Vatican paper says marriage equality efforts aim for a gay ‘utopia’

1. Can anyone else hear that? That is the sounds of straws being clutched and bottoms of barrels being scrapped yet again!

1. I can’ think on something more utopic that the paradises and heavens promised by the Church.
      They just don’t know what else to say or do to stop progress, because they know what that means for them: total loss of power.

2. Again?
      Don’t you mean still?

1. Yes, that too!

2. Well I have to agree with them I mean we must live in a complete different time to the Catholic Church. I suppose if we want to see 1500’s go to the Vatican

1. Look at the popes outfit, and WE are living in a different reality?

3. Someone that uses the delusional belief that there is a hateful sky fairy up there saying other people live in a different reality? Yeah we do… We live in the eral world.

4. Not even going to bother reading what they’ve said. No moral authority whatsoever from a vile organisation responsible for the largest systematic child abuse scandal known speaking out against consensual adult relationships whilst covering up for their child-raping priests.

5. With such transparent lies, it amazes me that anyone, even the most fervent believers, can put any stock in the institution of the Catholic church. Are these desperate moves from a business that is failing?

The evil that comes from the Pope/CEO demonstrates the reality of this quote from Blaise Pascal: “People never do evil so completely and so cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.”

6. The Vatican says we’ll pay a very high price if we attempt to achieve economic and social equality. Yeah, I’ll say… no surprise that, coming from the most unequal. Pure evil, basing their cult on the ‘virtues’ of suffering and poverty whilst rolling in unimaginable wealth and power.

7. Another load of hate filled drivel.

8. Much as I hate to say it…do not underestimate his power and persuasion.
    some facts for ya:
    Most of the figures are taken from the CIA Factbook.[1]
    According to the CIA Factbook, the five countries with the largest number of Catholics are Brazil, Mexico, Philippines, the USA, and Italy. The country with the largest Catholic percentage of the population is Vatican City, at 100%.
    According to the Census of the 2012 Annuario Pontificio (Pontifical Yearbook), the number of Roman Catholics of the world is about 1.196 billion at the end of 2010 (At the end of 2009, it was about 1.181 billion).

1. Which leaves 5.804 billion who aren’t. And taken that most Catholics don’t follow the rules of their own church on such things as contraception, adultery, divorce, abortion etc, that means there is only about, let me see, one real catholic on the planet – the pope.

1. Speaking as a French Canadian (lord only knows we were a very Catholic people), I can assure you that the vast majority of practicing Catholic Quebecers are VERY pro-LGBT rights (after all, we have marriage equality here).

Actually, Catholic nuns here have been militant in trying to force the Vatican hierarchy to fix all of the inequities in how the church treats women (and nuns in particular, obviously).

And a personal anecdote: I invited my childhood piano teacher – a Catholic nun – to my wedding (in a United Church of Canada), and she was MOST happy to participate. She has since regularly asked after my husband whenever we speak (I have kept close contact with her). We’re not talking about a young “modern” nun. The woman is at least 70. And somehow, she manages to be far more Christian and accepting than the leader of the Catholic church.

So yes, even people you’d THINK were “strict” in adhering to catholicism’s dictates aren’t.

9. Sounds like Pope Marple has been listening to Brian Fischer.

10. The Vatican so needs a nice hot cup of shut the f**k up.

11. The Vatican needs a nice hot cup of shut the f**k up!

12. Translation: marriage equality = communism

poverty = divinely ordained

Nuff said.

1. And unsurprisingly, the vast majority of writings/words attributed to Jesus Christ sound remarkably socialist in tendency.

In other words, most “christians” are about as far from the “true” nature of what Christ’s (whether he existed or not, the ideas are there) teachings really represented.

1. “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.” Gandhi

2. Yes the trick is to keep people feeling guilt or experiencing material need, and of course the threat of hell for the less receptive.

13. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Dec 2012, 1:33pm

Oh….but isn’t the catholic priesthood the gay utopia? Funny how they’re still vehemently against women clergy don’t you think?

14. That There Other David 18 Dec 2012, 1:44pm

Gay people live “in a different reality”….says the man in a dress living in a palace surrounded by priceless Renaissance art all funded by the world’s poor.

Hmmm…..

