Liam Fox: Gays should be treated with respect – but banned from marrying

1. Tory filth.

Load of faux-intellectual nonsense.

1. Nixi Otemba 10 Jan 2013, 1:26pm

next loony bigot please

1. Just a theocrat posing as a democrat.

1. I respect you Liam but you should be banned from breathing.

Be very careful when you stick your neck over the gay parapet love.

2. lets just change the good docs title to

NURSE

2. Adam Werritty?

1. most likely dr. fox has practiced what he preaches. didn’t he marry a woman and not his sidekick?

3. morons like this Tory crap should not be treated with respect. They should also be banned :) See how you like it when you are treated like a 2nd class citizen.

4. Contradiction in terms. If you’re refusing equality, you’re not showing us respect.

5. Cardinal Fang 10 Jan 2013, 1:21pm

1) He says ” If this were simply an argument about righting a wrong, with no other consequences, it would not be creating so much division.”
    Righting wrongs very often does create division, more than that it has caused wars, such as in the United States over the abolition of slavery, or in Europe over people wanting the freedom not to be Catholic. And there was opposition to civil partnerships from many of the same people opposing equality of marriage. The Catholic Church (hierarchy) globally vigorously opposes any legal recognition of gay relationships.

2) “why not exempt the Catholic Church which has been even clearer in its opposition.”

Because it is exempt, and because it is not the legally established church of the land, which is what is supposedly worrying the extreme rightwingnuts of the C of E, however these concerns are not genuine, imho.

6. I have not heard any of the gay friends that I have clamour for same-sex marriage in the way that they demanded the right for civil partnerships.

That’s probably true, because at least there is some legal recognition of gay couples now. That doesn’t mean, however, that the removal of the distinction between CP and marriage isn’t still necessary.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Jan 2013, 3:06pm

Well, there’s a simple response to that. There was nothing else on the table except civil partnerships. Blair and StonewallUK had avoided equal marriage because of the can of worms it’s now unleashed by the religious nutters.

I just don’t understand why he’s getting into a hissy fit over the ban on the CoE from particpating in same-sex marriages. Weren’t they the ones who were spreading lies and misinformation claiming they could be sued or forced to perform marriages for gay couples? The government responded and gave them what they wanted and now idiots like this are trying to portray the church as the victim? It never wanted equal marriage to begin with so his ‘reasoning’ is lame and unwarranted. Stupid bigot, but then that’s a Tory for you.

7. the difference between civil partenrships and marriage is that, you can come on the bus , but sit a the back!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Jan 2013, 3:12pm

If he thinks civil partnerships are sufficient and so equal, then someone should ask him if he were told he couldn’t marry, would he be happy with a civil partnership knowing that they are UK centric, carry little portability outside the UK and are not the universal standard for legal unions for straight or gay people anywhere? Why is it nobody ever poses that question to them? Not even Ireland’s CPs are a mirror image of the UK’s so that’s further evidence of their inequality. You can bet religion is at the heart of his illogical statement.

8. “If this were simply an argument about righting a wrong, with no other consequences, it would not be creating so much division”

Someone hit this fool with a history text book. Name ONE human right, one element of discrimination and bigotry that DIDN’T cause division? Not just sexuality – race, gender, disability – every step for equality is fought tooth and nail

1. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Jan 2013, 3:09pm

He should remember the church was against the right of women to vote, among other things.

9. “I have not heard any of the gay friends that I have clamour for same-sex marriage…”

Yes, because they’re probably all married like you.

1. BRILLIANT reply Doug!!!

10. Paul Clevett 10 Jan 2013, 1:28pm

Liam Fox should be treated with respect but not allowed to marry.

11. The problem is those that are opposed to it are ignorant of the facts – they have not read the government consultation or its report which outlines EXACTLY the reasons why it is being done, EXACTLY how much support there is and EXACTLY why the Church of England and Wales are banned from performing ceremonies (its to do with cannon-law being nullified by Parliament if this was not done).

12. Mumbo Jumbo 10 Jan 2013, 1:51pm

“Prejudice dressed in any other clothes is still the same.”

You said it, matey.

