Anti-gay marriage Tory MP Tim Loughton: Marriage is a ‘gift of God’

1. “described the Church of England marriage service as “a gift of God in creation through which husband and wife may know the grace of God”.”

Ask the future head of the church of england, a certain charles windsor if he agrees with you mate.

1. My answer to him is “then f*ck off and let your God deal with me.”

2. Justice for all 28 Dec 2012, 12:44am

REligion is only about power and control and of course money. Here more info about the Roman Reichstag and how it is terribly complicit in the horrors of Croatia during WWII
      The owner of this website below is a former priest who long ago left the madhouse and became a Methodist minister.

BTW in the USA the methodists are beginning to do gay marriage ceremonies, and 1000 have asked the national body to change their book of discipline to make equality a formal church law.

3. Justice for all 28 Dec 2012, 12:48am

take a look at this website about the nutters of the catholic church in Croatia

2. Garry Cassell 27 Dec 2012, 8:12pm

This stupid twit seems to suggest that you can only know the grace of God by getting married, of course by man and woman…God forbid…anything else…darn stupid man…homophobic…YES!!!!!

1. I have to agree….how can anybody be that stupid?
      Ah….but wait…..think of the agenda! Tory MP….West Sussex…..will say anything as long as he can be assured of retaining his Constituency Seat. Is this about morals or political philosophy….NOPE…it’s about money at the end of the month!
      BULLSHIT!

3. Unfortunately, so is stupidity.

4. Bobbleobble 27 Dec 2012, 8:19pm

Perhaps he should also be calling for the outlawing of civil marriage and divorce and the immediate expulsion of Bob Blackman and Roger Gale from Parliament since they clearly have no regard for this gift.

However, like everyone else he overlooks the shortcomings of heterosexuals in terms of this gift and just focuses on gay people and it’s that Mr Loughton which makes you homphobic.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Dec 2012, 8:39pm

The thing is, they NEVER raise the shortcomings and the hypocrisy of the Nadine Dorries, Bob Blackman and Sir Roger Gale types. I don’t think God’s grace whatever that is had anything to do with that or their aberrant anti-marital behaviour. About bloody time someone took them all to task and shut them up once and for all. I’m sick and tired of the same worn out excuses in the name of bloody religion.

1. Bobbleobble 27 Dec 2012, 8:46pm

The problem is of course that they only give interviews to friendly papers like the Telegraph or the Mail or to inept local journalists because if they are actually properly questioned on the issues like David Davies was in the Guardian last week then they make complete fools of themselves and reveal their arguments to be useless.

1. Dave North 27 Dec 2012, 8:48pm

He will be on the BBC next.

An organization I now refuse to pay for after last weeks one sided nonsense.

5. I love the way that heterosexuals have always blessed themselves and their own institutions.

6. So – not homophobic. But presumably he thinks ‘homosexuals’ are an abomination

7. “In my case, certainly nothing could be further from the truth and as Minister for Children and Youth I particularly value the work I have done with LGBT young people and community groups.”

but once they become adults we must marginalize them and treat them as second class citezens. Is this what you are saying you fool of a man. Dont brag about what you do for young lbgt people , then what until they are adults to denign them equailty.

8. Pavlos Prince of Greece 27 Dec 2012, 8:31pm

Well, is every human being not ‘kid of God’, no? Oh yes, right,- we, gay people, are for Conservatives like You simple not ‘human’ enough, and deserve marriage not. Every further discussion have no sense.

9. where my comment pink news, you cowards

10. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Dec 2012, 8:35pm

So what about civil marriages, mate? What has religion to do with that? Yet another bloody Tory as usual. How would he answer an atheist wishing to marry?

Since where is it written in law that a mandate must be in place before legislation can be passed?

11. No it isn’t. It’s a civil contract.
    Bring your God into by all means for yourself but don’t impose your God on my relationship with reality.

12. wheres my comment pink news you cowards

1. Try reloading the comments page.

13. He doesn’t believe in equality for gay people… is that homophobic? I suspect so. God makes him treat queers as inferior?

14. ‘God’ is just a collection of prejudices and beliefs in each individual person. Your particular version of ‘God’, Tim, has no power over me, nor over Quakers, Liberal Jews or Unitarian Universalists, for that matter.

Just as Tim Loughton wouldn’t want to be strictly regulated by Islamic or Mormon marriage traditions, I don’t want to be regulated by the traditions of one particular denomination in one particular religion!

