Gaydar announces closure of flagship Soho bar

1. There appears to be some serious financial mismanagement at QSoft.

Why on earth would you let a bar run up a debt of over £2m?

1. hmm… this doesn’t sound in the least bit fishy to you? Honestly it sounds like one part of the business/ownership has been suckering the others for a nice big payoff if you ask me.

… but then again what do I know?…

2. The involvement isn’t entirely gone.

Gaydio has severed its partnership with Fitlads as a condition of having Gaydar radio licenses. This was apparently stipulates by Gaydar.

So much for impartial and community lead.

3. Pavlos Prince of Greece 7 Jan 2013, 2:48pm

Who next? Maybe the biggest gay bar of all times? (I mean Vatican of course). Well, its possible to see it in positive light too.

4. Samuel B. 7 Jan 2013, 3:03pm

This can only be good news.

Gaydar has served only to cheapen and coasen gay culture, commodifying and co-opting what was once referred to as a gay “community” into a tacky, chintzy brand.

With the similar disintegration of the Vauxhall club scene, this is a time for truly creative individuals to seize the baton and redefine our culture as the truly diverse, pioneering and exciting experience it once was pre-Gaydar and, erm, “All Things Orange”.

Monopolies only lead to bland homogenisation and soulless conformity:- time to end the creative repression and express our unique attributes and individual personalities!!

5. Good I do hope more bars will close down. I was at Birmingham last weekend and none of the late bars have a door cover charge, that means you can go on a bar crawl. It very different here at London including Vauxhall, they all charge on the door. That is why I no longer go out on the scene here at London.

1. Profile didn’t cover any charge to enter. It was Lo Profile, which was not a bar, but a club.

6. The London gay scene is nothing but a cash cow for a handful of vultures who have a stronghold on all the bars and clubs. The “scene” has indeed become bland and rather uninteresting. The difference between all bars and all clubs is purely cosmetic : same crowds,same DJs, same tunes, and savvy marketing campaigns served by a servile “gay press” only after our pink pounds. Not surprisingly, in the view of more and more visitors to London, our scene is becoming less and less attractive.
    But in many ways we all have to blame ourselves for it, for it us us who let it go this way.

7. it does not take long for the mighty to fall…does not matter how big you are…will gaydar itself be next…it offers nothing to ordinary gay guys….certainly not worth full membership fees…

1. Don’t like it? Don’t use it!
      I met a few great guys via Gaydar and hope it won’t close.

1. Spanner1960 8 Jan 2013, 12:07am

I don’t like it, and I don’t use it.
        It’s a meat market. Always was, always will be.

1. GingerlyColors 8 Jan 2013, 6:57am

I understand that many gays including myself consider ourselves ‘non scene’. Everybody has their tastes and what you may consider a ‘meat market’ may be the dog’s wotsitts to other gays. I prefer rural pubs myself and would often travel miles to visit a good pub. As a Gloucestershire man, you may be interested in a fantastic pub I discovered last year. It is near the village of Coates, a few miles west of Cirencestor. To me that is the dog’s wotsitts and worth the long trip from my home in Lancashire, especially as I can camp overnight there.

2. And?
          Meat markets have legitimate place in our society.

8. The Halcyon 7 Jan 2013, 5:04pm

It’s a shame to see another venue close, particularly as Westminster City Council have their butcher knives out for all new venues in the West End. But then again, Profile was marketed to a very narrow segment of the community and there were many things wrong with the venue. If it had tried to broaden its appeal, it could have stood much longer than six years.

9. Just can’t believe that Low Profile Bar is closing down. Whatever one says about the nature of the bar and whether it pleases all the gay community, it’s another gay bar in central London closing down, one less place for me to go out and unlikely to be replaced by another one… London is going down the drain compared to 10 years ago with less and less place to socialize “physically” or have fun with friends.… sad news for me.

10. Keith Francis Farrell 7 Jan 2013, 6:23pm

Henry Badenhorst, QSoft’s sole director and shareholder, was paid royalties of £532,920 in 2011, down from £571,370 the previous year.
    I wonder how much he took the other years, is he solely resposible for the debt

11. good riddance, the food at Profile was ok but it took ages to be served and the staff members couldn’t care less

12. therewillbeaplace 7 Jan 2013, 7:21pm

Profile/Lo-Profile may not have appealed to everybody, but Soho has lost a good quality well fitted out venue that did provide the commercial house crowd an alternative to Vauxhall. Lo-Profile certainly drew people away from Vauxhall in to Soho on Friday nights.

Thoughts are with the staff who have suddenly found themselves out of work, which I wouldn’t wish on anybody.

13. GingerlyColors 8 Jan 2013, 7:01am

There will always be a market for gay bars, as there will always be pubs that cater for different tastes whether it is bikers, live music, sport and other social groups. As gay people become more mainstream and society becomes more accepting of gays there will be less of a need for gay people to have to segregate themselves from the rest of society when socialising.

14. Lo profile was the only club worth going to in Soho….. It is shame it’s closing!

1. The debt is probably the future rent that would have to be paid until the end of the lease.

Commercial property rents are going up in central London so many landlords are ‘refurbishing’ as a lever to get tenants to give up leases so then can get a new tenant paying a higher rent.

15. I lost all interest in Gayday some years ago. I was a paying member.

The Gaydar money grabbing department decided to remove all mention of me being an amature DJ from my profile because they deemed it was “Commercial” even though I made no mention of payment.

I complained but just got the brush off.

I hope they do go down the pan!