Tory MP Bob Blackman: Cameron should be re-introducing Section 28 not letting gays marry

1. Mr Blackman would do well to remember that the world and society have moved on since the days of Section 28.

He is nothing but a homophobe who should have no place in politics.

1. Is this idi *t living in the real world? Someone should tell him the Middle Ages ended long ago.

2. Hysterical Screamer No. 243 7 Dec 2012, 6:46pm

Yup! Lynch ‘im! Off with his testicles! Into the fire!

1. Unless you provide pictoral evidence to the contrary, we have no evidence he has testicles.

I’m only making this point because so many conservatives (not all Conservatives – there is a difference) have stated that equal marriage will lead to the destruction of society, but not provided any evidence to back it up.

Before you advocate removing Mr Blackman’s testicles, I feel you ought to provide evidence that he has them. Then – and only then – can we decide on an appropriate form of action in terms of dealing with both them – and the man to whom they may or may not be attached.

In the spirit of fair play, Hysterical Screamer, all comments on equal marriage should be evidence-based. The onus is on you to prove that he has more than one testicle – and then (only then) can his peers decide what to be done with them…

Apart from that, Hysterical Screamer, carry on. You’re clearly providing some kind of community function – although, for the life of me, I can’t tell what it is.

1. Hysterical Screamer No. 243 8 Dec 2012, 12:16pm

Gimme your email address! I need someone totally cool, calm, and collected like YOU . . . in my LIFE! Be my darling!

2. How does a dinosaur like this get elected to parliament? Talk about being out of the mainstream – he’s firmly on the lunatic fringe with comments like that.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Dec 2012, 5:50pm

He gets elected by similar minded morons who voted for him. Those who read the Daily Mail and Telegraph for starters.

1. I also blame the UK’s ‘first past the post’ electoral system. There is no choice but to vote for their party’s sole representative. I know people have a ‘choice’ not to vote at all but in reality people feel compelled to exercise their right and with no alternative they look at the bigger picture and vote for their party regardless of the candidate’s personal views.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Dec 2012, 2:36pm

The irony is, that those Tories in opposition may not vote in the next election or cast a vote for the BNP or UKIP as a protest, not realizing that their worst nightmare will come true, a Labour government. It shows how stupid they are. They had better be careful what they wish for.

2. Because we have a party system and people vote blue rosette without having a clue what his beliefs are.

People need to take more responsibility and find out what their candidates think on moral issues where there are free votes.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 8 Dec 2012, 12:35am

My guess is politically he’s so dead in the water, we’ll not be hearing from him come the next elections. He can’t realistically think he can stray so far off the new party line and get away with it.

3. Dave North 7 Dec 2012, 4:10pm

“The key point is what is happening in schools particularly to very young children, what they’re educated and what they’re told.”

Indeed Mr Blackman/

They are being taught that discrimination and bigotry are wrong.

Does that compute!

4. PantoHorse 7 Dec 2012, 4:13pm

Good grief! It just beggars belief that people with views as odious as his are in positions of influence and power. Ffs! I really do despair.

Also – note to PN – would be useful if you could give his constituency too.

1. James Justice 7 Dec 2012, 4:15pm

Harrow East

2. Bob Blackman
      Conservative MP for Harrow East

3. Nick Davis 7 Dec 2012, 4:23pm

Vote against him.

5. Jock S. Trap 7 Dec 2012, 4:14pm

Nasty Bigoted Cavemen should crawl back to where they came from!!

6. Threaten him with a new section – 28AG imprisonment of anti gays

7. Nick Davis 7 Dec 2012, 4:22pm

Help, if I want to complain to this guy, and my local mp, where do I find their emails.

8. Ooh, great idea, Bob! Let’s do away with the Race Relations Act while we’re at it, and end women’s right to vote. Let’s make sure that straight white men like you keep others in their places, eh?

(and yes I’m being sarcastic in case there’s any doubt :D )

1. it wont do that his area is mainly made up of Asian people

9. PantoHorse 7 Dec 2012, 4:23pm

People like him really sicken me. Him, Widdleface, Carenot, O’Brien….. the list goes on.