15. some people live in another world and sadly this twit is one of them. Its like saying Im not a racist cos i got a black friend at work

16. i think this man has a valid point, i think we should know our place and accept civil partnerships

1. Dave North 27 Dec 2012, 8:53pm

F U and the boat you sailed in on.

My place is as a valid respected member of my community paying the same taxes as anyone else on my salary is expected to..

I expect nothing else than EXACTLY the same rights they have.

PS: Just in case. My Xmas whisky has invalidated my irony button. Should that be the case.

And PS. God is a violent sociopathic killer of just about anything.

2. Bobbleobble 27 Dec 2012, 9:11pm

My place is as a full member of this society entitled to the same rights and the same respect as any of my heterosexual peers so no I won’t accept a lesser alternative because Loughton thinks that God doesn’t want me to get married. He’s not only homophobic but a hypocrite.

3. You should know your place and it ain’t here. We’ll never accept civil partnerships as our lot, so you’d better get used to it.

4. Know our place? We are not dogs!

We are human beings who require the same as anyone else.

If you like knowing your place, then I suggest you crawl back under the rock from where you came!

5. “Know your place”. Same argument used to suppress the poor, slaves, Blacks etc.
      I detect a major case of low self esteem here.

17. Am I the only one wondering what hidihi’s comment (if any) was?

1. Dave North 27 Dec 2012, 8:49pm

I red thumbed it in antici——-pation.

2. He has a comment 7 from the top. Posting may have been delayed causing him to panic.

18. So nothing changes if you alllow same sex marriages. The CofE is still going to be allowed to promote this idea and Tim Loughton is stil going to be allowed to believe this.

We are all winners in this. The Quakers, unitarians etc can do what they want , the other churches can do something else and the registry office can do another service. I don’t understand where the conflict is in bringing same sex marriage in.

The UK is big enough to accommdate all views at the same time.

1. Dave North 27 Dec 2012, 8:59pm

Their is no view. No sides.

We are all human.

These people will still use their religions to continually prevent “others” from their rights.

In Maryland, despite equal marriage being “allowed” the local council have allowed opt outs
      for their registrar religious nuts.

Can you imagine the same scenario if it were council staff being allowed an “opt-out” from providing
      services to gay council tax payers.

Sorry no.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Dec 2012, 4:21pm

The conflict in this case is his religious beliefs but he’s incapable of distinguishing what a religious and a civil marriage is. I fail to see how he can apply his religion to the construct of a civil marriage ceremony. There is no invocation of any deity and certainly no clergy involved. His argument is deeply flawed. How would he respond to hetero adulterers, some of them serial adulterers who can’t have a religious marriage? Perhaps he should ask Sir Roger Gale, already on his third marriage. I would assume he’s not familiar with the ‘grace’ of god since his church forbids divorced people having a religious ceremony. Tory MP Bob Blackman is another, an expert on adultery along with that other religious Tory bigot, Nadine Dorries. Isn’t it revealing that the bulk of bigotry on this issue is found in the Tory party?

19. If it really is a gift from God, why be so selfish and not share it?

1. Because ‘god’ is clearly a prejudiced, greedy, nasty piece of work.

1. dAVID. I’d say ‘god’ is a collective noun for all the prejudiced, greedy, nasty bigots who claim to speak for this non-existing entity.

20. Henry is my local MP and Tim is a close one who I have met a number of times. This ASTOUNDS me and I shall certainly be writing to Henry and speaking to Tim. Ironic considering the amount Tim has actually spoken to GSM young people. Ironic that Henry believes his constituents essentially don’t want equal marriage when so many of the young people in his constituency voted FOR equal marriage to be debated by the Youth Parliament in the House of Commons. Tim’s locality helped vote that too.

1. You must also work to ensure that this extremist is not re-elected.

21. Carl Rowlands 27 Dec 2012, 9:04pm

I thought the Church of England was born out of something that was not “a gift of God” It has always been my understanding that God played little part in its creation and had more to do with power, defiance and lust! A very basic history lesson would have saved this man from looking a bloody idiot!!

1. Dave North 27 Dec 2012, 9:17pm

It also shows a severe lack of intelligence given that the “man made” concept of marriage clearly pre-dates this idiots religious brain washed interpretation of it.

He has spent his entire life believing the cr@p his local “men of the cloth” has told him.

Religion is utter poison and has held humanity back for centuries.

Galileo for example.

Only pardoned by that roman cult a few years ago.

As an astrophysicist I read varying ill informed news stories on various news “SCIENCE” pages, and the
      comments are unbelievable.

For example. New Start discovery with planet that “could” support life.

