Rupert Everett: I was a slut because I was furious at Catholicism

1. He really should learn to keep his mouth shut. Every time he opens it, he just adds more proof to how incredibly stupid he is.

2. Completely screwed up. This is what religion does to you obviously.

I have to agree with what he says about weddings though. I am pro gay marriage but anti weddings.

Weddings have become a bit more about disneyland and less about a serious commitment.

3. MartinNYID 7 Jan 2013, 2:15pm

I think he should keep talking – him, Larkky Kramer, only a few willing to break througgh the great rainbow curtain and talk about real issues from a real angle. Fact: most of teh queers I know are sex addicts, running about looking to get laid, then spending Sunday mornings lathering up in self pity and pining for a long lost relationship. Not to mention that the AIDS/HIV rates are back to 1982 levels… Talk hard!

1. You have a very odd social circle. Get out a bit more.

2. I feel like I must be doing this whole gay thing wrong. My social circle tends to spend its Sunday mornings sleeping happily, then the afternoons drinking tea and playing video games. I didn’t realise we were supposed to be getting laid and piling on the angst. I’ll be sure to correct that this coming Sunday. Maybe we’ll have a post-angst orgy to feel better after the emotional drain.

3. Really were sex adicts are we?

Do you know what straight people call magaluf, yes its shagaluf. Close your eyes to to world around you so you can be a target one group of people with lies.

Check this out

4. He’s a joke. I’m a slut cause I love dick

5. Jock S. Trap 7 Jan 2013, 2:23pm

Oh Yawn!

6. “I can think of nothing worse than being brought up by two Gay dads”
    Yes, much better to be in an RC boarding school where you are taught to loathe yourself -or to be the accidental offspring of two illiterate, drunken heteros who raise you in the gutter.
    Glad the choice is so clear for you. I know what I would choose.

1. Unless you are the girl in the house with no mother, or perhaps the young bit in the house with no mother. Children have RIGHTS never mind gay rights .

1. Joseph oz 8 Jan 2013, 2:20am

In English please…!
        Your post really doesn’t make much sense…

2. Can you define children’s rights for us, Bobbi? Lets hear your list of priorities. Watch a couple of episodes of Jeremy Kyle and then tell me that all mothers are fit for the job.

3. Ben Foster 11 Jan 2013, 5:08pm

Bobbi, if you are talking about teenage girls having to act as chief carers to younger siblings in homes where the family has broken down, then you are quite right. Something does need to be done for such youngsters.

But if you are suggesting that same sex families might be unsafe places for children because they would be sexually abused, that is a total falacy.

2. It doesn’t have to be one or the other. Ideally, you’d be brought up by two loving parents, one male, one female.

1. I still think it odd that you chose a man who had strange attractions for his horse as a nickname.

7. me thinks he is still a very angry person, every time he opens his mouth he spouts vile and malicious nonsense. All those drugs have addled is brain. Just goes to prove a pretty face doesn’t always come with brains.

1. Cardinal Fang 7 Jan 2013, 2:55pm

You need an eye test.

8. Why do we keep hearing from this arsehole , or is it just when he manages to pull his head out of his ass that we hear from him

9. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Jan 2013, 2:29pm

The Times must be rather desperate to even consider Everett. What could he possibly have of interest to readers other than give homophobes yet another stereotype, as if all gay people are like him. I suspect his religion really did a hatchet job on his brain, damaged goods for sure. I wish he would just shut up and go away, nobody gives a damn. He’s just a bitter, self-serving has-been whose acting career never amounted to anything because of his big mouth which cost him roles, right or wrong.

1. Cardinal Fang 7 Jan 2013, 2:57pm

I’m guessing you don’t like him. Just a wild guess.

I’m pretty fed up with his weird rants too.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Jan 2013, 4:48pm

Yes indeed, I don’t like him. He’s one of the most negative people out there and an extremely bad example to set. He needs long-term therapy to get over the anger issues and conflicts in his pathetic life. He needs to grow up and start taking some personal responsibility for his actions instead of playing the blame game.

1. Joseph oz 8 Jan 2013, 2:22am

Well said… in both posts…

10. Wingnuts come in all shapes and sizes – and now we have additional confirmation that sexual orientation simply doesn’t make a difference.