Have the BBC deliberately gone on the hunt for slathering, rabid homophobes to spice up their afternoon? They’ve dragged out the coalition for marriage conference article, this bloke, I expect someone’s already on the phone to O’Brien, who’s probably already drafting his latest rant of hate for broadcast from pulpits on Sunday. They’ve also posted a Q&A in which they say CPs are legally equivalent to marriage – they’re not. The differences are subtle, like in pensions and survivors benefits. The BBC seem to be showing anti-equal marriage bias with every story they come out with.

10. I can’t wait for the ‘caught in a hotel room with a naked rent boy’ scandal’ on this one….no doubt its coming soon.

11. Surely David Cameron has no choice but this expel this disgusting extremist from the Tory Party?

Opposing equal civil rights is inexcusable in any circumstance.

But calling for the re-introduction of Section 28 goes much further than that and is a more extremist position than even the BNP holds.

1. However, when did David Cameron stop supporting Section 28? Something like 2009? Reminding everyone about an extremely homophobic piece of legislation introduced by Thatcher and strongly supported by the bulk of the Conservative Party until less than a decade ago is the last thing he wants. By the way, the BNP appear to have supported Section 28 in the past, and their rhetoric on homosexuality usually goes beyond anything even most of the right wing of the Tory party would say.

1. The BNP is the past. I should know since I was a member. A new
        nationalist party will be launched soon that will have more modern attitudes to this issue. Mr Griffin should have modernised the party in this respect but failed to do so. I can see why Mrs Thatcher introduced
        it but it was an inept piece of legislation. I believe that there were fewer than ten prosecutions under it?

1. You can see why Thatcher introduced Section 28? Can youi explain it to the rest of us then?

1. I believe I am correct in stating that Mrs Thatcher introduced it to stop Labour councils concentrating on teaching about homosexuality in schools to the detriment of normal lessons. Undoubtedly, it was a very badly-written piece of legislation (like the Dangerous Dogs Act 1989) as it was hardly ever used.

12. alan rustle 7 Dec 2012, 4:34pm

said he.. clearly with a huge rod up his arse.. what you fwightened of Bob? :p

13. Maybe we should table a motion in Parliament to prevent Bigot Breeders from holding office ???

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Dec 2012, 2:39pm

How about putting disestablishment of state religion on the table for starters? That would really put the cat among the pigeons. I can just hear them ranting on about abuse of religious freedom. The bigots clamour for a referendum on equal marriage, but they would be dead set against a referendum to disestablish the church undoubtedly, exposing their bigotry for what it is.

14. Hannah Buchanan 7 Dec 2012, 4:44pm

Bob Blackman is probably out of step with the electorate and his own party on this one. He’s welcome to sit as an Independent if he’s so principled.

1. Sadly, I fear he is not that far out of step. We might have come a long way in the past 20 years, but while the majority of our printed media, Torygraph, Mail, Sun etc are still happy to treat LGBT+ people as 2nd-class citizens, then we’ve still got one hell of an up-hill struggle ahead of us.

1. But we have some very good friends as well. The Evening Standard is a splendid quality paper with an absolutely massive circulation.

Here’s today’s first leader: http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/gay-marriage-in-church-is-a-basic-right-8392820.html

You couldn’t ask for better than that !

Wish Evgeny Lebedev would take over the Mail or the Telegraph.. :-)

15. Bob the Bigot. Oh sorry we can’t call bigots bigots anymore. Oops too late.

16. Jason Feather 7 Dec 2012, 4:50pm

It had to be a Tory didn’t it! Why is the mindset of the right so opposed to what is good & right? Is it just fear of the unknown? A lack of a good education or upbringing? A very shallow existence where they just mix with people of the same income & social standing? Probably all of the above go towards creating a knob head like this douch bag

1. The whole point of conservativism is to oppose change. The Conservative Party is inevitably going to attract large numbers of people whose goal is to maintain their privileged status (see their historical opposition to the democratic reforms of the 19th century, gender equality, and racial equality).

