Obama petitioned to label church that blamed Newtown school shootings on gay rights as a ‘hate group’

1. Here at the church of the “Holy Extinguished Westboro Baptists” we express our right and our faith in ending their existence. And I expect state help and a tax break to enable me to do this. I also expect an automatic seat in the house of lords, because I say so.

2. I hope that President Obama does label these idiots as a hate group. And the sooner the better!

1. I would hope that your right, but suspect it unlikely! WBC have some restrictions placed on their presence at funerals in some states like Arizona, and the distaste for the WBC seems consistent across the country, I don’t see a move as simple as that any time soon.

If the Supreme Court is liberal enough to find for them and uphold their rights to free speech under the constitution… and go as far as to award them damages and costs, this from a parent of a deceased soldier at whose funeral they protested.The possibility of being branded a hate group seems slim.

I like you would like to see them labelled a hate group, but don’t think it’s a wish I will see fulfilled.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Dec 2012, 2:08pm

I wish we could get the same status for C4M. That petition has far more to do with hate than people imagine. Their hateful rhetoric alone warrants the label, hate group. Similarly, the Daily Mail and Telegraph foment hatred towards gay people.

1. I am in complete agreement! in the UK it many happen in the US I’m not sure! you only have to read the judgement in the following paragraph and you’ll understand why it could be an uphill battle.

“Their demonstrations have featured signs that read “Thank God for Dead Soldiers,” and “God Hates Fags.” It might be a stretch to find many people who would agree with this line of reasoning or the appropriateness of such a venue for spreading their word. But a nearly unanimous Supreme Court ruled that such demonstrations are protected under the U.S. Constitution.”

1. Janet Lameck 17 Dec 2012, 6:28pm

Just because the Supreme Court ruled for them doesn’t mean they were right.

1. Unfortunately it’s the way they interpret the law and the Constitution!

But! I concur it doesn’t make it right. The logic seems flawed when hate speech is protected. How ever if you could have WBC branded as terrorist then you would have every law in the land shutting them down!

4. I don’t know why people seem to be so pressed about The WBC. They’re a bunch of wackos with signs. Remember the phrase “Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me”? Who cares.

I liken them to the crazy cat lady from The Simpsons: So random and out of left-field that one cannot help but laugh.

1. Jock S. Trap 18 Dec 2012, 11:24am

That may seem to be like that but their words only have to be carried by those more vunerable in society to listen and do harm because of those words.

Their words have consequences. Most will see them for the nuts they are but some will act because of them.

5. Garry Cassell 17 Dec 2012, 2:15pm

They are a hateful group…when has anyone heard them say or do anything close to positive…They are just a bad family…needs to be put away somewhere to prevent a terrible tradegy which is soon going to happen….time to heed the warning…

6. September Meadows 17 Dec 2012, 3:33pm

I have to admit, the U.S. Army sign, the one with the two silhouette men playing leap-frog made me laugh :D It’s just SO ridiculous!

7. September Meadows 17 Dec 2012, 3:59pm

I have to admit, that U.S. Army sign, the one with the two silhouette men playing leap frog made me laugh :D It’s just SO ridiculous.

8. Whilst I hope petitions, and public distaste for this group influence the President to act accordingly, he would have to have pretty strong arguments to challenge previous Supreme Court rulings.

9. Long overdue, I’d have thought? If these imbeciles had been directing similarly hateful words at black people, I think they would have been outlawed years ago.

10. Perhaps they should rename their cult, Psychos Are Us. A group of utterly useless individuals. I anticipate them getting their dues when they picket those children’s funerals. Some parent will lose it and they will become stuck in that parents car grill.

11. Janet Lameck 17 Dec 2012, 6:24pm

This time they have gone to FAR! Better yet label them as a terrorist group.

12. douglas in canada 17 Dec 2012, 10:49pm

Free speech – at some level, it’s like the freedom to urinate.

Of course, I’m allowed to pee, but not anywhere and everywhere I like. If I pee in your pool or your coffee, without consent, I should be charged with something.

My fear of them picketing is that some really p*ssed-off parent who has lost a child, will take a gun to these idiots, and it will be the parent who is charged.

WBC should be banned on the grounds that they incite anger and make false accusations.

13. What does labeling as a hate group actually do? Are there legal sanctions or something. Everyone already knows they are a hate group. They themselves even define themselves as a hate group by having the word hate in most of their banners.

14. mickie_newton 18 Dec 2012, 12:35am

I think the people of this two may have something to say about this awful people picketing these poor children’s funerals!

What vile people they are!!!

15. Everybody knows that psychiatry is to blame for the school shootings. The shooter was influenced by psychotherapist and their psychotropic drugs that make people get guns and kill themselves and others.

16. Jock S. Trap 18 Dec 2012, 11:15am

If this groups main target was about race or indeed against Americans, I doubt the judges would have been so easy to allow them their arguments to stand. To csarry one with such hatred.

This speaks volumes about those Americans who think this kind of anti-human behaviour is acceptable. This is nothing to do with Free Speech but to do with inciting hatred, inciting violence. That in any society does harm.

Educated them for pity sake starting with the Judges!