Cameroon: Court refuses to release man serving 3-year sentence for ‘homosexual behaviour’

1. That There Other David 17 Dec 2012, 1:28pm

If Africa continues down this path it’ll be interesting to see how much public sympathy there will be for them when future environmental crises occur.

2. 3 years for textual behaviour. Outstanding, Cameroon comes first in the anti gay league. What a backward country full of very ignorant people. Maybe we should send all the anti-gay marriage protesters to Cameroon to see what they have wished for.

3. ...Paddyswurds 17 Dec 2012, 2:33pm

@That There Other David …..
    …..Your comment is despicable. You would firstly visit the sins of the father on the son by your crass comment about “future environmental crises” and secondly the inference that you would sacrifice lives over our Gay rights. I find it very difficult to even imagine you are Gay so I will assume you are one of these “straight” trolls that like to stalk this site. While it is despicable that anyone anywhere in the World, and you shouldn’t omit places as diverse as Jamaica, Russia, and Iran when you consider your reaction to gross hatred and homophobic murder suffered by Gay humans worldwide, including here at home in the oh so comfortable and self righteous West. Thirdly you seem to be so confidant that it definitely wont be your sorry arse that will be getting wet, frozen or even blown away in an angry environmental event. Do “think on ” as the say in parts of Britain. It’s one thing to be stupid, but to open your mouth and prove it quite another …..

1. ...Paddyswurds 17 Dec 2012, 2:37pm

as they say**

2. Patrick Lyster-Todd 17 Dec 2012, 3:58pm

Paddswurds – I can’t say that TTOD’s comments are that profound or well chosen – but your own words are even less productive: Do get a sense of balance and don’t be so over-dramatic!

3. That There Other David 17 Dec 2012, 6:21pm

Paddy, I fail to see how predicting the likely outcome of the growing divergence in opinion between Africa and the Western World on social issues makes me somehow less human. I don’t advocate starving people or denying them aid in that post, neither do I believe that anyone should, but African governments and churches all over that Continent are slowly digging their own people into a hole.

I don’t know if you remember when Pakistan was flooded a few years ago, and due to post-9/11 Islamophobia across Western Europe the vast majority of Europeans completely ignored the plight of those affected. You are very naive in your thinking if you believe a similar backlash could not occur to an African nation.

1. ...Paddyswurds 17 Dec 2012, 7:27pm

I could have written your reply an hour before you did,sadly. First things first You should have read my comment several times, because you are rewriting it in your head and your version and mine bear no resemblance. I did not call you inhuman; that is your own guilty conscience doing that, nor did predict anything altho your warnings of backlash you attribute tom me, is sadly prophetic and mainly because there are more people whot think like you and that is the problem with the entire human race at this moment in our saga. We have been here before several times, but again, sadly, we don’t seem ready or able to grasp the lesson of history….As for whether or not i am being over dramatic, that dear boy, is like beauty, all in the eye of the beholder. Someone else may have thought my comments style dull and undramatic, but wont change because of your opinion…………

1. ...Paddyswurds 17 Dec 2012, 7:32pm

…and what exactly was Pakistans awful sin that it suffered this backlash you have concocted, again not unexpected. Comparing 9/11 with the jailing of someone for breaking the law (whether we like it or not) is facile and definitely worthy of the charge of being inhuman…..

2. That There Other David 17 Dec 2012, 7:37pm

Paddy, I want neither you nor your posting style to change. I am simply pointing out that you are reading into my words a wish to harm that was simply not intended, nor evident to me as I read back the post in question.

Now please, I’m not getting into a slanging match of the “someone on the Internet is wrong!!” variety. If you genuinely believe I wish to punish starving people for any reason then that’s your prerogative.

4. Jock S. Trap 17 Dec 2012, 4:03pm

Pointless and pathetic! I can’t believe they would use the law anyway let alone for a simple text message.

Absolutely disgraceful.

5. This is absolutely disgusting. Why is the anti gay hate in Cameroon not getting the attention that Uganda is? WHAT CAN WE DO TO HELP????

1. David Myers 18 Dec 2012, 2:20am

Sure they should be getting negative attention, but they are not, to my knowledge currently contemplating passing a law to make homosexual acts a “capital crime”. There is a difference here!

6. I would suggest the U.S. put pressure on the country of Cameroon to change their wicked policy toward gay people but our current President seems to care little to follow up on the expectations of policy change here (from his sudden support in public). It seems more evident every day that he only used the topic to gain favor and not assist in our struggles. Shame on Obama.

1. David Myers 18 Dec 2012, 2:27am

Did you even watch Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s historic statement to the UN, backed by the Obama administration and by full notice that American foreign aid would, in the future be dependent upon what perspective recipients’ policies were on the right to freedom of association of its gay/lesbian citizens? Didn’t think so! Shame on YOU for shooting your mouth off and for not giving credit where it is due – to the Obama administration! Here is a link to that speech. Do yourself a favor and watch it before spouting off any more on what you obviously know nothing about!