1. I’m emphatically not a Conservative (I made the mistake of voting for Thatcher once – mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa – I never made that kind of mistake again).

That said, when I look at the fundamental vacuuity of some Conservative MPs and see Cameron’s response, I have to admire the Prime Minister on this issue. He has absolutely nothing to gain (in the short term) by adopting the stance he has. I’d like to ascribe some kind of nefarious purpose to Cameron’s actions, but I can’t find it.

Emotionally, I want to look at Blackman’s comments and say: ‘Typical bleeding Tory’, but then I look at the comments by other Conservatives who strongly support equal marriage – and I just can’t do that.

I have no time for most Conservative policies with regard to the economy or future direction of the country and there’s no way in Hell I’d vote for them.

1. However, I don’t think opposition to equal marriage is ‘typically Tory’. Instead, I see it as typically numpty and – and even though the Conservatives are afflicted with more numpties than most, as a party they’re not the sole reservation for Big Game Numpty-Hunters.

Blackman and his sorry ilk might make a lot of noise, but they’re not representative of all Conservatives.

And now I’m going to whip myself with a rolled-up copy of Das Kapital to get rid off the horrid taste of defending Conservatives

2. The Conservative Party only really represents the material
          interests of the better-off in our society. I suspect Cameron is quite liberal on this matter but he no doubt sees some electoral calculation in it too. The Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transexual community is reckoned to be slightly better-off in general than the average member of the population so if the Tories support gay rights then he thinks more of you lot will vote Tory.

17. Here we go another vile ignorant bigoted tory ..he has no place in the politics …..we don’t need dinosaurs like this in a democratic country get him out now!!

18. this MP was elected by a very small advantage, probably in 2015, its place in parliament it will be taken by a labor MP.

1. His seat was previously held by Tony McNulty, who resigned as a minister in the last government after he was found to be claiming expenses for a house for his parents to live in. Though Bob Blackman apparently has a bit of a history of corruption too (from his time as leader of Brent Council). Presumably there is a very good chance he will lose his seat in 2015.

2. As a Tory he must know that he has very little chance of holding his seat as that part of London is becoming steadily more Afro/Asian and they don’t vote Tory. Even Hindu Indians are generally reluctant to vote Conservative. I think Cameron has calculated that he needs more well-off whites to vote Tory to counter ethnic voters and basically that includes you lot.

19. He needs to get over himself and his vile aspirations of a return to the dark days of Thatcher and her cronies of the time….newsflash Mr Blackman the queers “are not for turning” ……Clause 28 is never coming back you sad little bigot!!

20. Craig Nelson 7 Dec 2012, 5:09pm

Loathsome.

Cameron trying to detoxify his party by getting us all to forget section 28 ever happened. Some in his party are determined not to let him.

21. I saw that interview on the BBC. The Beeb seems to have quite a queue of anti-Gay MPs waiting to get on and denounce Cameron. They are not being balanced. The bigots say such stupid things and are often not pulled up on it bu the interviewer.

1. Journalism at the bbc is amateur and inferior, which is left in no doubt from the recent scandals. The bbc is institutionally homophobic , anti semitic , shoddy journalism at its worse.

1. I don’t feel like that about the Beeb, generally. But I do think they get it wrong with gay issues. When there is a racial issue they do not invite white supremacists to give their opinion so why give a platform to all the Christian haters when equal rights are being discussed? I don’t mind their presence in a debate but they are being given special status.

22. What a nasty person he is. People like this enter politics because they know that the will gain a position where they can influence and affect the lives of people with the aim of bullying groups they dislike due to their own hatred and ignorance. I can’t think of a worse type of human being yet people like him say the unemployed or asylum seekers are scum?

23. Tom Stone 7 Dec 2012, 5:22pm

This man was the worst leader of Brent Council there has EVER been. His views were bad then – and they seem just as bad, if not worse now.How did the People of Harrow elect such a monster.Shame on you Bob Blackman

24. What I want to say about this man can’t be posted on here. What a disgusting thing to say, comments like this are what you’d expect from the BNP and the far-right. It just reinforces my negative view of the Tories.

