New poll: Most Conservative voters support David Cameron’s same-sex marriage policy

1. OK, so let’s see if the BBC writes about this… or will we be treated to Day 3 of their “Let’s give the religious nutters free publicity” campaign?

1. Benjamin Cohen 26 Dec 2012, 9:01pm

Very good point. There is a lot more coverage of negative elements of this story than positive ones

1. Dave North 26 Dec 2012, 9:21pm

So much for impartiality.

I have sent them a complaint online.

1. And so much for their overpriced license to discriminate against us , those who pay their wages. bbc, the nasty broadcaster.

2. The bbc has lost all credibility .

3. …yeah lets remember they got Tatchell to make comments about the pope’s visit and about the abuse scandal hysteria – and this is the man who said :

‘The positive nature of some child-adult sexual relationships is not confined to non-Western cultures. Several of my friends – gay and straight, male and female – had sex with adults from the ages of nine to 13. None feel they were abused. All say it was their conscious choice and gave them great joy.
      ‘While it may be impossible to condone paedophilia, it is time society acknowledged the truth that not all sex involving children is unwanted, abusive and harmful.’
      Did he tell the police the name of the adults ? – or was there a conspiracy of silence ?

4. Jock S. Trap 27 Dec 2012, 11:15am

Indeed Sacha. I think the BBC forget that LGBTQI people also pay for the license fee too, yet they clearly have no wish to remain impartial nor give positive airtime for marriage equality.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Dec 2012, 12:38pm

Quite right, Sasha. I hope as many of us as possible contact the BBC to voice our opposition to extremely unbalanced coverage of the equal marriage debate. Makes me wonder why we pay our t.v. licences to promote bias doesn’t it?

2. Craig Nelson 26 Dec 2012, 9:34pm

Repeated surveys of opinion show solid majorities in favour of same sex marriage after a sustained public debate not to mention sustained seies of scare stories. Yet the majority holds.

Time to legilsate now I think. The issues have had (more than) suffient airing.

3. The Infamous Culex 26 Dec 2012, 10:23pm

Should priests be allowed to marry their altar boys?

4. The Infamous Culex 26 Dec 2012, 10:24pm

Should priests be permitted to marry their altar boys?

5. Another interesting statistic is that if you compare the list of Catholic MPs in parliament (http://content.yudu.com/A1pr89/TheTablet/resources/36.htm) with the list of MPs supporting equal marriage you’ll find around 43% of Tory Catholic MPs and around 52% of Labour Catholic MPs all in favour of SSM.

Kindda breaks the myth that “people of faith” in particular Catholics are all universally agasint SSM. It’s just not true.

6. Yes- but the pope has urged ALL catholics to oppose this!

They wouldn’t dare BE SEEN to go against the pontiff’s wishes. So- when it comes to the actual vote-they will do whatever “his holiness” has said.

1. Reality calling 26 Dec 2012, 11:39pm

I disagree. Whatever the Pope says regarding sex before marriage, contraception and abortion is completely disregarded amongst all my nominally Catholic friends. I don’t see any reason why they would suddenly take notice on this issue?

Religion is dying and public debates on issues like this should reflect that. What the Church thinks about gay marriage is irrelevant. BBC coverage should reflect that. Printed media should reflect that.

2. John – Tory Catholic MPs who have come out in favour of SSM include Ben Gummer, Damian Collins, Iain Duncan Smith, Jane Ellison, Damian Green, Mark Harper, Patrick Mcloughlin etc etc. Work it out for yourself. The number of Labour Catholic MPs in favour of SSM is even higher.

It’s a complete myth put out there by the Catholic church that ALL catholics are universally agasint SSM. Don’t get misled by the media and look at the actual facts.

3. GulliverUK 27 Dec 2012, 6:40am

Do you mean like the 90+% of Catholics in the UK/US who have used contraception? Most Catholics take no notice at all of the Vatican rantings, but use logic and common-sense where required. In terms of social justice and being fair and supporting equal rights – the majority of Catholics and Anglicans, here and in the US, support equal rights.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Dec 2012, 12:45pm

Strongly disagree . If you look across the pond, the catholic hierarchy there threatened some of the catholic politicians with excommunication and even wanted to withhold the sacraments, communion for example,if they voted in support of equal marriage. Governor Mario Cuomo of New York, a catholic, opposed his church as did the Governor of Maryland, went ahead and lobbied and managed to get the law passed. To date, the hierarchy hasn’t taken any action. It knows it’s a losing battle no matter how much it protests. It’s coming whether they like it or not.

7. Only religious extremists and the very old oppose equal marriage.

Both groups are dying out !

That’s why the Tory dinosaurs need to wake up before they become extinct like Mitt Romney.

1. Yes, older people *tend* to look on equal marriage unfavourably, however to imply that all old people do so is a) quite true or b) quite fair.

1. Oh, sorry, Gerry: I there should be a “not” in my sentence just before the “a)”! :D

I shouldn’t type comments when I’ve just woken up!

2. Don’t generalise Gerry, I’m sure you are right about religious extremists but a significant number of ‘the very old’, as you term them, are as liberal-minded or more so as the young. And it’s in poor taste to rub your hands with glee at the prospect of the old dying out – the old are our much-loved parents or grandparents, whose death will not be the source of delight you seem to infer.

