Tory MP Bob Stewart: I will vote against same-sex marriage, but I’m not homophobic

1. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a bloody duck. Marriage is and always has been a mechanism of civil law, going all the way back to the ancient codes of Hammurabi and Ur-Nammu (which codified relationship dynamic, rights, obligations and dissolution) and the addition of a supernatural invisible friend was NEVER a part of it until religion usurped law.

His argument is spurious dishonest drivel that can be, and has been, debunked from the start.

In short – Liar.

1. Your comment is missing the words “… and coward.” in its closing statement.

1. Honestly, Sasha, it’s missing a number of words that I can’t say on Pink News… But I concur, his eyes are on serving himself and keeping his feet under the very cushy table of being an MP, country be damned.

2. I’ve so much discrimination and oppression in my long and wonderful career that I will not stand for any more, unless of course it’s aimed at my “true gay friends”.

1. “I’ve seen” typo.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Dec 2012, 2:01pm

Quite! He says…’As such, I view marriage, whether organised simply by the state or a combination of church, temple, mosque and state, to be different to civil partnerships and special in a unique way.’

He must also believe that hetero divorce is special in a unique way and the reasons for much of it caused by adultery, in some cases serial adultery and serial civil marriages, reserved uniquely for heterosexuals. What he’s done is exhibited his own bigotry. He’s also confirmed to those among us who believe CPs are identical to marriage that they are indeed NOT, in any way shape or form.

Who are those true gay friends he claims he has I wonder? Why don’t they step foward and let us know why they support this bigot let alone consider him as a friend? He’s echoing C4M’s notorious Anne Widdecombe’s mantra who claimed that there are “many” gay people who are strongly opposed to equal marriage. Just how “many” does that signify?

3. This feller certainly seems a bit of a quack to me.

2. “I accept civil partnerships now although I must admit that I was vehemently against them when I was a young man. Of course we lived in different times then and society has changed – me with it.”

When does this pillock think CPs came into being?! Was he drunk when he wrote his comments?

1. Forgive me if I don’t hang around waiting for him to change his mind again. That statement alone should disqualify him from being an MP.

Would he vote for the death penalty and then change his mind. His carer should really keep him indoors and on the medication.

3. How can you NOT be homophobic if you believe that homosexuals should be prohibited from all the rights of heterosexuals? Indeed- The Right to Marry is a statute embedded in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights!!

4. “I accept civil partnerships now although I must admit that I was vehemently against them when I was a young man”

When the Civil Partnership Act of 2004 came into force, Bob Stewart would have been 55 so not really a young man.

You were a homophobe then and you are a homophobe now. Proof that a leopard never changes it spots.

5. I REALLY want to know who these gay people are who are the friends with people who work so actively against gay people like this.

STOP BEING FRIENDS WITH THEM. Someone who believes you deserve less civil rights than they do, is not your friend.

1. sylvatica 5 Dec 2012, 6:44pm

He knows gay people , but they are no friends of him.

6. Matt Harrison 5 Dec 2012, 1:03pm

Definitions exist to be redefined. Innumerable words have changed meaning over years.

Traditions exist to be broken. Where is animal sacrifice in modern society? Or paying for brides with livestock or other goods?

And religion should have absolutely no place in making the laws of this country. In what way is it fair for one sector of society to be allowed to force its views on the rest of society?

7. “Personally I am not in the least homophobic and have great and true friends who are gay.”

…I’m not racist, some of my friends are black…

8. So ,,, this tosspot wants gay people to be treated as second-class citizens … but he’s not homophobic? Perhaps he should take a long, hard look in the mirror. As we all know, homophobia is driven by self-hatred … fear of ones OWN inner sexual desires. “Show me a homophobe (or someone who says they’re not one) and I’ll show you someone gay, in denial”. What a vile, backward-looking, typical Tory he is.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Dec 2012, 1:48pm

And notice, they are all Tories spewing this nonsense. Until they purge their party of these right wing religious nutters, they’ll always remain the nasty party, no matter how many of them may support equal marriage. How many Labour and Liberal Democrattic MPs are doing this? Hardly any!

