Mary J Blige: God says not to judge, so I don’t judge gay people

1. Absolutely! There’s lots of born-again Christians who are pro-gay and support equal marriage. The pastor of my evangelical church is currently writing a press release to that effect which will be published next week. Just because the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic church and the Anglican church are anti-gay it doesn’t follow that every Christian is!

1. paul clevett 10 Jan 2013, 8:09am

Yes thats true there are a lot of anglicans and catholics also that are pro-gay. (I’m one and I go to a church full of people who are).

2. HMMM do you get a sense of control issues…That’s christianity

3. She’s cherry-picking again.The Bible is FULL of judgment – that’s its main theme: death, judgment and damnation. Like most of the religious, she has constructed a god in her own image, but he bears no relation to YHWH, the god of the Bible!

1. YHWH? NOWH!

2. Jock S. Trap 10 Jan 2013, 11:13am

Actually Mary J. Blige has always been supportive even to the point where she said she would fire anyone in her team who was homophobic.

3. That’s a very fundamentalist approach to the Bible: understanding of God has evolved down the centuries. For example, when Jesus came along he drove a horse and cart through the idea of revenge – an eye for an eye, and said that people should forgive. So just because one bit of the Old Testament says to kill, it is very lazy and innacurate to say that this is what the God of the Bible is like!

1. barriejohn 10 Jan 2013, 2:30pm

Jesus was a fundamentalist Jewish fanatic, He’s be horrified at the words that have been put into his mouth since he died – not least in “The Gospels”!

4. Thats so kind of you dear -I don’t judge you so why would you judge anyone else?

Sorry i don’t buy into this – I think underneath all this clap trap they are bible bashers who believe that gay people are not equal etc.

pete

1. You cant presume that of all Christians. Not all of them are bigots xx

1. Darren Theoret 10 Jan 2013, 12:28pm

My Priest (Anglican) is a lesbian and married to another woman–we can do that in Canada :) I’m pretty sure she’s not a bigot!

1. bigdaddylem 15 Jan 2013, 9:30pm

No she’s a sodomite!

1. bigdaddylem 15 Jan 2013, 9:43pm

How can anyone gay be the head of a church or religion,especially the christian faith,be gay. When the bible and any other religion plainly speaks against it.Have you not read the example of sodom & Gomorra.The same thing that was done then is being done now.They have made it socialbly exceptable to be gay.Now on the other hand if my sister was gay,I’d still love her, but I would hate her lifestyle.I’m not judging her but I’m judging the lifestyle that by the book, is plainly wrong.

2. That statement is just as bigoted as the bile that comes out of the hierarchy of the catholic church every week. Your loss.

1. No its not- stop deluding yourselves. She is trying to have her cake and eat it!
        What a hypocrite!

1. Ashley Day 11 Jan 2013, 5:03pm

AMEN John!!!

5. Just goes to prove what atheists say. Morality is nothing to do with religion, it is personal and came about long before religion.

The religionists just have a problem fitting their personal morality into their chosen religion.

A lot don’t because of the social pressure of their chosen group.

6. Right on, Mary!

A REAL Christian in the true sense if the word who gets entirely that to judge others is to judge yourself,

Unconditional love, not judgement, is the fundamental concept missing from Christian teachings that our stuck in fear and self-loathing, but thank God for progressive Christian thinkers like Mary.

Oh, and her music is joyful, positive and uplifting too!

Go girl!

7. I sort of find someone telling me they don’t judge gay people to be, in itself, a bit….judgemental. I don’t get why the question of ‘judgement’ comes into it. By saying it isn’t for you to judge, surely you’re essentially saying that you do think there is something to be judged, but by someone else? it just seems one step away from ‘Yes it’s a sin, but God loves everyone’. I’d prefer it if people started responding to these questions with ‘There’s nothing wrong with being gay, other Christians need to get a life’ – rather than nearly implying that there is but not thinking it’s your place to say so.

1. They hate the sin but love the sinner – hahahahaha!!!!!

2. Shut up!!! With people like you, it’s a wonder anything has changed in attitudes towards homosexuality. I don’t see anything wrong with these people believing what they believe yet having a live and let live mentality. You can’t always have it exactly your way. Rabbi Schumely contends that homosexuality is a religious sin, but not a moral one. To me, that philosophy is good enough. And it should be for any other homo who isn’t a damn baby.

8. Jock S. Trap 10 Jan 2013, 11:08am

Gotta love Mary, she has always been supportive and non-judgemental!!

In turn I support her like many others.

9. Mary has always kept her integrity in the face of some crap she had to deal with.

Love her !

10. As A God Fearing & Loving Woman I Can Say That It Is Not Our Place To Judge ANYONE For ANYTHING…..IT IS NOT OUR PLACE TO DO SO PERIOD………We All Have Our Faults And Still Are A Work In Progress, We Are To Treat Others How We Want To Be Treated. It’s Funny How The Same Ones That Judge You For What You Do Are The Same Ones Out In The Clubs Fri & Sat Tryna “Twerk It” and Then Come At You Side Ways With That “Sunday Love”…….Miss Me With Alla That Okay (~_~) I’m Good!!!

11. LOVE mary!! Screw all you bigoted JUDGEMENTAL People who paint your own picture of what you PRESUME about the gay community without doing your research!! Equality WILL HAPPEN! IT’S INEVITABLE! PLEASE BE PREPARED!

