Tory MP Sir Peter Bottomley condemns same-sex marriage opponent Colin Hart

1. Well said, Sir Peter!

Hart is a pudgy, obsessed (and surprisingly fey – draw your own conclusions) bigot. Glad that Hansard will record that fact for all of recorded time.

1. The religious have no scruples and will always lie if it benefits them. They are wholly corrupt.

1. Not all religious, but for many “Lying for Jesus” serves a higher purpose.

2. de Villiers 11 Dec 2012, 4:33pm

Substitute the word religious with blacks / gays / socialists.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Dec 2012, 12:38pm

Well done, Sir Peter, long overdue. This is what I’d been hoping would happen, someone in Parliament countering the bigotry of the opposition. I hope more will follow his fine example.

3. It is about time someone in parliament called the C4M group into question.

I can’t wait to see Colin Hart’s response (if any) will be?

4. Sister Mary Clarence 11 Dec 2012, 12:46pm

All credit to him for not mincing his words.

It would be good if this is picked up in the mainstream press and hopefully he’s been outspoken enough on the subject to ensure it gets coverage.

1. it won’t be too many C4M goons in the media that want the public to believe C4M is the truth.

5. Colin Hart was spouting his usual bigotry on R4′s “Today” programme this morning and as usual he made himself look a complete out of touch prat.

Well done Sir Peter!

6. I hate to have to say it but some tories are really stepping up here, I never thought I would live to say thanks to a conservative.

1. Same here.

7. Robert (Kettering) 11 Dec 2012, 1:25pm

Seems the Conservatives are far more vocal in their support in the Commons than Labour and Liberals MPs. I applaud those brave Tory MPs and I’m not even a Tory voter. Thank you Sir. Peter.

8. Is this the same Colin Hart who shares a house with his male friend? Lol!

9. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Dec 2012, 3:09pm

Poor old Anne Widdecombe must be wetting her knickers. She and Hart can no longer claim that churches will be forced to marry us. Both are now confined to the dustbin of history, both losers, both on the wrong side. This was a good day.

10. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Dec 2012, 3:23pm

I think we should all write a letter of thanks and gratitude to Sir Peter for having the courage to speak out against Colin Hart and his hate group. Again, well done, Sir Peter and thank you.

11. Strong words – and completely true. I too find it “disgusting”. Well done, Sir Peter!

I’d say it was more than hyperbole though – more like outright lies and the fomenting of hate and prejudice. Nasty, nasty people.

12. This should have happened sooner – they should have corrected the BBC when they falsely reported it but they didn’t.

13. Paul in Brighton 11 Dec 2012, 9:39pm

I don’t understand this at all.

Sir Peter Botomley has never to my knowledge being pro-gay rights, in fact, quite the opposite.

I don’t know who writes Pink News features, but perhaps they should do some digging into Bottomley’s voting records where I think you’ll find he either voted against equality, ie lowering the age of consent and couldn’t be bothered to turn up to vote on proposals to introduce CPS.

Locally, he is known as a Conservative with a Big C who represents the blue rinse brigadge of Worthing – A seaside town in the South Coast just along from Brighton where elderly affluent Tories come to spend their remaining days before shuffling off to the next world.

My recollection, and I could be wrong, is that he has spoken out not in favour of Same-sex marriage but against.

Thus this piece really does come as a shock to me.

I would be happy to be wrong, and if so will apologise, but this ain’t the Sir Peter Bottomley that I knew?