Video: Ian McKellen has ‘never met a gay person who regrets coming out’

1. /sigh

I’ve had a serious crush on Sir Ian for the longest time.

1. I don’t fancy him but I do admire him.

I saw the Hobbit today and his performance as Gandalf was tremendous. I <3 Gandalf.

He's really successful at what he loves doing: acting; as well as being kind, wise, polite, well adjusted, empathetic etc. I think there's no better way to show it to the bigots than to find what you love doing, be awesome at it and also just being a damn good human being. It's what I aspire to.

1. What a nice sentiment Andykins!

2. He obviously hasn’t met Rupert Everett, then.

1. Rupert Everett believes all his woes are down to coming out as gay. Why can’t he just accept that he can’t act, and that’s why he gets no job offers..

Ian McKellen, on the other hand, is one of the great actors of our time.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 15 Dec 2012, 1:19pm

Though I’m not a fan of Everett, I will say his performance in ‘Blithe Spirit’ with Angela Lansbury was quite good. He received good reviews for his role at least.

That said, in his defence, you have to agree with him. No openly gay actor has ever been given a leading straight or gay role in a Hollywood film, with the exception of Sir Ian in Gods and Monsters, but then that film was a joint American-British production. Wouldn’t have happened had it been 100% American. They all go to straight American actors such as Tom Hanks, Heath Ledger, Matt Damon, Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas, William Hurt, James Franco, some of them Oscar winners. Sir Ian was nominated twice but never won although he should have.

I don’t much care for Everett or his comments regarding equal marriage but I have to give him credit for speaking out against the black-listing of openly gay actors in the Hollywood film industry. Sir Ian is proof of that, arguably the greatest living actor of all time

1. Yes but Rupert, while ruggedly handsome, is too fay for those leading Hollywood roles.

3. He hasn’t met me either. Very often I wish I had never come out – suppressing my sexuality was easy, but having to deal with the whole depressing world of sex and sexuality has been an unremitting burden these last ten years. The anxiety, the rejection, the unfulfilled longing, the time wasted fruitlessly pursuing people, the loneliness and isolation, the feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness – I never had to deal with any of this before I made the decision to allow sexuality to be a part of my life.

And not because of homophobia or bad reactions from my friends – they were all fine with it – but because engaging with the world of sex and sexuality has been so difficult and painful and unrewarding. They promise love and boyfriends and happiness and confidence, but all I get is isolation, bitterness and feelings of inadequacy. It would have been far better if I had remained in denial – the happiest years of my life were my late teens, when I strenuously suppressed these feelings

1. As ever, of course, I would not recommend it to everyone. Clearly many people (probably most) find coming out and engaging with their sexuality a helpful experience. But in my own case, at least, and I can’t be the only one, it has been the gateway to nothing but misery.

Then again, I never got to play Gandalf or Magneto…

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 16 Dec 2012, 4:01pm

Hi VP, I don’t want to sound trite and I hope I don’t but perhaps you’ve been looking for love or relationships in the wrong places? Suppressing your sexuality doesn’t help as you come across as someone who had been or is looking for a relationship. We all or many of us long or pine for someone who we don’t end up with. I hope you are able to find someone and not think of your teenage years as the peak of happiness in your life.

2. Hi VP. Really sorry to hear you have had such a painful experience. Being Gay certainly has its own stresses and disadvantages but many straight people (particularly women, in my view) may claim to have had an equally disappointing love life. You would have encountered different problems if you had tried to keep your true nature under wraps all this time. Many of us resist accepting ourselves in our teens. Perhaps easier to do then when sexuality seems such a mystery anyway.
      You may not have found a lifelong partner (yet) but your honesty will, I do hope, have enabled you to have some valuable friendships.
      Love,
      Cal

3. Hi VP, being happy and homosexual doesn’t necessarily mean having sex. The way you describe yourself does hint that some of this may be down to your approach. The way you use the word pursuing people for example. Most people don’t want to be pursued.

I am glad at least your friends have stood by you because that is more important. Maybe you should relax a bit and just meet people without an ulterior motive and just make friends. You never know what may come of this. There’s a whole lot more to life than sex. Not having sex doesn’t make you any less gay.

4. I regret how I was outted, but I’ll never regret being out :) hope from despair, I guess.

5. Hysterical Screamer No. 243 15 Dec 2012, 4:27pm

Could some of you please visit the following page, read through the comments of liberal homophobes, and reply to them with reasonable but confounding arguments? It’s horrifying, I think, that so many liberals are homophobic.

6. Wow.

7. TheLizzie12 15 Dec 2012, 10:57pm

If Ian McKellen’s statement is true, why does the Pink News keep focussing on him? Surely a wider range of gay men exist who have points of view and opinions which can be expressed on this website? As much as I admire him, and respect what he has achieved, I am tired with his face and views continually being promoted on Pink News. Sorry Ian.

8. Suddenly Last Bummer 16 Dec 2012, 3:55pm

How old was Serena anyway when she came out? Not exactly a poster boy for people coming out in their youth.

1. Well, I must say that is a pretty queeny comment. He was born in 1939 and came out publicly in 1988. Homosexuality was illegal in Britain until 1967. He did the best he could. Sir Ian is a great spokesman for coming out. He has certainly made up for lost years, working tirelessly for Gay causes. You are a mean-spirited person.

9. NutjobsareeverywheretheUNtoo 17 Dec 2012, 1:26am

Oh to live in his perfect world !!

10. NutjobsareeverywheretheUNtoo 17 Dec 2012, 1:49am

Well if you wanna meet one call me Ian !!