And the response is “Gods Plan” from these brainwashed fools. AAAAARRRGGHHHHH.

Why cant we section these people……

1. Dave North 27 Dec 2012, 9:20pm

Oops. Should be “For example. New “STAR” discovery with planet that “could” support life.

That Xmas whisky again….

And why does Microshaft insist I spell it WhiskEy.

1. Also, a lot of comments on the BBC Science articles are completely idiotic, too.

(Because it’s American, and doesn’t value British spelling much. American English is the standard language setting for English language Word documents, too, unless you foribly change that yourself.)

22. Mumbo Jumbo 27 Dec 2012, 9:31pm

From Wikipedia:

….His Voting record includes voting against a smoking ban, equal gay rights, the hunting ban and removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords, he has also voted for stricter asylum system and has never voted on a transparent Parliament.

….Andrew Roth of the Guardian newspaper said of him “assiduous debater, although specialist opponents can consider his viewpoints complete and utter rubbish”.

….During Prime Minister’s Questions on 13 July 2011, the Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow told Loughton – following considerably loud cheers from the government benches and loud jeers from the opposition benches – that if he couldn’t behave like an adult, then he ought to leave the Chamber. Bercow then went on rebuke Loughton after he apparently described the behaviour in the commons as “funny” claiming “Only in your mind Mr. Loughton is it funny. It’s not funny at all, it’s disgraceful.”

Basically, he is just a first class arse.

23. Is the term ‘drooling cretin’ too harsh?

OK.

Ahem.

Shut up, you drooling cretin.

24. His Twitter address is

@timloughton

His email is loughtont@parliament.uk

Send this BNP style extremist bigot some feedback.

Does LGBTory group support the expulsion of this neo-fascist from the Tory Party?

If not then why not?

1. Thanks, dAVID. Just sent this to him
      Dear Mr Loughton,
      If you believe that marriage is “a gift of God in creation through which husband and wife may know the grace of God”, then why would you wish to exclude people who are Gay from this happy state. You deny being homophobic but there are plenty of same sex couples living extremely happily together, many raising children in stable family units. Why do you wish to make a distinction? Please don’t quote scripture. I can quote it back at you. I do not believe you live by all biblical directives. Society has changed since the Bible was written and most understand that a healthy society must overlook (or reinterpret) the less humane instructions set therein. I believe your wish to deny GLBT people equal status in marriage defines you as homophobic. You have a duty to do your best for ALL your constituents – not just the heterosexual Christian ones. Shame on you.
      Yours sincerely,

1. Got a reply saying he only responds to his own constituents in East Worthing & Shoreham. The office phone number is 01903 235168.

1. Ben Foster 28 Dec 2012, 3:18pm

Isn’t that typical. My MP tried the same trick when I questioned him about his LGBT voting record.

2. Don Harrison 30 Dec 2012, 12:46am

Mr Loughton,

Also there was no mandate to force every sick and disabled person out to find a job.
        Are you voting in favour or that Mr Loughton?
        I look forward to your reply.
        Don Harrison
        + my address which is required.

25. His ‘god’ is a complete a$$hole – a fictional a$$hole, but an a$$hole nonetheless.

1. His gawd does not exist.

Only in his indoctrinated childhood and subsequent mental fear in his adulthood after the aforesaid does his unintelligent mind find itself unable to quantify reality.

The religious are sick. In need of therapy to cure them of this affliction.

Believe me. I have Civil P’d and lived with a catholic for 8 years, and despite all the hate and vitriol from that cult, the brainwashing is complete. He still believes it.

26. Dave North 27 Dec 2012, 9:55pm

Antiquated bigot, beholden to his blue rinse voters.

27. This man needs to move to the American South where his style of bigotry and mythology are fully embraced and reflected in their laws.

28. If I’m not mistaken, the “gift of God” that CREATED the CofE was D-I-V-O-R-C-E!

1. Exactly Hayden!

Oh, the bloody hypocrites. What sickening barstewards they really are.

29. Another good reason for gay voters not to vote Tory. To think that Cameron actually had this man in his Government in the first place!

His wife disagrees with him so the article says. If I were her I’d let him know just how much. If Tories are anything to go by, don’t be surprised if he’s cheating having an adulterous relationship behind her back.

30. http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?mpid=40233&dmp=826

Certified homophobe. His only redeeming feature is he voted for Civil Partnerships, but even that is a lie. They voted for the first draft intending to scupper it at 2nd stage. Their plan back-fired and the amendment was thrown out. Now, having voted for during the 1st draft, they had little option but to support it on 3rd reading and the vote otherwise their true motives and intentions would have been revealed.

