US baseball star Torii Hunter: I would be ‘uncomfortable’ with having a gay teammate

1. What a prejudiced little man, who really should know better!

1. Why should he know better?

He’s a sportsman.

The stereotype of sportsmen being as thick as bottled s*** exists for a reason you know.

This imbecile simply proves the stereotype is based in reality.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Dec 2012, 2:07pm

Absolutely, the majority of them. Many are poorly educated too. It’s quite obscene that people like this are paid vast amounts of money to kick or throw a ball around, especially football players. Even a chimpanzee can do that without much training. WOuld he be comfortable having a female prostitute around him? You know, the Mary Magdelene types whom Jesus associated with? Hypocrite!

2. He “really should know better” because he is Black. His parent’s generation will remember The Color Line – when baseball teams were racially segregated. Black players suffered appalling abuse from white players and spectators. Nice to know he has learned from that.
      What an ignorant pig.

1. However, as we know from these forums alone, being gay – and therefore supposedly having an understanding of what it means to be part of an unpopular minority – doesn’t prevent a lot of people from being racist, does it? Nor does being Jewish, for that matter.

1. I find that there is little gratuitous racism here. I do not believe that the Gay community (being made up of all races) would attack any culture that wasn’t attacking them. Frustration is understandably expressed with African countries, Islam, sports organisations, Orthodox Judaism, Christian groups – and, of course, the personalities within. I see no pattern of racism.

1. What about our friend ‘Caligula’ on a parallel thread within the past 2 days?

In passing, I would suggest that racism that isn’t gratuitous is still racism – wouldn’t you agree? Also, in my opinion, there isn’t one single ‘gay community’, there are many; and racism can easily be found in many if not most of them.

2. Hi Rehan,
            Of course you are right. Gays are as capable of being racist as anyone else. However, what seems to trigger “politically incorrect” views on this site are stories about homophobia from other minorities. I think it is fair enough to say that a Black sportsman or an orthodox jew should think twice before trying to undermine our civil rights. I must admit I personally am more disappointed in examples such as these than in right-wing bishops who I expect no more from. I do not believe there is cultural racism within the many Gay communities. I do believe there is established cultural homophobia within almost all Black communities. Is this a racist statement?
            I had assumed Caligula was a straight troll. Obviously unhinged and not representative of users of this site.

3. Thanks, Cal: you may well be right about the delightful Caligula, and I regret to say you’re probably right about most black communities; but we will have to agree to disagree about racism within the gay worlds – though I would point out that I certainly don’t think it’s any more pronounced than in any society generally. If I wanted to depress myself I’d tot up the number of times the word savages is used in these threads in relation to Africans; for those who argue it’s used only when appropriate, as opposed to only non-Western-Europeans, I’d ask for a similar tally in referring thus to those Westboro lunatics, who’re every bit as (if not more) savage.

4. I have used the word savage a few times before on these pages. I believe you pulled me up on it on one occasion. I won’t deny the temptation to use it mischievously when it’s an African Bishop or politician. You are undoubtedly right that it is used more often for Blacks than Whites but it is rarely, if ever, used against western Blacks. Culture rather than skin colour tends to stimulate its use.
            Worse – and certainly racist – are the “primate” comments on another thread. I do understand the temptation but wish it had been resisted.

2. Why would it be difficult and uncomfortable for you? You think you’re all that? No thanks.

3. Another ‘God makes me hate you’ bigot.

4. Given the significant growth in atheist and religiously unaffiliated population in the US (per the Pew report released in October) its highly probable there will be several team mates who’d find it difficult and uncomfortable to share a changing room with a religious nutter.

For someone who would have himself been at the sharp end of prejudice in the sport a generation or two back, his intolerance speaks volumes about the social worth of his religion.

1. His religious belief is a mental illness.

He needs treatment for his psychological disorder.

1. “all my learning, biblically”

That is an oxymoron for a start. If ALL your learning is from the bible you haven’t learned much.

5. George Forth 31 Dec 2012, 12:03pm

Nob-head!

How does he know he doesn’t already have one…?

1. Exactly. What he is actually saying is I am comfortable in my ignorance thank you.

6. Oh well Torii, I’m sure now that you’ve come out as a homophobe, a gay person would be equally as uncomfortable with having you as a teamate. (*Btw…didn’t you used to be Tori Spelling?)

7. Coming from a minority group himself he should really know better. What if this story were about a white player feeling uncomfortable about having a black player on the team? Why all the hate?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Dec 2012, 12:38pm

Well, his bible is full of hate and contempt for others and his god, very vengeful. It even condones slavery and they all believe the bible is the word of their god. Devolved brains if you ask me, or none at all.

