US: GOP Senator who cast deciding vote for New York marriage equality concedes

1. That There Other David 13 Dec 2012, 11:36pm

It should be pointed out that he lost to a Democrat, rather than an anti-equality Republican.

1. So his own voters stabbed him in the back then. I get the sense that he was ready to retire now so fell on his sword. While previously voting against to keep his job?

What a sad state of affairs.

1. I doubt that Republican voters turned against him to vote Democrat on just this one issue, though they may have been stupid enough to stay at home or vote for an alternative more extreme candidate, just as the mouth-foamers over at the Daily Telegraph are proposing to vote UKIP, presumably without realising this will get them Miliband as PM….

1. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Dec 2012, 12:52pm

Quite, which means the Tory party will be in isolation for yet another ten years or more. Obviously, they’re not worried about what they wish for and are incapable of seeing the larger picture. People voting against their own interests, truly amazing. Staying home is also voting no and giving an election to the opposing party. Stupid people should have a stupid tax imposed to offset the deficit.

2. He did the honorable thing. It’s too bad that he had to pay such a price.

With three out of four Republicans losing their seat, this will keep many Republican legislators in other states from supporting marriage equality in the future, unless opinion polls strongly support it.

3. Aussie Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 14 Dec 2012, 12:18am

I feel sorry for his loss, he was a Great politician!

I will miss him, because of him marriage equality came to New York State in the final 4 votes from Liberal minded Republicans in the NY Senate!

Yes he is a Republican, a true honest Republican who believs in FREEDOM in marriage, less Government and less interference in our lives – thats the true and honest Republian way and does not listen or bow down to the religious Taliban Christian zealots who have taken over to embarrass the party like a Tea Party for little girls!

We need to REWARD and DONATE to true and honest Republican politicians who fully support Gay rights all the way to full civil marriage equality!

I will and other gay men and lesbians will NEVER forget your courage of your conviction for your vote on civil marriage equality in 2011!

Note: I am not a Republican supporter, I support a party or an individual lawmaker that supports same sex civil marriage and then passes and signs those bills into law!

1. Paul in Brighton 14 Dec 2012, 9:34am

Brought a tear in my eye reading that, Paul.

Of course you overlook than in 2009 he voted against equal marriage thus delaying it’s introduction – while better late than never might seem a good thing, I’m old fashioned when it comes to principles. Either you have them, or you don’t. Acquiring them in line with public opinion isn’t a great way to be principled.

As for the Republican party – they have a long shameful tradition of treating LGBT people appallingly. He was in power during this period, so again, coming late to the equality party.

Will I miss him?

4. GingerlyColors 14 Dec 2012, 6:56am

I hope that there are more pro-equality Republicans waiting in the wings and ready to step up to the plate.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Dec 2012, 12:55pm

“I have defined doing the right thing as treating all persons with equality… And that equality includes the definition of marriage. I fear that to do otherwise would fly in the face of my upbringing.”

Take note, Tory back benchers. Bad upbringing indeed, especially those of the so called ‘christian’ persuasion.

6. Don Harrison 15 Dec 2012, 12:35am

This sums up sTory values