11. That There Other David 7 Jan 2013, 2:30pm

Rather messed up isn’t he? I mean, how can you actually loathe the concept of someone else’s wedding? That’s just not the behaviour of a compassionate and stable personality IMO.

Lots of issues. Sad.

1. Oh, I don’t know, I loathed my brother’s wedding because of all the odious relatives getting drunk and revisiting old fights at the reception!

12. Brett Gibson 7 Jan 2013, 2:44pm

Humans enjoy sex. Why should you be labelled a sl*t if you enjoy it a LOT. Thinking he’s a sl*t is clearly the catholic in him talking. We need to shake off these old ridiculous victorian era stereotypes and think towards a less judgmental future. Every time he opens his mouth I’m forced to do a facepalm.

1. I quite agree, slut is a particularly ugly word that betrays the fairly ugly thinking behind it.

2. Enjoying sex is not the same thing as being a slut, I don’t know why some people can’t grasp this. And I notice these same people really have a chip on their shoulder about “Victorian morality”, as if it was ever really any different before then, or as if anyone who’s not as obsessed with sex as they are is some kind of prude. The reality is, sluts have been shamed in all civilised societies since time began. It’s not something the Victorians invented.

13. On Sunday Andrew Marr told him he looked like Oscar Wilde. Don’t think he was best pleased after spending all that money on facial surgery and Botox.

1. Poor old Andrew wasn’t feeling so well, though.

14. In the Times, Rupert? No opportunity for you to exhibit your self loathing in the Daily Heil? Or perhaps you feel that the high brow readers of the Times are more the target audience for whatever mediocre board treading exercise in which you’re currently involved? He really is a sad character to seems to want to appear interesting and always, always comes across as the opposite.

1. I haven’t read it yet but was a feature in the Culture section, presumably because of the unexpected (and from all accounts justifiable) success of The Judas Kiss, which has just transferred to the West End from the Hampstead Theatre.

15. The catholic church has a pathological preoccupation with sex, and a distorted view of sex. Even to this day.

16. Christopher in Canada 7 Jan 2013, 3:34pm

And I was a slut because I was single and and horny. Who cares? Now ask how many actual satisfactory sexual contacts anyone has had, and the number will drop considerably!

On another note, I can comment on Rupert’s frustration. To be a gay actor, you have to first be seen as a str8 man in order to be taken seriously for most roles by any casting director, even if the role is a gay character. Our voices are being stamped out in all but the fringe theatre groups, all for the sake of marketing. To play str8 at all times for the sake of getting a job is most schizophrenic, and in the age of equal rights, most frustrating.

17. Has this loser EVER taken personal responsibility for ANYTHING? He finds a way to blame someone or something for every problem in his, evidently miserable, life.

1. Notwithstanding, even a broken clock is right twice a day! It’s not the message but rather the messenger that I take issue with. He has a very long history of whining and blaming for every failure or setback in his life.

18. Rupert and his foot and mouth disease again. At least the moo-cows are quieter when they have it.

1. Come on he is an actor, having spent most of my working life with such people most of them start every sentence with ‘I’. . . I this I that. Utterly self absorbed, the only time they make any real sense is when they are speaking lines someone else has written. Age and the loss of looks tend to send them barking mad, the Catholic Church wrecks everyone it has touched. . . nothing new there.

19. Anastasia Beaverhausen 7 Jan 2013, 4:20pm

OFFS – when will this prissy little queen just go away and leave us all alone. We don’t need to suffer anymore.

He is fast becoming as irritating as the Catholic Church!

20. Oh gods, is SHE trying to be relevant again? Is there some grade C project she’s got coming out again?

21. Algernon123 7 Jan 2013, 4:23pm

Prominent people from other minority groups famous for other things don’t become spokespeople for those minority groups; it’s a pity that Rupert allows himself, or decides, to be presented as a spokesperson for the LGBT community. He clearly has issues with his past, not least the Catholicism he encountered at Ampleforth, and I’ve no problem with him sharing his experiences and anxieties. I do find it less acceptable when he starts to pass share his opinions on the LGBT community and this judgement is the passed off as well-informed and representative of commonly held opinions in the LGBT community.

He may dislike “marriage” and not wish to be a “gay dad”. He’s perfectly entitled to these opinions. However, he has said his career has been blighted to some degree by coming out. I would hope he would therefore think more carefully about sharing opinions in the Press which could be used to limit the opportunities of others in the LGBT community with different hopes than him.