25. As a Conservative, I agree that the views of this MP are not only completely unacceptable, but utterly idiotic.

I am sick and tired of homophobic bigotry. Today’s Telegraph article has the most biased reader poll I have ever seen. The comments section under the article is also a gallery of shameful bigotry.

I am sure the DT comments sections attract supporters of fascist ideology. Yesterday the DT had to close its comments under an article exposing appalling racism in Holland. As socially conservative as the DT may be, many posters are definitely not standard DT readers.

1. Bob Blackman is extremist scum whose opinions on gay rights are more extreme than those of the BNP.

Why won’t Cameron sack this dangerous bigot?

Blackman is a neo-fascist.

26. Best to ignore the reality of the human condition Mr Blackman eh? Fingers in ears, make a loud humming noise and bring on the sham unhappy marriages?

27. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Dec 2012, 5:57pm

About time the BBC were held accountable with their bias clearly geared towards supporting bigots. What are we paying tv licences for I wonder? You can bet religious nutters at the BBC are the ones promoting this kind of bigotry. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. Cameron’s government should repudiate this vile homophobe’s comment and censure him or better yet, boot him out.

Notice the silence of the C4M and the Christian Institute hate groups in all this. Tacit support undoubtedly.

1. The BBC have to be seen to be unbiased and balanced, even in the face of such obvious bigotry. Also, in highlighting the ignorance of such intolerant beliefs, they have shown Bob Blackman in his true colours and perhaps more of his constituents might consider not returning him to parliament next time… although I won’t hold my breath.

28. Sadly, Bob Blackman’s opinions are probably more widespread than we would like to imagine or hope, especially amongst the right-wing leaning Brits of which there is a ferociously vocal majority.

While I’m no Cameron devotee, I do think his positive stance on marriage equality is not earning him any Brownie-points with grass-roots Conservatives, many of whom are more likely to side with Bob Blackman.

1. I agree , homophobia is rampant in london and the UK, more evidence seen at last weeks by election in croydon, where a fanatical, extremist from ukip came 3rd. This mp has probably increased his support by his bigoted comments.

1. On the contrary, the Croydon UKIP candidate did quite badly, coming third whereas the other UKIP candidates came second !

1. That was probably because Croydon North has few white Britons left in it. UKIP like the Tories and the BNP only do well in white areas. It is not rocket science that the strongest Tory parts of this country (after taking into account whether the area in question is rich or poor) are white places. I live in Brentwood and Ongar which is the seat of Eric Pickles and it is very white and has always been very safe Tory.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Dec 2012, 6:47pm

Cameron was fully aware that the grass-roots conservatives wouldn’t support equal marriage when he first mentioned support in 2010. Fortunately, those same conservatives are not the majority in the Tory party. It wasn’t a matter of point scoring. The vast majority of the British public don’t support right wing extremism. Its just that the most vocal among them have bigger mouths because they don’t like change. They don’t make significant gains in elections and what little progress they make doesn’t translate into becoming part of our government, thankfully. You can expect more outrageous rants as equal marriage approaches because they know that is the reality they’ll have to face whether they like it or not. It was exactly the same when CPs were in consultation and up until legislation, just as vicious, just as mendacious and just as irrational.

29. Hodge Podge 7 Dec 2012, 6:12pm

I like this Tony McNulty bloke.

30. Poor Bob must be extremely frustrated that he is powerless to stop equal marriage from happening and it shows. To call him cretin would be very kind

31. That There Other David 7 Dec 2012, 6:21pm

What was I saying about this being the perfect way to identify our opponents?

Mr Blackman, I really hope you have another career to fall back on in 2015. This one isn’t going to last long.

1. He is in a very safe seat………….unfortunately. It is the only way people like him can get elected.

1. That There Other David 8 Dec 2012, 12:10pm

Harrow East isn’t a safe Tory seat. Labour held it from 1997 until 2010. It would only take 3,000 or so votes more to Labour in 2015 and Blackman will be out.

