Catholic gay rights campaigner criticises Archbishop Nichols over ban on gay masses

1. Why any gay person wants to remain part of this hideous organisation is beyond me!

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Jan 2013, 11:07am

Because sadly change only comes with acceptance. Whilst I do agree with you and the word ‘acceptance’ may be a long shot for those extremist, change can only come from those who know us and see us. Not from assumptions and poisonous bigotry.

Let’s face it most decent people know that the wordings of religious texts are the work of over inflated male egos, nothing more. Of course, they believe otherwise because it suits them to blame ‘God’ than realise it is them, themselves that is at fault.

Only when people can see the true face of humanity can they claim they actually know what it’s like to love another regardless of gender.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Jan 2013, 12:38pm

Because they think they can change their church from within, just like those other delusional gay republicans in America who believe they can do the same with their party which is overwhelmingly anti equality.

Where is Ben Summerskill lately? Of all people, I would have thought he’d have something to say about the haterful tirade from Nichols and others over the Christmas period.

3. Desmond Persaud 4 Jan 2013, 4:42pm

I think this article is in need of correction. The masses have been moved, not ended. The first of the new masses will be at Farm Street Church in Mayfair on 3rd March, 2012 at 6.15. Why not come along and reality-test your opinion?

2. I honestly don’t know what to think about this. I am disgusted that Nichols has banned the LGBT-friendly masses, obviously, but also conflicted about the idea of LGBT people remaining within a homophobic organisation. On the one hand, if all the liberals and LGBTs left the Catholic Church, it would lurch even further to the right, and the right wingers would be able to hang on to all the cash and the assets; on the other hand, it would also be much less powerful, because there would be less of the faithful giving it cash. There are other groups doing Catholic liturgy – the Liberal Catholic Church, and the Old Catholic Church (seceded from the Roman Catholic Church in 1870 over the doctrine of papal infallibility).

1. The problem with liberal churches is they don’t offer anything that can’t be found in the surrounding culture. They only cater for humanists who like to wear cross necklaces. Why go to church on Sunday if you can hear the same ‘sermons’ sitting at home watching the telly?

3. I think membership of the Roman Church and being a non-celibate gay is completely intellectually incompatible.

1. That There Other David (in Sitges) 3 Jan 2013, 12:25pm

From recent comments provided by the Vatican’s senior UK infiltrators it’s obvious being a member of the Roman Church and holding true Christian values are becoming intellectually incompatible too. I hope this seriously backfires on them and they end up losing most of their congregation as a result.

4. Jock S. Trap 3 Jan 2013, 11:12am

I’m glad Ruth Hunt has spoken out about this. Of course I doubt it’ll make the mainstream but I think Archbishop Nichols needs to learn about humanity before being let loose too spew such hatred.

5. This isn’t a battle I would spend a moment fighting. The RCC abhors the existence of LGBT people and I consider those who insist on sitting in their pews and putting money in their collection plates while priests stand up and instruct their congregations to work to deny rights to be collaborating in their own oppression.

You make your bed, you lie in it.

6. If this wicked organisation was only homophobic it might be worth sticking with in the hope of effecting change through organisation. Sadly its homophobia is only one manifestation of its fundamental cruelty. When it has power, as it has over the young and the economically disadvantaged, it causes harm either by brainwashing or through collusion with oppressors. It is just not good enough to stick with it and pick and choose what you want. By doing that you collude.

7. The answer is simple – find somewhere else to pray that doesn’t involve implicit support for a homophobic, misogynistic and paedophile protecting organisation. I have no sympathy for gay people who support churches that promote hatred of gay people and then get all surprised and hurt when – shock – the church (or one of its spokespeople) says or does something homophobic. Really? What were you expecting? As for “change from within” – don’t hold your breath. Leave. The only “change” that will motivate them is the loose change in the collection plates. Once they realise that there is an impact on revenue stream, that will force a rethink – probably quite quickly. Until then, anyone who supports the Catholic church shares responsibility for their homophobia, and the rape and torture of children at the hands of their clergy. The plaintive wailing and bleating of victimisation doesn’t wash – support the Catholic church and you are part of the problem.

8. Robert (Kettering) 3 Jan 2013, 11:59am

The RC and C of E are both spiteful, evil and hateful churches – I say churches rather tongue in cheek as they fail to live up to what’s preached in the New Testament. That is, love for all, tolerance and a champion for the downtrodden and marginalised.

They are both evil cults with much blood on their hands. Take their support for slavery, burning and hanging of Witches, heretics and anyone else “they” deemed to be sinful.

If you want to remain Christian then why not try one of the churches that openly welcome LGBT people, for example the Metropolitan Community Church; Quakers or Unitarians.

1. Because those churches are empty. About 5 people rattle around in a MCC building on any given Sunday.

The average age of an Episcopalian is about 75. All Christian denominations are declining (except “conservative” Pentecostal churches) but most of the “liberal” churches are one generation away from extinction.

