Maryland: Business turns away all wedding bookings instead of having to cater for gay couples

1. Rearrange these words to suit “nose off cutting spite to face”

2. GingerlyColors 28 Dec 2012, 11:41am

I was thing that myself, Matt. If all businesses ended up turning away all customers instead of having to discriminate over who they served, whether they are black, gay or of another religion then there will be few companies left! The customer is always right. Unfortunately too many companies see the customer as a throw-away commodity. Discover Annapolis Tours must be doing very well in spite of the current economic downturn if they can cherry-pick their customers. I hope that other people will take heed and take their hard earned dollars elsewhere but I will feel sorry for any decent employees of Discover Annapolis Tours if they end up getting thrown on the dole.

3. He will soon be complaining when the company folds!

1. Ah.

But it will be the fault of “the gays”, not his own idiocy that caused his companies demise.

1. darkmoonman 28 Dec 2012, 7:25pm

Bigots will always find a way to blame their target.

2. darkmoonman 28 Dec 2012, 7:30pm

Bigots always find a way to blame those they oppress.

2. I think it’s fantastic that this business can afford to turn away custoners, he must be doing very well…. I will also think it fantastic when his business goes tits up and he will be begging for our custom….

4. As a gay man in a civil partnership I don’t really see why this is such a bad thing! If the owners of this company can afford to looose business, from straight couples aswell as gay couples, then good for them.

If I was planning my partnership again I’d rather give my money to a company who fully accepted my sexuality than one that just pretended they were okay with me!

One of the reasons we chose our photographer was because she had a gay son and we knew that she was fine with us being gay. We could have gone with someone who completely disagreed with us but was was doing it for the money!

5. A greater share of business for more enlightened companies.

6. His business his choice.

1. Dave North 28 Dec 2012, 1:27pm

Unfortunately not that simple.

This goon is taking things further, calling for exemptions.

7. Robert White 28 Dec 2012, 1:38pm

No the _other_ option was “don’t be a douche” …

8. douglas in canada 28 Dec 2012, 1:45pm

I’m curious to know what his “other” business interests are. Surely somewhere in there, he must have gay people on his trolleys.

Does he do a screening before people get on? Does he discriminate against other faith groups?

His claim that he is a normal “layperson in the pew,” well, he’s not in the pew when he’s running the business. He’s behind the cash register, and when you’re there, no discrimination is allowed.

Pout pout pout… I can see his bottom lip hanging out already.

9. Good. I’m sure most straight couples would be happy that they weren’t inadvertently booking with a company that supports inequality aswell.

And why should he have an exemption? Would he like to go to the supermarket and be turned away because the people there had a religious exemption to Christians? What on earth is wrong with people that they feel the need to discriminate against others?

The bible could also be used to discriminate against any number of people – women, black people, the disabled – and that’d be just fine with Mr Grubbs, would it? Nice.

10. Another dimension is the “blame it on the gays if you can’t have your dream wedding here…it is not my fault” game.

Other than that, if he thinks it is worth $50k a year to him, fine.

11. Staircase2 28 Dec 2012, 3:38pm

Good!

At least they’re being brave enough to support their convictions unlike the Christian weasels in the UK who are trying to have their B&B cake and simultaneously stuff it down their face…

12. Good for them to at least be straight forward…..
    But, I hope that all people who are against bigotry will no longer give them any business…

13. I look forward with relish to reading that they have gone out of business.
    Perhaps for Black weddings everyone had to cram down the back of the trolley.

1. What’s a black wedding?

1. A wedding where the couple is Black. The context should have filled in the blank for you, Bob.

14. casparthegood 29 Dec 2012, 8:16am

More proof that these loons are “off their trolleys”?

15. It’s a good thing to weed out these types of business people. Like natural selection, only the best survive. Someone who truly wants to accommodate all people will fill the void.

16. He’s a fool. Look at the barely contained tension between the two bridesmaids in the front row. As soon as the photographer leaves they’re getting on it!