no criticism of either Moore or La Bindel on Pink News itself. It’s been left to the commenters to take them to task.

5. Ultimatly i think she was just making reference to how womens fashoin on the catwalk always go for the extremly slim androgenous look which for most women is unatainable. take a look at the original article, she isnt in any way attacking or dehumanising the trans community in my eyeys

1. But clearly some of the trans community do not agree. Since it is their reality, their life and experience, I am inclined to listen rather than assert insight and authority while possessing neither.

The line was ill-advised, I winced and thought it was a stupid thing to say. People with experiences that don’t match mine approached her and it got very ugly against them very quickly. I was offended by how she addressed the trans community (mockery about GRS for example) just as I would be offended by a racist remark, although I have never been on the receiving end of one.

She is the journalist, she is the one with all the power here. People on twitter really have none, no matter what she may think. And she used that position of power to try and silence dissent – both by using inflammatory language (I don’t believe for a moment she doesn’t realise this and it wasn’t done quite on purpose) and by wielding a more powerful voice in published articles.

She is no ally of mine.

1. “But clearly some of the trans community do not agree”

so effing what? doesn’t mean they are right!

1. there are many views and realities and one should feel able to express these without any kind o witch hunt

2. exo ra luna 13 Jan 2013, 6:13pm

Valsky: I tried to give a thumbs up on your comment. unfortunately, I hit the wrong button, which gave u one less thumbs up. I tried to change it by hitting my screen to change my vote. In the process of my anxiety to change my vote and punching my screen, I accidentally ‘reported’ you post. Unfortunately, I do not know how to change those. So, hopefully a moderator will see this and change votes and reports accordingly. Sorry ’bout that, man!

6. Jason Feather 11 Jan 2013, 6:11pm

Storm? Teacup? Why is everyone always ‘offended’ these days? Call me what you like I don’t take offence as Mr Fry says:

“It’s now very common to hear people say, ‘I’m rather offended by that.’ As if that gives them certain rights. It’s actually nothing more… than a whine. ‘I find that offensive.’ It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. ‘I am offended by that.’ Well, so fucking what.”

Lets concentrate on helping those trans people that suffer rape, violence or death rather than these endless pointless ridiculous debates about what’s offensive or not its petty & childish. Meanwhile gay & trans individuals face real suffering around the world.

1. Put it this way – In a more progressive country with good anti-discrimination law and a cultural zeitgeist that does not approve of, enable or tolerate hate speech against lesbians and gay men provides both a better standard of living, and greater personal safety, to those lesbians and gay men.

We see all the time that an institutional level approval of homophobia gives people permission to mistreat, degrade and harm us. The same is true for trans people. Violence against subsets of people, especially those with less power, does not happen in a vacuum.

I would hope that Suzanne Moore realised the power of voices, especially those with any kind of authority (her voice is more powerful and authoritative than mine, for example), with regards to how they shape and influence culture. If she doesn’t know this, then she really has no business in the media.

2. friday jones 12 Jan 2013, 12:06am

I dunno, Jason, telling people in a group you’re not a part of what they should be concerned about seems a bit paternalistic. Isn’t it a known variant of concern trolling to tell women that they are not focusing on the important issues, and that the issue of concern under discussion is too trivial?

When Azealia Banks called Perez Hilton a “messy faggot” last week, should everyone have let it pass without comment because of Uganda? And if we are asserting a hierarchy of needs upon LGBT activism and discussion, then why are we prioritizing same-sex marriage over ENDA?

1. Does any one think perez hilton isnt a messy faggot?

7. Suddenly Last Bummer 11 Jan 2013, 6:29pm

Suzanne Moore, she’s a bit of a hoor.

8. Lesley Stafford 11 Jan 2013, 7:11pm

Some radical feminists and right wing, pseudo-Christian commentators are now adopting the mantle of victim when they are attacked for their transphobic comments. Moore will no doubt do the same. The “Brazilian transsexual” comment was intended to be insulting to trans women everywhere, she knew it was insulting when she wrote it and she wanted to make matters worse when she chose to defend this nasty comment. Remarks like this are never “throw away” never innocent. And they contribute to the climate of macho hatred of anything female that is the basis of domestic violence, rape, and the wolf-whistling insults and sexist shit so many women endure on a daily basis. Sick, sad and pathetic. I await the emergence of Moore the victim of tranny fascism sometime soon. She just cannot see how all women suffer when comments like this are acceptable. They are not – all prejudice IS prejudice; all discrimination IS just discrimination.

1. Seamus Smith 12 Jan 2013, 4:02am

You’ve GOT to be kidding. Spend ten minutes on-line pretending to be a female feminist. You’ll get INSTANT death threats from the so-called “trans” community.

It’s part of their mental condition, apparently.

The only men on-line who are nastier to females than male “trans women” are the males who infest the rape threads on Reddit.

Even doctors who write research papers they don’t like are threatened with violence, have their children threatened, etc.

It’s a sick crowd — sick as in seriously mentally disturbed. I’m appalled every time I encounter a woman who defends them. She might as well take off her own shoe and shoot herself in the foot for all the good she is doing women in general.

Wake up, women. Pay attention. Stop pandering to heterosexual male “trans women” — men who are about as feminist as your local MRA meeting.

1. Thank you, Seamus. Excellent post. A number of the most violent men purporting to be women do seem to be suffering from serious psychosis.