9. ...Paddyswurds 3 Jan 2013, 12:02pm

I guess being gay doesn’t bestow the faculty of reason on one. Why any human being, never mind a gay person. would want to be a member of such a clearly evil cult is beyond me. This evil priest opines without the slightest hint of irony:

“The moral teaching of the church is that the proper use of our sexual faculty is within a marriage, between a man and a woman, open to the procreation and nurturing of new human life,” he argued.”
    So tell me Nichols , when did your church clerics marry all the little children they raped over the centuries….??
    Are these people really so far removed from reality that he didn’t see the contradiction when he reread his piece. It beggars belief. It is a great tragedy for the millions of abused children worldwide that this has not always been the priority of the Roman Catholic paedophile cult……
    I am so angry right now I am glad I am in Ireland, because if i came within sight of this evil old man I would definitely be attending all of this pigs se

10. If this wicked organisation was simply homophobic I could understand why someone would stick with it in the hope of effecting change through persuasion but it isn’t. Wherever and whoever it has power it abuses it, be that in respect of the young who it brainwashes; or the politically disadvantaged, against whom it colludes with their oppressors. And that is precisely what those LGBTs who sit in its pews do. They cannot pick and choose in the way that they think they can without legitimating and, indeed, funding the cruelty visited upon them by it.

1. That There Other David (in Sitges) 3 Jan 2013, 12:29pm

The Pope and The Vatican obviously see themselves as extensions of Caesar and his court. Religion is just the tool to control the Empire.

Maybe in their warped way they see us as a modern Ostrogoth hoard. It would certainly explain the tone of their propaganda.

11. ...Paddyswurds 3 Jan 2013, 12:05pm

I am so angry right now I am glad I am in Ireland, because if i was in Britain I would be attending his services and he would deffo know why!!

12. Surely teachings that promote love, peace and tolerance are more important than peddling hate, disrespect and making others live in fear. As the most advanced our species has ever been, we have the duty and, but more importantly, the capacity to solve problems like hunger and lack of education in zones affected by war

13. Mike Homfray 3 Jan 2013, 1:00pm

Just can’t understand why anyone wishes to remain part of this vile organisation

14. It seems that reports of a ban by Archbishop Nichols are inaccurate. The location of the gay Mass is being moved to Farm Street. So the official statement issued by the Soho group: “The Soho Masses LGBT Catholic community has always been keen to emphasise its being part of the pilgrim people of God. As you will know from some grossly inaccurate reporting and headlines, this worshipping community will be moving in March 2013 from the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption & St. Gregory, Warwick Street, Soho, to the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Farm Street, London W1K “

1. That is totally misleading drivel from a group which can only be afflicted by Stockholm Syndrome. The Soho masses were specifically for LGBT people – a safe space for them which (if they insist on practising catholicism) in view of the vile words being levelled at such people in mainstream catholic churches. There will be NO mass specifically for LGBT people: they have to join an ordinary regular one. Thye are apparently graciously allowed use of the church hall for a meeting.

The words “uncle Tom” spring to mind in conection with this group’s public grovelling to the heirarchy of the Church of Rome, which has done so much damage to the gay cause.

2. Yes, according to this article, the Soho Masses, aka LGBT Catholic ministry, are moving to a new home: http://queeringthechurch.com/2013/01/02/r-i-p-soho-masses-long-live-soho-masses/
      However, Nichols is still a horrible homophobe. And I still don’t understand how LGBT people can bear to be be part of any homophobic organisation.

1. They aren’t moving. They’re being cancelled. The LGBT people can go to an ordinary mass. No more safe space for them.

i agree with your last paragraph though. Why any sane gay person should remain a member of the Church of Rome is beyond me.

15. david o,brien 3 Jan 2013, 8:11pm

I am a practising R.C. who is also Gay.
    I have been in a loving physical and monogomous relationship for nearly 40 years.
    I go to Sunday Mass and sometimes in the week, if I can.
    I personally do not think I have done anything wrong when we make love.
    However, I will not go to Holy Communion, unless I go to Confession first.
    Whether I agree, or dis agree, this is the teaching of the Church, and if I want to remain in Her fold there are some basics I have to adhere to.
    I go to several local parishes.
    Iam not sorry to see these Holy Masses stop, and Iam horrified some Catholics
    can go to Holy Communion without first seeking Confession.
    After all we are receiving the sacred Body and Precious Blood of Our Lord in Holy Communion, His Real Presence
    therefore we have to be in a state of Grace. Fact.
    Pax vobiscum

1. What utter rubbish. You clearly have no firm purpose of amendment so your confessions are all without effect. Try having some basic understanding of the theology of your church.

Seriously, you can be celibate, or Catholic. You can’t be both.

It follows that I do agree with you that the Soho fools who try to reconcile Catholicism and non-celibate gayness are misguided.