1. Yes, and it seems Mr Loughton has been less than honest about any work to support LGBT youth. It seems he’s unwilling to respond to questions put to him by The Argus

31. Anyone would think this was the United States, the way some of our politiicians go on about their imaginary friends.
    Marriage predates all existing religions by eons, and will still be around long after they’re gone.

32. This is not a theocracy. Fictitious deities have no say in who can get married.

1. It sort of is.

There is no separation of church and state in England; the head of state is the head of the official state religion and there are many cult of England bishops sitting in the unelected House of ‘Lords’ who are influencing public policy in line with their cult’s lunatic beliefs.

1. Kathryn Howie 28 Dec 2012, 4:51am

and god is as real as the fairies at the bottom of my garden

33. good god, everytime we see an article on here about somebody who disagrees with gay marriage.
    a load of people launch into all sorts of personal attacks about the individual and ignore the points being raised.
    The bottom of the barrel has well and truely been reached when someone feels free to call Loughton a neo fascist.
    The level of intolerance shown on here would not shame the westboror baptist church , jihadists or stromfront.

1. I agree that such strong language is not appropriate.

On the other hand you have to remember that Mr Loughton is, in effect, telling gay people that they are ungodly – which is also a very nasty thing to do.

If Tim Loughton really cared about LGBT youth (as he claims) he would support equality – and that means he would at least be in favour of civil marriage rights.

1. It may be strong language but it is accurate language.

Tim Loughton is a neo-fascist bigot.H

He opposes equal CIVIL right for a law abiding, taxpaying minority group solely becaiuse they are members of that minority group.

If he said the same things about black people or Asian people or jewish people then it would be automatically accepted that he is a neo-fascist.

I don’t care what his moronic cult thinks about same sex marriage.

But if he votes against my equal civil rights then I want him labelled as the dangerous extremist that he is.

1. Well said!

2. Oh purleeease.

The level of intolerance shown on here towards a bigoted Tory MP is very mild compared to the level of intolerance shown towards us around the world. You should see what they say about gay people on other discussion sites – it ain’t pretty and the discussion on here is almost angelic in comparison.

We have nothing to apologise for. We’re very tolerant, all things considering. If some of us can’t vent our frustrations at bigots on here, where else can we?

3. Tim Loughton absolutely is a neo-fascist who belongs in the BNP,

He opposes equal civil rights for a law-abiding,tax-paying minority.

That is neo-fascist behaviour.
      If he was to say that interracial marriage should be illegal people would quite rightly call him a neo-fascist extremist bigot.

He is vile scum and needs to be expelled from the Tory Party for his dangerous extremism.

4. If you take Tim Loughton’s logic then he is saying that anything that doesn’t correspond to the CofE bibilical teachings should continue to be banned and if you take it to its extreme logic then what he is really saying is that anything , past and present, should be banned if it doesn’t correspond to CofE teachings.

That means he would really like to ban all other religions, CPs, criminalise gay acts , stops people getting divorced etc etc…..

If you bring god and church into this argument then why not logically apply it to every other single law we currently have….

5. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Dec 2012, 1:11pm

Are you not aware that some Tories have used terminology such as ‘gaystapo’, and alluding to gay activism regarding equal marriage, among other things as a nazi style agenda? Lord Carey comes to mind, among others, then maybe, just maybe we’ll stop giving it right back to them. Stop apologising for them and defending bigotry. This so called ‘god’s grace’ nonsense has absolutely nothing to do with a civil marriage. If Loughton can’t discern the difference between religious and civil then he’s a bigger idiot that I gave him credit for. He shouldn’t be an MP. Not everybody is an Anglican, not everybody is a Christian. His beliefs do not represent those who don’t subscribe to either.

34. “In my case, certainly nothing could be further from the truth and as Minister for Children and Youth I particularly value the work I have done with LGBT young people and community groups.”

The Argus made repeated attempts to contact both Mr Loughton and Mr Smith to discuss this further but was unable to.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Dec 2012, 4:03pm

Thanks for posting the link, dave. He’s so insistent on a mandate to introduce legislation, yet his own party didn’t exactly get one to form a government in 2010. He’s an idiot and highly unqualified as an MP since he can’t be impartial let alone discern the difference between religious and civil. Civil marriage has no religious component in any way shape or form.