9. He should bloody abstain then – tosser

10. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Dec 2012, 1:46pm

Civil marriage is NOT a sacrament. What is it with these bloody religious nutters? Oh I forgot, it’s a Tory.

To all those people, gays included, who believe that CPs are sufficient. People like him have said that marriage is a special relationship, DIFFERENT, from CPs and that we are not deserving of it. In other words, we deserve to be treated separately and unequally based on religious bigotry and beliefs.

1. It would be fascinating (in a way) to know what his approach to divorce is, if marriage – even civil – is a ‘sacrament’.

Then again, looking for logic from his ilk brings needles and haystacks to mind.

2. Yes, that bit drove me mad too. How can civil marriage, a purely legal, non-religious ceremony, be a sacrament?? I know many people who chose to have a civil marriage simply because it was NOT a sacrament! Perhaps Bob Stewart would like to stand outside a registry office and tell all the newly married couples emerging that even though they may be atheists (as one example) they’ve now unknowingly taken part in a sacrament?

Stewart IS a homophobe and it’d be good if he could understand that. maybe he could try something like “I don’t think *insert race* people should be allowed to have a mortgage” but I’m not a racist. Yeah, doesn’t work, does it, Bob? And, no, mortgages aren’t ‘sacraments’ either.

Treating people unfairly under the law because of their sexuality is prejudice.

11. “Marriage” is a CIVIL contract. It has been hijacked by religion. Any element of ‘sacredness’ is just silly and made-up, like the rest of organised religion. If these nutters are so convinced god wants gays to remain second-class citizens, let’s have a proper court case about it and they can bring him in to give evidence. So, either Put Up or Shut Up.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Dec 2012, 8:16pm

I agree.

First, before a court case took place, I’d like him and all of his fellow bigots on the right to come forward with the evidence to substantiate their asinine claims in regard to the possibility of polygamous and incestuous relationships which could ensue if equal marriage is introduced, in fact in any country where equal marriage is legal. It has a been a constant theme of theirs since the consultation began. It has been over eleven years since the Netherlands became the first country to legislate for equal marriage. As far as I know, the Dutch government have not introduced legislation for polygamous and incestuous marriages nor has there been any demand for them among heterosexuals. No government that I know of has ever legislated for them.

I think Cameron, Clegg and whoever else need to take a stand and draw a line in the sand. These looney right wingers are coming out of the woodwork in droves and nobody is countering them.

12. But you are a —- !!!!!

13. “Personally I am not in the least homophobic and have great and true friends who are gay.”

ALWAYS with the same excuses. I bet those gay friends really love you for your vote against them having the same rights as you, mister.

14. I have just written to him.
    bob.stewart.mp@parliament.uk

Dear Colonel Stewart,
    I am writing to respond to reports that you have pledged to vote against marriage equality for Gay citizens of the UK. You may personally feel that Civil marriage is a sacrament but is not and has never been. The more conservative heterosexuals try to prevent Gay people from getting married, the more it sounds like nothing else but an exclusive club, barring a part of the community just so the members can feel special. Giving gay and straight unions different names serves only to distinguish an inferiority. I put it to you that no harm will come to you or those you love (or indeed, society) by supporting the rights of two people who love each other to make a lifelong commitment that is recognised equally by the law. You say you are not homophobic. Would you say that you were homophobic in your “vehement” resistance to Civil Partnerships? I would say that the same rules apply. If you wish to deny…..

1. ….. deny a group of people equal rights then you are prejudiced against that group.
      I urge you to defend equality for ALL of the community you have been trusted to represent.
      Yours sincerely,

15. He’s lying when he says that he accepts partnerships. Same-sex couples have been allowed to enter civil partnerships since 2005, the year Bob Stewart turned a very youthful 56. So a very long time ago indeed. I’d say he is still as “vehemently against them” as he has ever been, this made up excuse is obviously just to save him from looking like the nasty and hateful imbecile that he is. He’s just like those people against same-sex marriage who were up in arms about being branded “bigots” by Nick Clegg a few months ago, these people can never seem to own up to their intolerance and it seems the only people who are open and honest about their hatred or prejudice are the lunatic fringe like the Westboro Baptist Church or the extreme right, the rest hide behind pathetic excuses.