1. I was at college with a novice monk from Ampleforth. He was straight, and had been persuaded to become a monk, I sensed somewhat reluctantly. Why he chose a college which for historical reasons (it was formerly an all-female establishment) was overwhelmingly female in its intake is beyond me, but suffice to say, by the time he left, he was no longer a monk!
      He swore, smoked, and had issues about sex, clearly damaged emotionally. He could not cope with the fact that girls confided in him about intimate subjects, and trusted him, because he was “untouchable” sexually. Like putting a man on a strict diet in charge of a Gregg’s!

22. Like Everett cares about anything you lot, or I say!

23. Mike Homfray 7 Jan 2013, 5:29pm

He isn’t the brightest spark, is he? He tends to be a lot like some other public school poshos I have met in that he is arrogant and always sure he is right. Sure, not being religious, I wouldn’t marry in church – but others want to. Why shouldn’t they? And most weddings are secular affairs in any case

24. Suddenly Last Bummer 7 Jan 2013, 5:52pm

Can’t a person just enjoy sex? Why does Rupert like an idiot feel the need to justify sleeping about with some cod Poundstretcher Freudian analysis. He really should just stfu and realise he is no longer relevant to anyone and his own attempts at self diagnosis are basically an exercise in self indulgence.

25. The picture looks like he’s holding his hand to his face saying “oh no, what have I said now?”

26. I presume he is in need of publicity – poor lad

27. Barrybear1980 7 Jan 2013, 7:01pm

Yet again he opens his mounts and tripe comes out.
    I used to quite like him years ago, not since I read his book though, he is a waster and a poor excuse for a gay man

28. Pete Cable 7 Jan 2013, 7:09pm

Bitter queen … “get off the cross, someone else needs the wood.” Not one of us has escaped being a victim at some point … Rupert should shut up (and possible put away the bottle) and take responsibility for his own poor choices. “The Next Best Thing” -Seriously???

29. Thanks for clearing up that mystery, Rupert…..Now how about explaining the ‘dumb’ bit?…

30. Bill Cameron 7 Jan 2013, 9:16pm

He was a ‘slut’ because he was a ‘slut’ – trying to divert responsibility onto a Church, even one as disfunctional as the Roman Catholic cult is beyond moronic. I agree with other commenters here – he is an incredibly stupid man. Personally I have always found him to be very unpleasant, too, and I always avoid watching anything he appears in. Whatever his personal demons are I really don’t want to know about them.

31. David Cameron and Rory Brennan were also on the Andrew Marr show with Everett. I didn’t even notice what this idiot had to say , I was listening to them. Why would I want to know what Everett had to say, it’s usually a load of nonsense.

32. He sounds bitter. If he hates weddings so much why has he appeared in so many wedding films? Is he no longer offered parts as the gay best friend of the bridesmaid?

33. What utter bollocks.

That is all.

34. What a very damaged individual. He really can’t tell right from wrong. He is a great advert for what hurt religion can inflict.

35. What a load of balls, Rupert was / is a slut because he is a slut. No point blaming others for our own actions.

36. Sounds like he has a lot of self-hate issues. He should get some therapy.

37. Tom Cotner 9 Jan 2013, 7:51pm

Well, I regret that he was never a slut with me! I have always admired the man – from afar – and would have gone with him in a New York minute had the moment arrived.
    I admire his work, and especially his incredibly handsome looks —
    That having been said, I’ve never met him, and have no idea what he is like in person – but I, for one, at least, would give most anything to find out.
    Rupert, if you ever get the idea to come to Oklahoma, I’m here waiting for you!!!!

1. I agree, Tom, he can do and say anything he wants and be respected for it.
      I don’t agree with what he says, but so what?
      He can only come to see you in OK after he shags me in Minnesota. And OMG, I wish I looked like him.

38. Gary Guerette 10 Jan 2013, 2:57pm

It’s to bad Mrr Everett feels that way about gay parents because kids don’t care what gender you are they jsut need to know that they are safe and loved. As for the church when forced into the dark, the dark side of our nature is let out to grow. when we are accepted and live in the light we can draw from a more positive community and live a positive live style.

39. He has what has been coined as “velvet rage.” Let us show some compassion.