US: Anti-gay evangelist Scott Lively to stand trial for ‘crimes against humanity’

1. And you call this a human being – one piece of scum. I hope the court finds him guilty.

Why does someone like this have so much hate, and lair to others about gay people and their actions?

1. simple – he’s a self loathing closet case

1. A horrible thought, but I fear you’re right – no-one could be that obsessed about homosexuality without there being some such underlying cause.

1. This is EXACTLY the case …. well said!

2. Quite! And I would go further and say that he’s rather hot… well he is to us bears anyway!

2. Interesting. Without further research, can’t really say with regards to specific bill. But I’m pretty sure that you cannot “take the fifth” and refuse to answer in a civil litigation (and this seems civil). And if deposed, got to wonder what kind of personal stuff about Mr Lively might see the light of day.

Assumes it won’t simply be dismissed on technicality or end up not getting anywhere – which isn’t impossible. And he might well claim first amendment rights, so this may hinge on the fighting words doctrine. Since free speech does not permit incitement.

But we can probably say this – if foreign nationals were travelling to the US to whip up hatred and deliberately and consciously cause the lives/wellbeing/safety of a subset of Americans to be imperilled, I suspect it would be denounced as a terrorist act.

Still, anything to cause Mr Lively one moment of distress works for me. I hope the odious scrote is squirming.

3. GulliverUK 4 Jan 2013, 9:27am

This is good news – I was wondering if there action against him had been thrown out or was proceeding – it was some time ago that they submitted the case against him. He is guilty, no doubt there, but will a jury or court find so. It might also let the Ugandan government slightly off-the-hook if he is found guilty because they can row back saving face and say the bill was all his idea and he hoodwinked them with lies.

4. I had no idea about this. Quite a refreshing change from hearing about attempts to extradite foreign kids for trial in the US for illegal downloading. I wonder if it will be reported by in the broadsheets – it will probably promote a lively debate amongst readers of the Telegraph and Guardian. And I suppose a mischievous comparison between Scott Lively and the Pope & Archbishop Nichols is just begging to be made…

1. GulliverUK 4 Jan 2013, 11:25am

Freedom to say what you want ends when it start causing serious harm to others – although I would expect some people will even attempt to argue against this. Given the number of young people who have committed suicide because of bullying and the homophobic hate from many churches in the US, I think the case has potential to spark an enormous debate – which could go either way.

2. Keith Francis Farrell 4 Jan 2013, 12:51pm

Mark, I would hope that this does start the church being held accountable for all the hate they are preaching, even here in the UK, I wish that the church is held accountable, hate speach is not tolarated, If I went and said something in public about a muslim here, I would becharged, but O Brian and other church bishops are preaching hate all the time and telling lie, no one has opened a case. I think someone needs to do that and we need to back that person or group

5. He’s a particularly vindictive creature but no worse than various religious leaders preaching the same bile. If found guilty of attempted genocide, what will the punishment be, I wonder. A slapped wrist?

6. It certainly doesn’t shire a very nice light on religion. Poor Scott will now see what it is like to be persecuted. Having followed this sub human and his antics for awhile I feel comfortable judging him now and say he is guilty. This might make some of his fellow holler than thou cronies like Peter LaBarbera and Matt Barber see the light. But I am not holding my breath for that.

7. Marc Webster 4 Jan 2013, 11:47am

Homosexuals are the true inventors of Nazism eh? Doesnt this stupid man know his history? Homosexuals were just as persecuted as the Jews so why would we do that to ourselves?….deserves all he gets with so much hate and lies inside him

1. The level of stupidity that leads to his kind of revisionism really does beggar belief.

2. Now that this guy is going to court, everything he has said and put into print can not only be questioned, but he will be required by law to answer, and it will all be on public record for all to see.

I do hope his excuse of a book ‘The Pink Swastika’ is given a thorough deconstruction in the courtroom, make him sweat.

8. Robert (Kettering) 4 Jan 2013, 11:58am

So this evil bigot says: “homosexuals [are] the true inventors of Nazism and the guiding force behind many Nazi atrocities” [!!] Quite unbelievable!

The LGBT were VICTIMS of N@zi atrocities not the “guidong force”.

This is a purely wicked interpretation of history and thus I hope this homophobe pays a heavy price in court.

9. About time too.
    But I can see his defence argument will more than likely hinge on the first amendment and attempt to sweep John Stuart Mill’s “Harm principle” under the rug.
    His PInk Swastika book gets a lot of mileage out of the fact that Ernst Rohm was gay and was Hitler’s Lieutenant at one point, conveniently ignoring that Ernst Rohm was bumped off on Hitler’s express orders during the night of the long knives and that openly gay people were send in their thousands to concentration camps under the Nazi regime.
    To say that Scott Lively had no idea how his pernicious ideas would be received and acted on in Uganda is disingenuous to say the least.