12. I agree on 1 point the Ms. Blige makes about not judging others unless you be judge as well. But I do not agree with her decision in supporting same sex relationships, dating, or marriages for the Bible even states that it is wrong for same sex relations, I do not or ever will support same sex marriages, I am not racists in any way. I just follow what I read in GOD’S WORD the Bible and it states that it is a sin to have same sex relations period! It states in the Bible that if doing so you are bound for damation unless you accept Jesus as your Savior, and repent of your sins, and stop the same sex relations that you are in. I am in no way comdemning anyone, I am just saying what the Bible says, If you wish to support same sex marriages that is not a Born-again Christians way, to support something that GOD says is wrong.

1. Dave North 12 Jan 2013, 9:46am

I presume you still stone unruly children then.

It states that quite clearly in your bible.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21

“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death.”

Cherry picking again. Tut Tut.

1. bigdaddylem 15 Jan 2013, 10:32pm

I wouldn’t stone them because MANS law doesn’t allow it.They would jail ur ass.But in some other countries they propably would.I’m not a christian or religous period,I choose to be spiritual,but I do know what the book says about that sin.I know in my heart that its not the right path.I look at animals and see that they don’t take the same sex as partners.Mans law and Gods laws sometime confict.Some people can’t distingish the two.If u are of the christian faith u have an obligation to strive to be the way the book says to be.I’m not judging them even though I have to make judgments about people every day.I’m judging the lifestyle not the person.Some people have a problem distingishing the two.

2. Now u talking Alan…….We ALL should strive for righteousness and a working progress. Yes it is wrong for the same sex marriages, to fornicate, to lie, to cheat, unclean conversations, idols and the BiBLE goes on and on. If we do not CHANGE to live only GOD WAY not our way then we are headed for DESTRUCTION PERIOD!…GOD IS HOLY NOT A WAVERING GOD BUT HOLY and we need to strive to be more like HIM. HE loves us all BUT it is your choice to choose HIS WAY or the HIGHWAY….BE BOLD AND STAND FIRM…. either u are for GOD AND ALL HIS WAYS of LIVING or U R NOT! PERIOD…….HE CAME TO SAVE THE WORLD NOT TO DESTROY BUT THE KEY IS TO MAKE A CHOICE… HIS WAY OR YOUR WAY.

13. Fantastic!! No More Drama!

1. Oh Alan…. Get with the times! Accept the ‘now’ Everybody has the right to be happy, and if a partner of the same sex makes them happy, then so-be-it. I am happily married, to the opposite sex, but will never ever judge a single soul on this earth! God may have said that it is wrong… but, that’s one thing that he is incorrect on! He just said that to see how many people would be fooled into believing everything they read! :)

14. Yes I believe God loves all people,no matter what lifestyle we live,but its the people he loves not our behaviour,if we are going to acknowledge who we are God doesn`t want us to stay into the behaviour but clean it up.I have a few gay friends,they are nice people,I`m not their judge but their friend,but I be lieing to them if I didn`t tell them the truth about what God says in the Word and that goes for all of us not only gay people,sin is sin.God loves the sinner but not the sin.We can`t change ourselves,its only when we have a personal relationship with God that real change takes place internally.God says to us to come just like we are,if God wants something to be changed in our life,He`ll do the changing.Blessing

15. mary moore 12 Jan 2013, 8:16pm

God is not going to change anything in our lives unless we ask Him. He gave us free will. He says that He will turn us over to a reprobate mind. We do not have to tell people about their sins they already know. We just need to show them the love of God and let them make their own decisions. That does not mean we walk around and act like we condone what they are doing. Either the word of God is going to draw a person or drive them away. If God had wanted two men or two women together that is what He would have created. Even before sin entered into the world through Adam’s disobedience satan has been trying to build his own kingdom. God created marriage between a man and a woman, satan implemented same sex marriage, God created marriage, satan implemented shacking. God creates, satan duplicates. The Bible which is the word of God says let every kind produce after it’s own kind male and female. two men nor can two women produce another human. Nothing is new under the sun.

1. mary moore 12 Jan 2013, 8:44pm

Too many people are going to hell because we want to pacify and pat them on the back and baby them. The Bible says with some save with love and compassion and others with fear pulling them out of the fire. We as Christians are going to have to stand up for what God says, not what we think, feel or believe. And why do we beat the sinner down anyway, they are doing what they are supposed to do sin. The worst thing to me about homosexuality is the fact that they are telling, the Lord of Lord, the King of King, creator of the Universe that He made a mistake when he created them. God does not make mistakes. Homosexuality is a choice, even if one has been molested, we have free will, it is also a generational curse in some lineages. It did not just start. For anyone that think it’s okay read Romans 1:27 and II Timothy 3. You can argue with me but you can’t argue with God. This is what He says about it. You cannot accept Jesus and stay the same. It is a process but a change will come.

16. While I applaud her sentiment, I do wish people wouldn’t quote ‘god’ as if they are on speaking terms with him / her. If someone brandishing a gun says, “god wants me to kill you”, they’d be locked-up and the key thrown away. Only the brainwashed believe they know what god wants because they’ve been told this in childhood … by others who have been brainwashed. Impressionable kids listen to stars. If their role-models appear to be in touch with deities, they’ll be believed. Please stop quoting ‘god’. If he wants something doing, surely he has the power to make it happen himself …?