With the Tory and Lib Dem votes currently suffering I think he’s already got a battle on his hands even without making idiotic comments about things he obviously knows nothing about.

1. I stand corrected :P

2. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Dec 2012, 2:33pm

Quite, and he only just scraped by in the last election. His days are numbered.

32. Keep talking, Mr Blackman.

Thanks to you, people on the fence about marriage equality have been helped to see the anti-gay lobby for the bigots they are. So keep it up!

33. Hysterical Screamer No. 243 7 Dec 2012, 6:45pm

What a pathetic way of broadcasting to the world that he’s a full-blooded normal hetero. Poor man needs some lovin’.

34. What a pathetic excuse for a human being.

35. Robert Brown 7 Dec 2012, 7:15pm

. . . and there are MANY of them in both the Labour and Conservative parties . . . MPs, Cllrs and more . . . (oh . . . and PC, SNP, SF etc etc) . . .

He wouldn’t be saying that opposite race couples should not be allowed to get married.

36. I get sick to the back teeth listening to all these right wing nutters because they cant answer any question without bringing children into the debate.

37. Mumbo Jumbo 7 Dec 2012, 7:36pm

Good grief, they really are coming out of the woodwork today.

38. Does Mr Blackman also believe that homosexuality should be made illegal? Does he feel that is the ‘right way forward’? But hey, Mr Blackman, why stop at discriminating one minority, why not also discriminate against Jews, Muslims, blacks etc. Because if you discriminate against one minority you end discriminating against all of them, and then eventually everyone.

39. BlokeToys 7 Dec 2012, 8:14pm

The guy clearly in his job for the money and the perks. He’s all for racial minority groups, because they are a large section of people who voted for him, but he’s a homophobic bigot – racism and homophobia go hand in hand, so he’s outed himself a panderer for votes. The guy is quite disgusting. He’s uneducated, ignorant, bigoted and opportunistic. The idea that people voted for him is astounding.

1. Do they really? Martin Webster of the NF was gay. Did he hate himself?

1. Perhaps he was just incredibly stupid? Bob Blackman clearly is.

40. This man is a homophobic bigot, nothing more nothing less, the Tory’s should be ashamed to have him in their ranks. I was quite annoyed that the BBC let this bigot have an unopposed rant without any real questioning or intervention by the news interviewer. There should have at least been a balanced point of view with a contrary opinion.

If you feel as strongly about this as I do then complain to the BBC for their biased coverage on today’s news.

If you want to contact the BBC and complain here is the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_3980000/newsid_3986100/3986153.stm

41. Why should Section 28 be reintroduced? This is an outdated Thatcherite policy and should be forgotten about. Anyone who calls for its reintroduction clearly needs to get out more and see how much the country has changed since its abolition.

1. It was a silly policy. I am a former supporter of the BNP (still a nationalist though) but even I can see it was an inept piece of legislation. I can see why Mrs Thatcher introduced it but it was so badly drawn-up (perhaps that was an inevitability) that I believe it was only used on less than ten occasions.

42. Just shows that for people like Blackman and the rest of those people who have signed the C4M petition that this has nothing to do with the word marriage and more to do with homophobia.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Dec 2012, 2:32pm

Except they’ll play the “I have gay friends” card to avoid being labelled homophobic. So transparent too, as well as bigoted. I’d have more respect if they admitted it, but they don’t, they lie instead. Hypocrites!

43. We wrote to him not long ago when the consultation was going on and he wrote back to us with Harrow council letter head stating his religious belief that marriage should be between a man and woman and very homophobic language. I sent the letter to Peter Tatchell but no reply. I guess we’ll just have to wait till this moron is taken to justice when he be voted out in the next GE.

44. What a dufus. I appreciate that Mr Cameron doesn’t want to force his party’s members to all adhere to exactly the same views, but really, if he wants to modernise the party then he’s going to have to push the likes of Mr Blackman out and let them go scuttle off to join the far right.

