Dutch Priest posts photos of Catholic leavers to encourage them to stay, following Pope’s anti-gay speech

1. That There Other David 8 Jan 2013, 11:24am

Only 10,000 visits a day? The way Josef and Co. are behaving I’m amazed it’s not 10x that amount.

2. Ah nothing says “holy” like a little emotional blackmail and the inferred coercion within…

3. “This isn’t about pointing a finger, naming and shaming,” he continued, instead saying that he intended for the community to pray for the people attempting to leave the church and to “persuade them to stay.”

So he’s:
    1) Putting up people’s names and photographs
    2) Encouraging the community (including complete strangers) to approach the apostates to “persuade them to stay”.

If that isn’t naming and shaming, then what is?

I hope people will identify Fr Schilder and “persuade him” to stop asking his parishioners to harass private citizens.

1. Couldn’t agree more Atlanta,

Naming and shaming is exactly what this is about!

The catholic church excels at this particular practice and it’s staying true to form with this latest rant…

…and the English have am apt saying for such windbags:

Empty drums make the most noise!

1. Nixi Otemba Bongers 8 Jan 2013, 3:42pm

as we have in dutch, holle vaten klinken het hardst
        maar laten wij hem rustig in zn eigen scheit verzuipen

1. We trust that you Dutch will now succeed in somehow shaming this dreadful blackmailing priest!

2. Het is hoge tijd dat de kerk jullie om vergeving vraagt en niet anders om!

2. Har Davids 8 Jan 2013, 3:43pm

We have a thing called privacy in the Netherlands and Harm will be in legal trouble if he does start publishing these photographs. He’s been in most national papers, so the “deregister”-site has had a lot of free publicity and, I hope, a lot of people may have taken the trouble to get out.

3. Sounds like he wants to try and force people to stay rather then have their names and picture’s shown. This could be easily fixed by, stop having the “pope” push his “opinion”, on the people of the church. I say his opinion, because my “GOD” loves all and not just those who the pope decides is worth it

4. This is a dirty underhand way to behave. He is obviously hoping this will stem the tide as people are afraid of being ostracised. Typical of a catholic priest.

How many kiddie fiddlers had their photo put up in the entrance to his church to warn people?

5. Darren Theoret 8 Jan 2013, 12:02pm

Just a thought, if you want people to stay in your church, why not just treat everyone with dignity and offer help people can really use. I never sent any photograph when I left the Catholic church years ago—maybe it’s because I’m gay that other parishoners didn’t try to beg me to stay. Something to ponder :)

6. Kim Berlin 8 Jan 2013, 12:09pm

The ultimate in Catholic guilt. A disgusting act by a disgraceful organisation.

7. PantoHorse 8 Jan 2013, 12:09pm

This makes me feel genuinely rather sick. Coercion by the religious ‘in the name of…’ is a pretty horrendous concept with sometimes horrendous outcomes.

Ugh.

8. Jock S. Trap 8 Jan 2013, 12:09pm

Typical. So they treat those that wish to leave as criminal, posting their pics as some kind of shame game!

Disgusting. If people want to leave their chosen religion they are free to do so and their dictatorship regime shouldn’t make such a fuss.

9. Sister Mary Clarence 8 Jan 2013, 12:28pm

I really think that ‘encourage’ is really the wrong word in the headline.

When I think of ‘encourage’ I envisage my mum cheering me on as I ran round the track on school sports day …. I sense a slightly different attitude by Mr Schilder.

10. Typical double-speak from the Church – they behave in a nasty way and say they are doing it out of love.
    Except we’re not that stupid.

11. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Jan 2013, 12:46pm

i construe this as an act of harassment. I bet he never had the permission of those leaving to post their photos. A despicable thing to do in my view and a violation of one’s privacy. Evidently, in the catholic church, desperate times call for desperate measures.

12. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Jan 2013, 12:48pm

I would love to see a movement foment in the UK for those wishing to declare officially they are leaving the CoE and RC cults.

1. There is a mechanism for doing it here. I have a friend who’s followed it and done it. But, yes, I don’t think there’s a movement, or a website. There damn well needs to be though. What about Ireland? Have they got one?

13. It’s definitely a violation of privacy. Is it even legal? I don’t imagine that he will be able to change many minds. The formal deregistering process is a political statement. Most people who want to leave the church just stop going.

14. Yet another betrayal of trust from the Catholic Church. A notification sent to the church with an expectation of it being a private and personal matter is made public by the church officials in an attempt to blackmail or threaten people into continuing to support an organisation they clearly feel they want no part of. Every time I think the Catholic church has plumbed the absolute depths of despicable behaviour they prove me wrong and carve out another level down. Disgusting.

15. ...Paddyswurds 8 Jan 2013, 1:23pm

It occurs to me taht what this cults cleric is attempting to do is little different to the penalty for apostacy in Islam. It is also evident that he is using official ID papers illegally and is not permitted to publish peoples picture without express permission. I see a day in court looming for this bigoted homophobic little busybody/H1tler……

16. douglas in canada 8 Jan 2013, 2:13pm

“Labelling” is not good.
    The Nazis did it to the Jews.

His intent may be to keep people, but he should do that by respecting them, and offering them intelligence and compassion, instead of superstition and guilt/shame.

If those leaving end up being mistreated by their neighbors due to these photo postings, the priest needs to be held accountable for inciting hate crimes.

17. I have a lot of faith in the Dutch people whom I don’t consider at all gullible. Unlike the catholic church, they often took action (often at great peril to themselves) to protect vulnerable people in the 2nd world war which is in stark contrast to the catholic hypocrites whose motto sends to be: do as I say, not as I do!

The Dutch an inherent nose for spotting phonies and now that the ultimate phoney of then all is within their sights, I’ll rely on them to take the appropriate action.

18. So he publishes photos to name, shame and try to get people to bully these folks trying to leave the bigoted institution.

Ah where would be we be without Christianity to provide such moral guidance?

19. Well if the church has now resorted to the emotional blackmail of name and shame… time to turn the tables!

The church has more than it’s share of priest out there that should be photographed named and shamed for the sexual abuses they committed.

How many of these priest are they willing to release information and photo’s of so that they can be prosecuted and added to sexual offender registry’s? I’ll bet not a one!

20. RC Blackmail more like… and doing equality a favour in showing how dispicable the leaders of the RC church really are.

21. If the Catholic church wants to keep it’s followers, they should perhaps dig into the Vatican vaults and share a little of the wealth it has taxed and pillaged from the world over the last 2000 years.

22. “This isn’t about pointing a finger, naming and shaming,”

The is nothing shameful in showing courage and integrity Mr Schilder

23. If you want to keep your flock Mr Schilder consider treating them like adults rather than frightened sheep?

The days when your sort could bully and intimidate are well and truly over.

24. Goed nieuws: de CBP zoals de Rkk zelf zeggen dat dit niet mag. Er is hier slechts één woord voor: pesten.

Solidariteit met de uitreders!

25. Better to post photos of Catholic priests on a child molester watch web site.

26. The church bullying their members again. Wouldn’t expect anything else from that mob of hypocrits.