US: First openly gay Anglican bishop, Gene Robinson, retires after 10 years

1. Do you know any gays that are celibate?

1. Your point is?

2. Congratulations of your retirement, Gene. You have shown immense bravery and commitment. Glad you will be working with a more worthwhile organisation now.

3. Bishop Robinson is married and I assure you they are not celibate. The Episcopal Church in the US is a mile ahead of the Church of England when it comes to GLBT issues. I have a lesbian priest in my parish who is married. She and her partner of fine people….her sexuality is not an issue.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Jan 2013, 1:19pm

Indeed it is far ahead of the CoE since it also allows its priests to marry a gay couple.

4. The CofE are breaking new ground again. Accepting gay bishops 10 years after the fact.

It used to be about a hundred years before they caught up with events.

At this rate they may be a leading force by 3000 if there are any members left?

1. Cardinal Fang 7 Jan 2013, 12:36pm

There have always been gay priests, bishops and popes. What is different is being open about it.

5. PeterinSydney 6 Jan 2013, 10:21am

Gene has been a very brave and honourable man. What a contrast he is to all Catholic Bishops.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Jan 2013, 1:20pm

Not only a contrast to all Catholic bishops but also Anglicans.

6. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Jan 2013, 1:18pm

Congratualitions, Gene Robinson, well done sir.

I urge all gay and non-gay Anglican clergy to form their own branch of the Episcopal church, really put meaning into the word ‘schism’.

7. Mark and Mark 6 Jan 2013, 5:33pm

Thanks for your work, Bishop. The world is a better place for it.

8. Yes he did a brilliant job. I was disappointed to see the article doesn’t mention his recent book release though: God Believes in Love – Straight Talk about Gay Marriage. I have linked my review of this book, a brilliant, thoughtful and insightful book below.

9. Cardinal Fang 7 Jan 2013, 12:30pm

It’s very sad that this Bishop had to wear a bullet proof vest for protection.

Have you noticed that some so-called “religious conservatives” – we used to call them fundamentalists – so often use or threaten violence against those they consider liberals, at least in America – from death threats against this guy, to bombing and killing clinicians providing abortions. I’m sure most, of course, do not. But it doesn’t seem very Christ-like to me.