10. Execute the Bigot

1. Well at least then he will find out if he is correct in thinking liars will burn in hell.

11. I’ll be very interested to see what happens with this case. Has the US government ever made a comment on the evangelicals spreading hate abroad? Pity they can’t take away their passports.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Jan 2013, 1:33pm

I’ve not read anything, Iris. To do so would invite a backlash from right wing religious republicans and other fundamentalists. That’s why our own MPs are loathe to condemn the hateful rhetoric coming from the right wing Tories and other bigoted religious nutters up and down the UK. I don’t buy into the treating them with respect nonsense, agreeing to disagree as some MPs are inclined to to. Sometimes political correctness needs to take a back seat for a change and they should be treated to the same contempt and derision they richly deserve. They get away with so much on a daily basis and we stand by, nobody coming to our defence, ever. The last few weeks have seen on ongoing incessant tirade against equal marriage without anyone really countering it. Nothing positive lately. I wonder why?

1. Hmmm. I wish the US government would invest a bit in countering their hate then if they’re unwilling to remove their passports. Surely the US isn’t at all proud of such hate-spreading and propaganda?

I find it insulting to Uganda too. I imagine the fundies picked it out because they thought people there were too ignorant (as in uninformed not stupid) to realise that they were being lied to and used.

12. Keith Francis Farrell 4 Jan 2013, 12:44pm

It is about time something like this was done, I wish they would do the same to members of the Cathlic curch that are also guilty of fanningthese kill the gay bills. I think it is time we as gay people took action against any group or church that incites gay hate and murder

13. What’s the worst sentence he can get?

1. Bearing in mind that this is only a civil action and not a criminal one, the censure would be in the form of monetary damages. I’ve no idea what, if any, limit there would be to those damages.

I suspect that this an action more about setting a precedent – to stop evangelicals sticking their filthy fingers into the lives of LGBT people around the world.

Plus, anything that causes Lively expense or inconvenience is also good, or taps financial reserves into a drawn out legal battle. Although I imagine the vile little puke will blow his dogwhistle and seek plenty of donations from the deep core of christian-based bigotry in the US.

2. Send him to Uganda. lose all his citizenship records “by accident”. And mysteriously find compelling proof of homosexual activity.

14. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Jan 2013, 1:26pm

He’s not the only one complicit in this. The Pope is another given his hateful Christmas message, the same Pope who condemned condom distribution in Africa to prevent the spread of HIV, endorsing genocide. That sort of thing enables the likes of Lively and his ilk and to some extent, plays a role in the anti equal marriage debate given the hateful rhetoric from Archbishops Nichols, Bishops Davies and Longley and or course, Cardinal O’Brien. There is a direct link between what the Pope says and the rest of them. Not to mention that the CoE is also an accomplice.

15. Hmmm. I wonder what REALLY drives this nut job’s obsession with gay matters? Religious belief … or …. his own issues on sexuality? Increasingly, the public are realising that the more homophobic someone is, the more likely it is that they are gay and in denial. They usually use ‘biblical belief’ to justify their self-loathing.

16. johnny33308 5 Jan 2013, 12:40am

It is about damn time this vile and evil creature paid for his “Crimes Against Humanity”! He is PERSONALLY responsible for the torture and murder of thousands of innocent LGBT people all over the world, for his lies causing others to act inappropriately toward Our People…..now they should got after then Senator but now Governor Imhofe, another of the writers of the “Kill the Gays” bill, and there were also several other sitting members of the American Congress that assisted this animal in crafting this Nazi-like legislation for the bigots in Uganda…get them all!

17. I really wouldn’t worry about a jury finding in favor of this animal. The trial is being held in Massachusetts, one of the first states to legalize gay marriage. He has less than a snowball’s chance in hell (appropriate) of the jury finding in his favor.

18. April star Davis 5 Jan 2013, 8:28pm

Don’t stop the pressure on these evil bigots … It’s insane LGBT are the last thing in Uganda that is a threat … I’ve been there and can tell you it’s straight men cheating getting HIV that are a sexual threat or the ones raping women and children on their long walk for clean water

19. So how long can president Obama and the American people allow such hateful people and organisations likev Westboro Baptist church to go unreigned – there is a place for freedom of speech – but also with that there is a responsibility for respect towards others

20. Spanner1960 6 Jan 2013, 1:53am

The first thing the US should do is impound monies and freeze the banks accounts of these organisations until they can prove they are not financing third world countries to incite hatred and violence toward minorities.

The best way to shut any outfit like that is to kick ‘em where it hurts – right in the wallet.

1. Seems right to me, Spanner, especially given that this is the policy the US enacts against Muslim groups that are perceived to incite hatred. If we can demonstrate hate speech and hateful actions, that seems a far sight more compelling than mere perception of such.

21. So when can we start legal action against “The Family”, that group of federal legislators who once lived together in a house on “C” Street in D.C. They have supported Scott Lively and David Bahati. This group includes Oklahoma Senators James Inhofe and Tom Coburn and extends to Rick Warren and the other tax exempt mega churches promoting persecution, torture, arrest and murder of gay people in Uganda. TIME TO STAND UP!

22. In relation to the WWII comments:
    The church had dealings and protection organized by Adolf Hitler himself.
    Church hates gays and suddenly The Nazi Movement hates gays. Look back on history and you’ll see the Nazis had nothing against gays for the longest tme.