45. When somewhere between 3% and 10% of the population, depending on which surveys are followed, indentify under the LGBT umberella, it is necessary to provide education on same sex relationships. Not only for the 1-3 people in a class of 30 but for others as well. Prejudice will only be overcome with education and understanding, not with hiding something and bringing shame to those who would be victims of prejudice.

Wprst of all, public figures should not be in a position to proscribe prejudice whether it is for vote gain or because it is their own belief. They should support equality across the board and promote it – because the privelidge of having a public voice is not to promote your own agender but to work for those that have given you this privelidge and work solely and exclusively for their best interests and for the best interests of the community: which is promoting peace, tollerance and allowing everyone to live without fear of recrimination.

46. The arseh0le was only elected in 2010, so hopefully he will turfed out next time round.

1. He will almost certainly get voted-out. That part of London is becoming more and more Asian and even many well-off Asians don’t vote Conservative. Britain’s ‘stupid party’ if it had any sense of electoral self-preservation (let alone a sense of doing the right thing) would bring immigration to a virtual halt. It isn’t sensible to import more Labour, Lib Dem, Green voters.

47. mailto:bob.blackman.mp@parliament.uk. Why dont we all let Bob know what we think of him and his views !

1. http://bobblackmanmp.info/…some interesting facts about Bob and his work or lack of it as an MP .

48. http://bobblackmanmp.info/
    makes interesting reading about Bob and his ability as an MP.

49. johnny33308 9 Dec 2012, 4:16am

I’ll bet he also believes that the Earth is flat and that the Sun revolves around it, as well!

50. This man is obviously ill in the head, he should not be in a positionof leadership and trust . Let5s hope his haterd and bile consume him in a cancerous way

51. “”A very small number of people have same-sex relationships where children are involved… there may be some. The key point is what is happening in schools particularly to very young children, what they’re educated and what they’re told.”

Yeah, cause children can’t be gay, eh, mister. Illogical.

52. Hey – you old Tory bigots! Keep it up! This way, your party and the media organs which support your vile homophobia (Mail, Telegraph) will soon wither on the vine and we can all move on with a nicer, kinder society

53. Ladies and gentlemen the Tories are back in the building!

54. Sadly, Tory MP Bob Blackman is only saying aloud what 100s of 1000s of fellow-bigots in the UK are thinking.

At our local Christmas Lunch yesterday one detected the usual forced and fake smiles from nearly all of the heterosexual couples present. Out of about 20 couples, we count 5 individuals as being genuinely supportive and 10 as being prepared to tolerate us. At least all of the remainder aren’t openly hostile, although after one of them had had a couple of glass of wine he dared to praise Norman Tebbit to the rest of the table as “a fine man who knows how things should be in this country”! (Yes, I responded strongly, though politely.)

We have an on-going battle on our hands, regardless of all the supportive legislation.

55. This nasty Tory MP was behind a successful legal bid to block an honour for Nelson Mandela. Just two months after the ANC leader had been released from prison in 1990, Bob Blackman took Brent councillors to the High Court to stop them awarding him the ‘freedom of the borough’.

56. A Tory MP was behind a successful legal bid to block an honour for Nelson Mandela. Just two months after the ANC leader had been released from prison in 1990, Bob Blackman took Brent councillors to the High Court to stop them awarding him the ‘freedom of the borough’

57. Fair play Bob! I agree with everything that you have said. Children need to be protected from homosexuality, it is clearly wrong! Children are far too sexualised as it is today and need protecting from this left wing indoctrination that was once right to do is now wrong. It is little more than extremism no better than the days of Hitler where by anybody that didn’t agree with him were put in prison or killed. What we have now are laws introduced to force people to accept it otherwise they are discriminated against and are potentially put in prison of ‘gay hate’ simply for expressing disagreement or if it comes into conflict with their religious believes. Wow I guess this really is progress my liberal friends huh? When we live in a world that tolerates only one side of the argument and discriminates the other!