1. “Personally I am not in the least homophobic and have great and true friends who are gay.”

For f@ck sake, I am sick to death of these tired and overused excuses. Just admit that you dislike gay people and stop pretending that you don’t. If you’re not homophobic then why are you against same-sex couples having the same rights as you do? Until you can come up with a sensible and logical argument to defend your views I’ll just continue to see you for what you really are-a homophobe,

1. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Dec 2012, 3:16pm

His response would be that we do have the same rights under CPs. They all use it to give them justification for opposing equal marriage, but underneath their dishonesty, they really don’t want those either. CPs have suddenly become a very useful tool for them to use against us. Notice he says he now “accepts” CPs, doesn’t really say he supports them. He’s just another bigoted Tory. There are more in their party than in the Liberal Democratic and Labour Parties combined.

They all say they have gay friends to avoid being labelled homophobic, why even Anne Widdecombe uses it. They must really think we’re stupid to fall for that, let alone the majority of the British public. They are all incapable of understanding what equality means, unless of course you take away their rightsthey’ve taken for granted and have never been subjected to discrimination. BIGOTRY, that’s what it is!

1. It’s “selective equality” which isn’t equality at all but privilege these people think that heterosexual couples should have the “privilege” of marriage and nobody else. Looking at many of the male MPs in the Tory Party in their ideal world privileges would exist only for white, straight, Christian males. Peter Bone and Iain Duncan Smith come to mind.

Those people that say “I am not homophobic, I have gay friends but…..” are like a person in Germany in 1935 saying: “I’m not anti-Semitic, I have Jewish friends but….” if they supported the Nuremberg Laws.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Dec 2012, 3:21pm

The problem with these delusional bigots is that when their bigotry is exposed, they turn around and scream…”abuse of religious freedom.” Yet, they can’t produce one shred of evidence exactly how their religious freedom has been impacted or how hetero marriage has been affected. They aren’t barred from worshipping or believing in anything they want. What they don’t like is when they’re subjected to the equality laws in the delivery of goods and services. They think they’re above the law and are not. Nobody is forcing them to accept equal marriage but then not enough written laws to guarantee that protection would be enough for them. They just don’t like gay people. It has to be their way or the highway even if they are in the minority of religionists. BIGOTRY!

16. It’s only a a sacrament to Catholics and the orthodox and then under very limited circumstances – for Catholics the marriage must be conducted in a Catholic Church before a priest or a deacon duly authorised, so Bob Stewarts blanket description of [every legally conducted] marriage as a sacrament is a gross error. If he is a Catholic he is woefully ignorant, if not he is bandying about a term he doesn’t understand.

1. I think it’s almost certainly the latter.

17. Garry Cassell 5 Dec 2012, 3:09pm

Another Tory biggoted lying sh**head.

18. Some friend. Sounds more like the Vicar of Bray.

19. He’s probably thinking more about his seat in Parliament. I mean, who else would employ him?

20. Isn’t this the same married man who had such problems keeping his pecker in his pants while serving in Bosnia?
    Possibly another Col Bob Stewart, eh?

21. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Dec 2012, 3:50pm

Meanwhile, across the South Atlantic, the Latin American country of Colombia, a diehard Catholic country, has just passed a first draft of equal marriage by a vote of 10-5.

Take note, Stewart, your days are numbered, in fact you and your ilk will be vastly outnumbered. Get used to it, get over it. Equal marriage is coming whether you like it or not.

22. I had an interesting email exchange with Mr Stewart which is as follows:

“Dear Colonel Stewart

I wished to reply to your statement that you are not a homophobe despite opposing equal civil rights for same sex couples.

Your position that marriage is a religious ceremony is quite simply untrue. Over half of Britain is atheist or agnostic and do not share your opinion that marriage is a religious contract.

Your opposition to same sex couples being allowed access the contract of civil marriage because they are gay is blatant bigotry and homophobia.

Considering you regard yourself as a christian then I suppose your bigotry and intolerance are only to be expected.