35. Another idiot who needs to realise that marriage predates his religion and therefore has been utilised by it at best, hijacked by it at worst and accept that no one owns the concept or the rights to dictate who can marry and in what way. Yes the law needs to put safeguards in place to stop people who do not know what they are entering into or people who are already married, or people who do not want to be married from being able to BUT that is where they should stop. Gender of the participants is really not necessary

36. Makes no sense – the “marriage is special and sacred so you can’t have it” argument. Coming from an elected MPit is NASTY.
    He will be hearing from me.

37. Tim Loughlin is as disgusting as Nick Griffin.

Does Cameron really want this type of scumbag in the Tory Party.

Does he not realise that our equal civil rights are non-negotiable and that he can shove his piece of crap bible where the sun don’t shine.

It also sounds like he is a religious extremist who wants the entire country to be subject to his cult’s rules.

38. Does anyone have any dirt on Tim Loughlin’s personal life?

Is he living his life to the same absurd biblical standards he wants to impose on the rest of society.

This scumbag has just invited the press to snoop about his private life to make sure that he has always lived up to the standards he is promoting.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Dec 2012, 1:01pm

Except that the Daily Hate Mail and Telegraph wouldn’t dare to probe into his personal life. He’s one of their beloved right wing Tories.

1. The Mirror could give it a go though.

39. The Church of England is being specifically excluded from the possibility of performing same sex marriage, so no problem.

1. But that’s not enough for Loughton as he is an extremist bigot.

His voting record shows the level of hatred he has towards gay people.

He needs to be expelled from the Tory Party.

I’m sure the BNP will have him.

40. In 2009 the number of civil marriages was double that of all religious marriages. The total numer of civil marriages was 155,950. The number of CofE marriages was 56,236 and the number of Roman Catholic marriages was 8,426.

Why then Mr Loughton should the church’s view of marriage be imposed on the rest of us when so few of us want to do religious marriages?

41. Just another lying christian moron. Im curious, does that stupid fairy tales attract mendacious dimwits? Or create them? Since lying through the teeth while overlooking truth seems to be a key requirement of that god-boggled crap.

42. wasn’t marriage a pagan ceremony prior to christian existance, just something they took over to control peoples lives and moneytherefore how can it be a gift from god, stupid man.

1. Spanner1960 28 Dec 2012, 5:23pm

Some might even believe homosexuality was a gift from god as well.
      Who are these people to judge?

Apparently he moves in mysterious ways.

43. Ben Foster 28 Dec 2012, 3:07pm

What a narrow view anyway. He dismisses marriage by anything but the Church of England. By his definition, Catholics, non-conformists, Jews Muslims, hindus, Church of Scotland, Wales, Ireland or any church outside of England doesn’t have the ‘Grace of God’ before we even get started on civil marriage even between two heterosexuals. It’s a wonder he can even get his small, sectarian mind around same sex marriage at all.

Excuse any typos. my computer seems to have overindulged on festive nibbles and the keyboard needs cleaning.

44. Yet another middle-aged bloke with nothing better to do with their time than whinge about the prospect of other people getting married. They seem to be getting very bored and restless this Christmas – maybe Santa didn’t bring them any toys to play with as they have not been good little boys?

45. One day people will think about it and realise that “religion” is a human developed institution born out of the fear experienced by the first humans in the face of unexplained forces that caused damage to their lives. Religious ceremonies were designed to appease the source of these unexplained forces.

Over time these fears were developed into a moral code, which is substantially the same in all religions.

46. Don Harrison 30 Dec 2012, 12:22am

Both Mr Loughton and his neighbouring Crawley MP Henry Smith have signed a letter accusing the coalition of acting without a mandate in relation to equal marriage. also there was no mandate to force every sick and disabled out to find a job.
    Are you voting in favour or that Mr Loughton?

47. The Pope and other Ministers of Abuse must be loving this . . .

I wonder if they were gifts from GoD as well . . .

48. johnny33308 30 Dec 2012, 7:00pm

Civil marriage is a custom imposed by society. Religious rights are protected…you can practice any religion you wish…it is you right to do so. You have no right to bigotry and hatred….these are NOT protected by law, like your ‘religious’ rights…marriage has been around long before the Christian God was noticed or created, so cease your ignorant rantings, please…or learn the truth about your primitive desert religion before speaking of it.

49. I used to get 50p from the toothfairy, now that was a gift.

50. Don Harrison 14 Jan 2013, 6:21pm

I agree that Marriage is a gilf of God and therefore a gift for every one.

51. If marriage is a gift from GOD then my china ,plastic surgery is GODS gift to ugly little homphobes like yourself…