1. Yes, and he’s too blinded by his own bigotry to see how he’s contradicted himself with his. Pathetic.

2. *with THIS

13. Yay! Another disgraced former minister trotting out the usual right wing crap. Two words , Adam Werrity.

14. Dr. Fox says “If this were simply an argument about righting a wrong, with no other consequences, it would not be creating so much division.” but fails to explain any other consequences other than equality under the law… The seams of his speech are very telling, but what do they say?

15. another MP who as a history that is not exactly clean and sits there on judgement of others – make me sick

16. “It’s okay for me to be against equal marriage because I am dressing it up in intellectuals terms and therefore I couldn’t possibly be against equality.”

*sigh

17. so being gay is about sexual behaviour is it? um . . so that means I wasn’t gay before I had gay sex and I won’t be gay when I’m old and impotent . .

18. Well…. first of all he tries to establish his credentials “as a medical doctor ” as someone who has an opinion that should be treated with some weight – no it doesn’t. His comment has as much relevance as “Being a member of the Tufty Club”
    Secondly ; he trots out the same old crap about having gay friends who haven’t spoken to him about it – probably they wouldn’t mention it to him as they’d be too embarrassed that he’d trot out his timeworn bigotry in the company of others.
    Thirdly ; Dr Faux – are you still a practicing catholic ? and whose directives are you promoting? Those of the electorate, your government and your party ? or those of your cult?

19. Obnoxious, little man!

20. “Prejudice dressed in any other clothes is still the same.”

Pretty much summarizes his position…
    Separate but equal is inherently unequal, Liam Fox!

21. Kerry Hollowell 10 Jan 2013, 4:01pm

I am sick of these people trotting out the same old lines “my gay friends don’t care about gay marriage” etc.
    I can tell Mr Fox that all of my gay friends and all of my family and friends want same sex marriage for me and my civil partner.

22. Fox is the poster boy for the ‘nasty party’.

This just goes on bringing all the worms out of the woodwork.

23. Gobsmacking bigotry! He starts off by pretending he’s not homophobic (we’re just a variant) and then says we’re not allowed access to civil marriage. Nice.

I have no idea what he thought he’d achieve by framing his opposition in that way. It actually makes him sound more homophobic not less because he’s admitted we’re perfectly normal but still said we can’t be equal.

24. I find it difficult to believe that anyone would listen to this guy any more. About anything.

25. Yet another who is happy to take our money in taxes for his pay and pension, while at the same time taking his orders from the vatican.

26. It’s sounding more and more like the tory party are showing their true colours to me.

27. Georg Friedrich Prinz von Preussen 10 Jan 2013, 5:23pm

Attractive men … I wish have sex with him.

28. All these people are thinking little England. The countries and states where equal marriage applies have not had the consequences the anti brigade predicts.

29. Liam Fox, another Roman Catholic… enough said.

30. Fascinating, Liam. Was this all thrashed out in a jacuzzi or sauna with the latest hunky male assistant between sessions on a tax-payer funded fact-finding jaunt to Bankok?

1. I think you missed a C there Riondo, Adam Werritty is more chunky than hunky.

1. I was assuming that Mr Fox would probably have more than one person attending to his needs.

31. Fascinating, Liam. Was it all thrashed out in a jacuzzi or sauna with the latest hunky male assistant between sessions on a tax-payer funded fact-finding trip to Bankok?

32. All the above comments have said what I feel but I really want to add that, doctor or not, he’s a nasty old €unt.

33. Lets see if he likes it if his medical license changes his title to NURSE

34. I doubt any of Liam Fox’s “gay friends” would have been clamouring for civil partnerships before they were introduced. They wanted the state to recognise and protect their loving relationships. That should have been marriage but we ended up with the half-way house of civil partnerships as that’s all the majority of the public seemed to be able to permit at the time. I just thank god this guy was never my GP.

35. HOW DID THIS DOCTOR BECOME MINISTER OF DEFENCE?!?

The only person who bends minds like that is steven segal in under seige THE GOD DAMN COOK

36. These types always trot out the ‘gay friends’ line and I honestly don’t believe he has any real friends who are gay and if he does maybe they need to have a good long look at the types of bigo….ahem people they’re associating with.

37. Gosh arnt you just the grotty little homophobe, listen china your so ugly you have seriously nothing to fear from gay men…..