8. Why am I not surprised it is because he’s a fecking religious nut. He doesn’t deserve to be on a major league team.

9. For someone relying on his “teachings” to justify his world view, he is surprisingly uneducated.

10. he may not be racist but he is certainly homophobic

1. he is probably racist too, most black guys are.

11. Blimey O’Reiily Torii !! ; life must be one long struggle from the moment you open your eyes , til you rest your head on the pillow at night. Was it Lincoln that said keep your mouth shut in case the suspicion you might be stupid is proven?
    You don’t want to work with someone as you’d feel uncomfortable cause your christianity (bigotry) tells you so . What about the gay guy that serves you a meal , looks after you when you’re sick etc etc ; and god forbid sits next to you – you’d be at risk of breathing in some of his nasty homosexualistic air !! – well we’re everywhere , and theres only one thing you can do in that case , Stop Breathing!

12. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Dec 2012, 12:35pm

A bit rich coming from a black man. He forgets the history of discrimination of his own kind and that having slaves is biblical, so I assume he believes in that too. His country’s constitution at one time sanctioned it until it was removed. What a moron.

13. would you well we would be uncomfortable having to work with a backward asshole like you – Neanderthal Retard

14. I was curious about this story until I got to the words “As a Christian” which, especially in the context of professional ball games, brought on an almost overwhelming attack of boredom.

1. Actually, I should have persisted: in all my teachings and all my learning, biblically, it’s not right is priceless – beyond parody, poor fool.

2. Dave North 31 Dec 2012, 1:40pm

““As a Christian”

Generally when I see this in a sentence my mind switches off and instantly negates whatever drivel usually comes next.

You know it ain’t going to be based on logic or reason.

15. The words you were looking for were not “For me, as a Christian…” they were “For me, as a bigot…”.
    Your perceived christianity is irrelevant and is simply a crutch to disguise your own hate and prejudice.

1. Dave North 31 Dec 2012, 1:44pm

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.

Susan.B.Anthony.

1. Great quote – copied ready to paste to my Facebook page!

16. I’d be equally uncomfortable having to look at such a grotesquely ugly baldy. As for his racism, thats justified in the bloody bible as well, so at least he’s being consistent if still an evil , piece of filth.

17. This mean believes in ‘god’

I hope he gets treatment for this mental illness.

1. Staircase2 31 Dec 2012, 4:50pm

A) belief in God doesn’t equate to ‘mental illness’
      B) you’re as bloody prejudiced as he is
      C) don’t you think it’s time you (and all the other knee jerkers on Pink News) stopped using one idiot’s prejudice as an excuse to spout out your own endless stream of them…?

1. To answer your points one by one:
        A) Extreme, unreasoning adherence to the OT (which Jesus said he had come to “sweep away”) is a symptom of an unbalanced mind, IMO
        B) Defending yourself against bigotry does not make you a bigot!
        C) I am prejudiced when it comes to bigots – they infuriate me!

18. “All my teachings and all my learning”.

Did these teachings and learning take up both sides of a postage stamp, or just the one?

If you have another stamp’s worth of space for “teachings and learning”, do take another look at Matthew 22:39-40.

1. In a free country non-believers have the same rights as those who identify with a religious or philosophical belief, is it not the same in the USA?

19. If a bigot told him that they were uncomfortable having him as a team mate because of his colour, he would rightly be offended. Yet he seems think that its ok to discriminate against others.

20. Sir David (UK) 31 Dec 2012, 1:51pm

In a truly free society all citizens are equal before the law and parliament. No religious or political affiliation gives advantages or disadvantages and religious believers are citizens with the same rights and obligations as anyone else.

21. Muhammad Jackson 31 Dec 2012, 1:57pm

“Democracy demands that the religiously motivated must translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific values. Their proposals must be subject to argument and reason, and should not be accorded any undue automatic respect”.

President Barack Obama

22. andrew howard-williams 31 Dec 2012, 2:08pm

Religious Homophobes of whatever race should not be given airtime on tv radio newspaper magazines or internet.
    In his case he should not be allowed to continue in the sport he is in with his type of attitude.
    As has been said he should think before opening his mouth about others. If he was playing in the UK he would have broken homophobia laws for his comments.

1. He’s 37, so not long to go now……maybe he’s trying for a retirement job as a shock jock on a redneck, right-wing radio station!

23. That’s YOUR problem, Torii – not any gay person’s. maybe you should speak to someone about your unreasonable prejudices and fear of anyone different to you?