Your bigotry will be remembered at the next election.

Yours

STEWART, Bob
    1:53 PM (2 hours ago)

How dare you! You obviously cannot understand use of English.
    The bigot is yourself.
    Bob Stewart

1. I’ve been called a bigot by an exceedingly stupid, overwhelmingly bigoted man.

How happy I am :)

2. A bit rich, given his inadequate understanding of the word sacrament, as Peter pointed out above.

23. GulliverUK 5 Dec 2012, 3:54pm

Ah yes, Bob Stewart, grade A arse, and a pathetic Christian;

“What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?”
    1 Corinthians 5:12

Bromley council is just the place for him – what’s one more homophobe amongst so many.

They tried to refuse to carry out Civil Partnerships.

1. You have issues

24. We must avoid “knee-jerk” reactions just because somebody has a different view-point, or raises an opposing argument. This MP is honest and open about what he thinks and we must give him the credit of believing that he has thought long and hard about his stance on this matter. One can respect such a man!

1. One cannot respect an individual who believes that a law-abiding, taxpaying minority group does not deserve equal civil rights, simply because they are a member of that minority group.

There is zero valid opposition to same sex marriage.

If someone’s religion tells them that same sex marriage is wrong, then that person is entirely free not to marry someone of the same sex.

But this Stewart character thinks that his religious beliefs means that others be denied equal civil rights.

That is incredibly bigoted and sinister.

2. GulliverUK 5 Dec 2012, 4:30pm

The real problem is he hasn’t thought long and hard about it, and if he has — God help us all (no pun intended ! :D )

There’s nothing in the Bible which justified his position, in fact, he’s specifically told to keep his opinions to his fellow followers, and not to judge those outside the church. And judge not unless you are prepared to be judged (if anybody actually wrote that).

The Bible is a book with some historical content, although the accuracy is proven to be lacking, and many fables and tall tales, including unbelievable supernatural happenings – a bit like the fairy stories I read as a child. IF Jesus lives, what we read of his life cannot be relied upon, not anything else in either part of the Bible — hell, the Old Testament doesn’t even belong to Christians – that came much later.

Bob Stewart probably doesn’t approve of mixed-race couples either – racist and homophobic … probably. Best thing he could of done — keep his mouth shut…..

1. GulliverUK 5 Dec 2012, 4:34pm

…. unless he told people before the election that he was running as a Christian candidate and would be basing all his decisions on the flaky nonsense in a book written between 1500 BC and 800 AD, and which is being constantly tinkered with, and with each Christian denomination having a slightly different take on things.

There are lots of great people out there who believe in equality, full equality for all of us, and also happen to be Christian – the live and let livers.

3. He’s clearly not thought long and hard about the meaning of the word sacrament (see Peter’s post above).

25. Friendship is possible only between equals. People claiming friendship with other people whom they wish to deny legal rights that they themselves enjoy are odious hypocrites.

1. I think Bob needs to identify his so-called ‘gay friends’.

I suspect he that these friends are a figment of his imagination.

26. If this Tory bigot genuinely believes that marriage is a religious institution then I suppose he would have no objection to the removal of all legal recognition of religious marriages.

Does Bob Stewart support this?

Of course he doesn’t – because he is a hypocrite.

27. Quem se importa, certamente perderá seu assento a um Trabalho em 2015.

1. Unfortunately, this is about the safest seat in the country. So no chance of him being voted out.
      He’s my MP, and I’ve crossed swords with him before. I asked him a perfectly reasonable question on another matter and he went to the trouble of looking up my phone number, calling me and accusing me of insulting him!

1. GulliverUK 5 Dec 2012, 4:54pm

He misuses his position by the sound of it. We can only hope that he’s caught, in-action, on-tape, with several ladies (not his wife), and dressed in a gimp mask ! :D

2. GulliverUK 5 Dec 2012, 4:51pm

Assento mais seguro conservador na Inglaterra, aparentemente :(

3. Por que estamos falando Português? Estamos mostrando?

28. He’s got a head, face and smile so like a lego man.

29. “…and have great and true friends who are gay.”
    If I had a penny for each time somebody said this, I’d be a millionaire.