2. Catherine Ditheridge 12 Jan 2013, 8:02pm

Again, the actions of a few idiots don’t represent the majority of the trans community. Most of us are too busy trying to avoid being attacked physically and verbally, trying to obtain medical care and trying to find jobs to give a shit what you do with your time.

Just like the vitriolic hate speech championed by the rad fem movement (possibly MRA’s best friends in terms of the public image of feminism). A small minority can have a hugely detrimental effect on a good cause’s image.

9. martyn notman 11 Jan 2013, 8:25pm

bye! dont let the door hit you in the face on the way out…ooops clearly that horse has already bolted!….

10. Suzanne Moore doesn’t really need twitter. Thousands read her excellent newspaper articles.

1. No one really needs twitter.

11. Oh for goodness sake, trans women. You are not doing your cause any good, nor the gay community’s, by whining so much. No one ever admired a whinger. Do something valiant and admirable for a change.

1. NaomiClareNL 11 Jan 2013, 11:05pm

In 2012 nearly half of the transpeople that were killed worldwide (that we know of) and were remembered on Transgender Day of Remembrance were from Brazil, almost all were transwomen. As long as we are killed in broad daylight, execution style or stoned to death while society turns a blind eye we are going to make ourselves heard. Ditto the #transdocfail thing. We won’t be silenced anymore.

1. Seamus Smith 12 Jan 2013, 11:13am

How many natal/biological women were murdered in 2012?

Do you know? Do you care?

Women would love to be able to have the freedom to CHOOSE whether or not to be endangered by their sex.

No such luck in the worldwide patriarchy.

1. This is why this conversation is so frustrating, and it exposes very well why Moore’s original comments are so destructive for ALL women.

1) What is the underlying cause of murder of cis women (what you call ‘natal women’)? Misogyny.

2) What is the underlying cause of trans women being murdered at an astronomical rate? A particularly potent variety of misogyny (aka trans-misogyny) that is directed at trans women on the false belief that they “choose” to be women (who are hated– see point 1).

Instead of fighting against misogyny, Moore’s comment is the kind of thing that incites women to turn on each other.

12. “the ideal body shape – that of a Brazilian
    transsexual.”

What is offensive about that?

1. Silverfish 12 Jan 2013, 1:06pm

I don’t get it either
      I kind of wish people would stop saying “Omg i am offended” and start explaining why they find it offensive.
      It can’t be because of the murder of Brazillian transexuals, could it? Its not like she said “like dead Brazillian tranexuals”…at the moment, to an outsider like me, it looks the same as though if someone had been shouted at for making a reference to children becausr jimmy saville exists.

13. friday jones 11 Jan 2013, 11:54pm

Weird how someone can get a regular newspaper column and still believe that it’s somehow “bullying” when people object to that column carrying objectionable statements about the least powerful members of society.

The bully is the one with the power who starts the ruckus, Ms. Moore.

14. Seamus Smith 12 Jan 2013, 3:50am

Trannies are out of control. Their hate for natal (real, biological) women is sick, sick, sick, sick, sick.

The violent hate speech, death threats, sexual threats, relentless bullying, etc. are acceptable within the “trans” cult because so many of them share this bone-deep antipathy for biological women — but real women are horrified at the violent hate-speech directed at their biological sisters by these dudes in drag.

What? I’m not supposed to say “trannie” but they can tell women to “die in a fire”? Heck, no.

It think we’ve reached “peak trans” and shark jumping is in progress.

I’m a member of the LGB without the T. Good riddance. Their abusive behavior towards lesbians and bisexual woman has NO PLACE in the LGB.

1. Indeed. Trans has nothing in common with the fight for LGB rights and we do ourselves a disservice in being associated with these people.

2. What a load of horsesh*t !!!! Go back under your bridge with your hatred and phobia. I am a gay man I am not trans but I will fight with my last breath the nasty viscious small minded idiots that want to blame the trans community for the bigotry of others. Go join the pope he will love you.

3. Hodge Podge 12 Jan 2013, 6:46pm

My trans friends are some of the coolest feminist people I know. This just doesn’t ring true.

15. There is nothing wrong with being a trans person but I still do not understand why LGB has to have the T tacked on. Being gay and being trans are two different things!

1. Trans* feminist. 12 Jan 2013, 10:19pm

Because we’re all minorities. Take it or leave it. Don’t worry, we don’t like being tagged on to LGB either, mainly because we get ignored most of the time and then it ends up that half the LGB are transphobic.

Saying that I have an amazingly supportive LGBT+ Uni group, so much so we did a trans/gender awareness week in november.

2. Compared to the throwing together of the L and the G with their disparate life experiences and communities at loggerheads from time to time, surely adding in the other letters isn’t that great a leap.

16. Surprise Surprise Julia Burch has come to her friends defence stating that ‘Transsexuals should cut it out’ accusing the community of bullying her friend whilst in using derogatory language towards the so call ‘bullies’ http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/13/julie-burchill-suzanne-moore-transsexuals?INTCMP=SRCH

1. great article from julie burchill

2. Disgusting hate speech, which is no surprise coming from Burchill. What is outrageous is that it should be published in The Observer.

17. Jeanie Wallenstein 17 Jan 2013, 1:55pm

I’m sorry dears. I was so fearful of transitioning that I waited until I was in my 50’s to do it. But I use the word tranny referring to myself. And which one of you hasn’t looked at a Brazilian T-woman and sighed. The media is what it is. It is paid to play to the sensational and even the most professional of the lot is an ambulance chaser and a fire starter. So carry sand.