And don’t use Christianity as an excuse. The problem is within yourself not within an old book…

24. Paul Halsall 31 Dec 2012, 3:34pm

Does the twat object to divorced and remarried teammates?

25. Robert (Kettering) 31 Dec 2012, 3:54pm

There are people on this planet who might also feel “uncomfortable” sharing a dressing room with a black player! This is unacceptable of course and so should homophobia in the dressing room be equally taboo. What a vile, bigoted little homophobe and racist.

26. Scott Rose 31 Dec 2012, 3:55pm

Torri should take his gay-bashing, kill-the-Jews, enslave the blacks Bible, stick it down his throat and choke on it and then wash it down with Jesus Freak Kool-Aid.

27. How about : ‘I would be uncomfortable having a Christian teammate, for me, as as a gay person because in all my teachings and all my learning, it’s not right”‘ …

28. He should have known better because he is black and blacks were and still are prejudiced against.

1. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not for a moment excusing this idiot’s prejudices, but substitute ‘gay’ for ‘black’ and ask yourself to what degree that formula applies, bearing in mind the racism that’s so depressingly frequently found on these forums.

1. I haven’t perceived any racism here (perhaps I just have read the wrong pages), but I am sure there are racist gays, just as there are Tory and Republican gays.

We are all human, and individuals, surely that’s the point? no-one is defending racism here, surely?

1. I think the point is that being part of a minority evidently doesn’t guarantee a sympathy for other minorities. Therefore the fact that the idiot in question is of an ethnic minority in his country is, unfortunately, irrelevant.

29. Staircase2 31 Dec 2012, 4:44pm

Yet another non story…

What’s going on…?

30. Well instead of an ongoing witch-hunt .. we should try to help him. He said, he just would feel uncomfortable.. he’s being honest.. he hasn’t been exposed to many gays.. OK.. how can we help change this, I don’t think his comments were so bad, he’s just being honest.. he didn’t say he didn’t want them.. just saying it would be uncomfortable. We all have to start some where.

31. Paul Scott 31 Dec 2012, 5:20pm

Really sad to see someone who’s no doubt experienced discrimination himself from racists, dishing out discrimination to gay people.

As usual, religion the root cause.

Although people who say they are uncomfortable around gay people, quite often have unresolved issues with their own sexuality. The “straightest” men I know have no problems at all with being mates with gay guys.

32. Interesting when blacks forget that just a few years ago that white people were uncomfortable playing and showering with them. To use Christianity as your excuse to be prejudiced is just sad.
    It’s weird that homophobia is so prevalent in the Black Community. In our city, when adding a sexual orientation anti-discrimination policy was being voted on by the City Council, The Black Ministerial Alliance mobilized their minions to protest. It worked and gay people were left without discrimination protections. The Black Community was also largely in Favor of Prop 8 in CA which also discriminates against gays. Horrible!

1. However, things are now changing rapidly, thanks to President Obama.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People now supports Equal Marriage. That certainly wouldn’t have happened a year or two ago.

And of course in Maryland, a state south of the Mason-Dixon line, the first same sex marriages have taken place today !

The Wind of Change is blowing strongly through the North American continent, Canada having led the way a decade ago.

2. In the UK, the Equality Act 2010 lists 9 “protected statuses”, rather than the hotch-potch of different laws for women, ethnic minorities, etc. that used to exist.
      You cannot be discriminated against on the grounds of age, race, religion (or lack of belief), sexual orientation, transgender issues, marital status, pregnancy, disability or gender.
      If you had laws like this in the US, the BMA could not object without harming their own interests!

3. Have you forgotten about your own MIXED RACE president who is perhaps the most gay friendly president your country has ever seen???

Thought so…

33. Why do these straight guys think EVERY gay person is just dying to have sex with them. Seriously! This dude doesn’t appear to be any sex symbol.

34. And a gay played would feel equally offended and threatened by homophobes on the team.

35. Rudehamster 31 Dec 2012, 6:48pm

Fucking Christians

36. Christopher in Canada 31 Dec 2012, 10:42pm

It comes down to sexual advances in the locker room by someone who is his equal. Think about it.

Locker rooms are separated by gender to stop pregnancy, not sex, as any member of the YMCA can tell you.

1. And here was me thinking it was to protect the ladies’ modesty!
      Seriously, if he had said he was uncomfortable being naked with gay men, I might have understood, although it offends me that some men still think that way. After all, heterosexual men are doctors dealing with both sexes, and few women have problems with male gynaecologists.

37. I am uncomfortable around fruit loops who believe that an invisible spirit feeds them absolute and exclusive truth.

38. Hmm racist, homophobe, surely we’ll get misogyny next.