30. “To me marriage is a sacrament and, by definition, religion and tradition, a union between a man and a woman.”
    You are wrong. Marriage predates religion.
    “As such, I view marriage, whether organised simply by the state or a combination of church, temple, mosque and state, to be different to civil partnerships and special in a unique way.”
    Another one wanting some to be more equal than others
    But you don’t want them to be happy and think they are lesser people than straights.
    You ACCEPT them? How very gracious of you! You utter arrogant arse! Its the law of the land. It’s not up to you to accept it or not. How DARE you say such a thing. I do NOT accept you being an MP. Does that change anything

1. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Dec 2012, 7:37pm

He and his ilk can pretend they have great and true gay friends, but it doesn’t alter the fact that he’s a bigot. By friends he probably means fellow bigots such as Conor Burns who just happens to be gay and opposed to equal marriage. I challenge any of those true and great friends of his to step foward and declare his statement about them to be true. Of course none will because either they don’t exist.

31. He said “Personally I am not in the least homophobic and have great and true friends who are gay.”

LIAR!

And then he condescendingly says, “I accept civil partnerships now . . . ”

Oh, you deign to accept Civil Partnership, do you, Mr. Stewart? Thank you, Master. Thank you.

1. GulliverUK 5 Dec 2012, 5:37pm

What sort of a tit says “I am not in the least homophobic” — and it’s for others to judge that, not him. As for having friends who are gay, I suspect they simply tolerate him, much like we tolerate grandad’s racists comments, because they’re old and come from a time long-since gone.

Older people have the hardest time with change, as a percentage, and the hardest time with new ideas and ways of seeing things — they want to hold on to everything that was, fearing that they can’t change and will feel ill-at-ease and out-of-place in the new reality. But in the 2009 Time/Populus Gay Times survey older people who had a child or grandchildren who were gay, changed their opinions and did embrace equality and fairness. They can change when it’s important to them.

ps. There are lots of older people who DO cope with change, and are for equality, and do get it. Bob still doesn’t :(

2. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Dec 2012, 7:33pm

Except that “accept” doesn’t necessarily mean “supports” or even agrees with them. If those Tory bigots like him had their way, CPs wouldn’t even be legal. BIGOTRY, plain and simple. Equal marriage will happen and there’s nothing he can do about it. Ten years from now, assuming this hypocrite is still around, he’ll probably be saying the same thing, vehemently opposed to equal marriage but like everything else, he’ll say that he “has” to accept them, begrudingly so.

32. Unbelievable. Wen bigotry gets that bad that they have actually convinced themselves they have any ‘justification’ all for it, they’ve crossed the same line as the brainwashed masses in WWII Germany.

It’s like saying, I don’t agree with interracial marriage, but ‘I’m not racist.

I’m all for slavery but ‘I’m not racist’.

I don’t agree with immigrants but ‘I’m not xenophobic’.

I regularly speak out of my bigoted rear end, but ‘I’m not stupid’.

33. Mumbo Jumbo 5 Dec 2012, 7:26pm

And segregation wasn’t racist eh Bob?

34. Awww look at the poor deluded homophobe. Would be adorable if he wasn’t able to vote on peoples equality.

35. if you start a statement with “i’m not…” then chances are you ARE

36. Keith Farrell 5 Dec 2012, 8:59pm

And he says he is not homophobic, well thats true, he is just an Idiot, If he thinks Civil Partnerships give us equal rights then he is wrong. Civil Partnerships do not give us equal rights, nor are our relationships protected

37. Colin *M* 5 Dec 2012, 9:50pm

Heaven forbid we change the definition of marriage in order to protect the sanctity of Brittney Spears 55 hour marriage because that’s worth way more than a civil partnership regardless of how many years it lasts.

38. Jock S. Trap 6 Dec 2012, 12:20pm

Hypocrite. Mr Stewart is against Equality so therefore he Is homophobic.

39. “I will vote against same-sex marriage, but I’m not homophobic”

It’s panto season, isn’t it? All together now…