15. The dangerous thing is that as the Vatican loses its grip on western morality (or is beginning to) it’ll only tighten its hold on other parts of the world, namely Africa. The cultural difference between the west and elsewhere when it comes to gay-rights issues is a gulf that will only grow wider and wider thanks to their input and the speed at which we’re progressing on this subject.

16. Jock S. Trap 18 Dec 2012, 1:49pm

Talk about hypocrites!

So the will of democracies is like a “communist- like “utopia”” says the likes of communist-like facists Religions!

The Vatican will continue to use hatred, even on World Days of Peace to spread violence against another innocent human being, because the nasty bigots disagree with the way I was born.

Let remind them…

Being Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual etc = Not A Choice…

Religion = a Choice and taught.

Stop the promotion of religion I say. It’ll cause less harm and maybe will create a better society.

1. Lynda Yilmaz 18 Dec 2012, 2:03pm

Hypocrisy is fundamental to the Catholic Church. So no surprises there. I liked the part where same sex marriage would be a threat to justice and peace. Of course the Catholic Church (or indeed any religious institution) would know all about justice and peace heh? Really, I don’t feel angry or outraged at any of the things these people say anymore. It’s just so laughable.

17. I see progress in this. They finally agree that a world with sexual euality is a utopia. That leaves them arguing in favour of an inferior order.

“Thy kingdom come, on earth as it is in heaven” – not if this Pope can help it!

18. I like the way they keep playing up the “fashionable” angle. Essentially, they are saying “you should listen to us because we are unpopular!”

19. They are the ones in the different reality.

20. Pavlos Prince of Greece 18 Dec 2012, 2:39pm

Is the existence of this ‘semi-official newspaper of Vatican’ not the biggest utopia of all times? I think, it is. 50% ‘official’, 25% ‘not official’, and 25% of lie, right? Soviet press was at least absolutely clear at this point.

21. I think the Catholic Church, specifically the Vatican, is living in a different reality. Let’s say Midevil Times. Sadly, they influence many mindless followers. The fact is that they can not rationally defend their views. Reasonable and fair minded people will eventually walk away from this nonsense and the Catholic Church will either evolve or die withering on the vine due to it’s irrelevance.

1. living in a different reality eh…Sir ?

22. “Being Catholic is about much more than embracing fashionable cultural standpoints.”

Like joining the Hitler youth then?

23. Julian Morrison 18 Dec 2012, 4:58pm

“in the past when there was an attempt to achieve total economic and social equality” – some Catholic dude

Oh?

“Jesus said to him, ‘If thou dost will to be perfect, go away, sell what thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come, follow me.'” — Matthew 19:21

24. Darren Theoret 18 Dec 2012, 7:47pm

I thought the Vatican was a gay Utopia. Really! Look at Miss thing trapsing around in a white dress all day. You try that in real life and you’d get your mug beat! Too bad that outfit doesn’t come with a vail; A wool vail. Silly old poof.

25. Janet Lameck 18 Dec 2012, 8:10pm

Talk about misinformation and Church doctrine BULL-SHIT! With the number of priests, and lay workers who sexually molested us kids thru the year the Church has NO place to talk or even comment on this issue! I was born and raised catholic, was sexually abused for 4 and a half years in a Catholic Boys School. I don’t hold the Church responsible for what those so called “Christian Brothers: did to me, but then they never apologized to me either. I nevcr lost my faith, BUT I won’t go near a Catholic Church either.
    That damned Pope Benedict was in charge of covering up these abuses under the former pope when he was cardinal Josef Ratzinger.

26. Why are they so worried about what happens here anyway? Provided they stick to their beliefs they are going to heaven before too long? That right guys?

27. “Catholic baiting is the anti-Semitism of the liberals.”

28. I think the church should focus on its own shortcomings first before criticising others. At least gay marriage is an act by lawfully consenting adults unlike covering up for paedo priests.

29. Too bad that the Catholic Church will not accept “fashionable” changes in favour of equality. Pathetic the guys in the Vatican don’t get it yet that their opinions have become insignificant in a large part of the world, and that includes many christians.

30. I think it may be a form of envy. They’ve tried to create a Catholic utopia for the past 2 millennia and failed