Government consultation: 53% in favour of equal marriage

1. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Dec 2012, 1:50pm

Marvellous news! What a blow to C4M and their gang of hate-mongering fools!

1. 500,000 sheeps, not even capable of thinking for themselves and writing down a good credible and logical explanation as to why they are opposed.

1. Jock S. Trap 12 Dec 2012, 12:27pm

Don’t forget many of these ‘sheep’ were told what to do, to sign this…. nothing democratic and all on false propaganda.

2. Can’t wait to see Lord Carey frothing at the mouth over this!

3. I am awaiting my eye-roll when I read they’re denouncing the consultation for being “leading” or “vague”. Bigots are such poor losers, after all. Although, super happy equality so clearly triumphed here! :)

4. Adam Thomas 11 Dec 2012, 2:12pm

Finally, no one can say “the british public dont want this” anymore.

5. *smiles sweetly at the opponents*

Can’t wait to marry my fella! He proposed this time last year and we’re waiting.

1. Fantastic, that’s wonderful! I’m absolutely delighted to hear that and would like to wish you and your fiancé a very short wait and then a wonderful wedding!

Bring on marriage equality! About time.

6. Excellent! Especially as so many of those fundie ‘christian’ groups orchestrated numerous email campaigns urging their supporters to copy and paste their anti-equality guff to the government. A lot of noise from a small group of people, I think.

7. The world has changed. A pro gay-marriage President of the USA just got re-elected, remember? To all the christian evangelists out there … I agree. God does indeed work in mysterious ways …. :)

8. It’s great to see some actual numbers to point out to “anti-equality” groups. Naming them that in and of itself should tell them what side of history they’ll be on.

9. I’m wondering who the people who answered “don’t know” or “not sure” are.

“I feel so strongly about this legislation, I’m going to go on the government’s website and give them what for! Now if only I could decide whether I’m for it or against it.”

10. We know that the anti petition had 500,000 signatures. Surely if they felt that strongly about they would have all completed the consultation? But there’s only 228,000 entries on that, of which only 46% are opposed, that makes 104,880 entries who I would think have not all signed the petition.
    Erm, multiple signers much? Or do we have some people with a lot of bluster but when it comes to having your voice heard via the consultation they were lacking follow-through? Or what?
    I reckon there were lots of duplicate signatures.

1. multiple signers and a lot of foreigners were signing C4M as well who then got kicked out by the software for not being eligible to take part.

11. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Dec 2012, 3:21pm

Widdecombe and Hart said that government was very much mistaken in believing that there was overwhelming support for equal marriage. Well, my dears, the people have spoken and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about that. Your petition has been totally repudiated and blown out of the water. Now run along Annie, say 3 Our Fathers and 3 Hail Mary’s for your penance. Pray a little harder since God didn’t answer your prayers.

1. Also, I think that 53% support from the consultation highly likely understates the public’s support. The 53% are just those of us who bothered filling the thing in. There are huge numbers of people out there who either don’t mind or actively support equal marriage but they just aren’t engaged enough to bother with the consultation. That’s my feeling from just talking to people.
      And there are a number of people who mistakenly think that we already have marriage equality so they wouldn’t have bothered to respond either.

I would love to see a more up-to-date poll, that would be interesting!
      Couldn’t agree more with you about people like Widdecombe, Hart or Carey. I will never forgive them for what they said. Odious.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Dec 2012, 5:20pm

Absolutely, Giselle! I believe that the population is probably more than 65% in support. Most people I talk to are genuinely supportive, not all participated in the consultation. You would think that C4M claiming to have over 500,000 would have overhwhelmed the consultation and outnumbered those in support. This proves to me that their supporters are far fewer than they’d like us to believe and calls into question the methodology used to yield such a number, but of course Comres refuses to divulge it claiming client confidentiality. It also makes me think that there are far fewer Tories in parliament opposed than originally thought.

The days of the Widdecombes and Harts of this world are truly numbered, thankfully. Their lies have finally been exposed and discredited.

1. remember c4M only reported UPTO 110 *MAY*- they included those that said they were not sure, those that said they wanted more information, those that said they had questions, those that said they would wait for the outcome of the consultation, those that said they were waiting for more views from their constituents etc…

The real number is probably nowhere near the amount they bigged their numbers upto be.

12. Don’t approve of marriage between 2 people of the same sex? Then don’t get married to someone of the same sex and but out of other people’s business buncha busybodies.

13. Something fishy going on here – if 200000 individual responses yet 500000 signing the anti gay marriage petition, how can the government say that over half of respondents are in favour of gay marriage?

Because most of the people signing up to the petition felt their concerns were addressed in that petition they did not see the need to add to it – I include myself in that number.

14. sxejfizabeu 1 Jan 2013, 2:51pm

MY0mAt tmxxralbwymb, [url=http://pycbdnhukdej.com/]pycbdnhukdej[/url], [link=http://nwdwrzewwrgd.com/]nwdwrzewwrgd[/link], http://ujztiplpajgx.com/