8. Mare1797@hotmail.com 27 Dec 2012, 12:07am

I find it hard to believe that most people support call me Dave’s same sex “marriage” policy.
    They do not, that Guardian poll is rigged and not a true reflection at all of what people really want. At best they are not bothered at all.
    And of course the LGBT people are liking Dave more but they are not going to necessarily vote for him in 2015 and even if all of them do it wont make any difference. The fact that he’s alienated the rest of the population with his crazy adherence to mad, bad and totally dangerous policies and ideologies will ensure that he never gets voted in again.

1. David Cameron and his Government have a “crazy adherence to mad, bad and totally dangerous policies and ideologies” towards the disabled and because of that I for one hope that the Tories and Lib Dems don’t form the next Government.

However, you say that most people do not support marriage rights being given to gay couples and that the Guardian poll “is rigged”! I am interested to know why you appear to be so sure about that. I mean, how do you know?

Bigotry wouldn’t be the reason why you are so self-assured in your self-proclaimed knowledge that the poll was rigged, by any chance? I only ask because usually it is bigots who claim that polls are rigged if the findings don’t fit-in to their narrow view of the world.

1. Hello Alex,
        Wow you seem so quick to call me a bigot! Do you know what a bigot actually is?I bet you’ve never really met one?
        I know because I have seen more polls and questionnaires that state otherwise so have come to the conclusion that the Guardian one has been manipulated somehow. I have also asked many people including the homosexual and lesbians I know, where I am and they are indifferent, couldn’t care less or not at all supportive of same sex marriage.

You know homosexuals and lesbians have all the rights they need, and it is good so, with civil partnerships/unions. You won’t be gaining anything more with marriage. Call me Dave isn’t giving you anything more than you already have. If I were you I would put your enthusiasm behind his promise to give married and civil partnered couples a tax allowance. That would be more beneficial and popular.

1. Look mate, gay people aren’t a different species. Some will want to get married and others won’t. Everyone, black, white, jewish, muslim, christian, gay and straight want a fair go in life and have the same hopes and aspirations. The govt shouldn’t prevent that. We all want the same rights and opportunities and want to be regarded as equals. The law shouldn’t be a barrier to that and at the moment it is. Marriage should be availble to all.

I don’t expect to be accepted as married by you but I can only hope that in time more and more people will accept that gay people can get married and will accept us for what we are. Homophobia doesn’t disappear overnight simply becuase we have marriage. I know that.

IBUT I can assure you that the majoirty of LGBTI people want full equality in all things.

2. Jock S. Trap 27 Dec 2012, 11:29am

The conclusion of most decent polls and some religious ones constantly show support for marriage equality.

Shouldn’t the question really be, when are you gonna finally wake up and remove your head from your sorry bigoted arse?

1. Don’t be so ignorant and rude

3. I didn’t actually call you a bigot – I only asked if you were because your post did give that impression, but it was probably silly of me to ask as no bigot ever admits to being one!

I have to laugh that you bet I’ve never really met a bigot. Well, I have unfortunately met not just one bigot, but many. There have always been and always will be bigots and marriage equality won’t make such people disappear – in fact, even the very notion of it has made more crawl out from under their stones – but in time, even if it is a long time, equality for gay people will hopefully make bigots a rarer breed.

2. “The fact that he’s alienated the rest of the population ”

Despite a well financed and well co-ordinated campaign backed by some very powerful people and organisations , including the Catholic church, the petition by the C4M has only managed to get signatures from around 1% of the UK population (that’s assuming those signature are all genuine and originate from the UK). I don’t call that the “rest of the population,”. I call it a disagreement with a tiny group over a small issue that will soon be forgotten.

I agree the majority of the population will not regard “gay” marriage as an election issue. It’s too trivial for most people but it’s obvious to everyone that the Tory party is going to lose some of its anti gay toxic image if they bring it in and that won’t only be remembered by the “gay” community but also by those people who are more to the right but can’t bare fair right toxic social policies like those promoted by the right in the Tory party.

1. People don’t vote for a party simply because they are “nice” to homosexuals! They vote for a party that is going to do things that will be of benefit to them and their children in the short medium and long term.
        And why are my comments now being hidden? Hasn’t Pink News got the guts to show them?

1. Your comments are hidden because readers, finding them homophobic, select them for exclusion.

3. Jock S. Trap 27 Dec 2012, 11:25am

LOL yeah yeah we get it, if it doesn’t go the way of the religious extremists it must be rigged.

A bit pathetic don’t ya think?

What’s up your superiority complex on the wain?

9. GulliverUK 27 Dec 2012, 6:35am

Although the DG, in past times, did not have an email address, all the others are firstname.lastname@bbc.co.uk – I should know I had one myself. If it is the BBC News division, then emails should be directed to the head of BBC News – if anyone can remember who that is this week ! :)

10. I hope they do it already, just accept the change.

11. Jock S. Trap 27 Dec 2012, 11:11am

MPs need the to remember this when it come to the vote!

They were not voted in to bring in laws and legislation via their own consciences but by the will of the people they are supposed to represent.