Gareth Southgate: Gay footballers ‘would be accepted’ in the dressing room

1. They’ve already got gay players in their dressing rooms! The same players busy fabricating stories about their straight sex lives to plant in the tabloids by their publicists!!

2. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Nov 2012, 1:43pm

If it’s good enough for the players, then it should be good enough for their fans. Are the fans really going to stop attending football matches because of it? I doubt it. It’s a good thing that Southgate has spoken up, well done.

1. That There Other David 30 Nov 2012, 2:36pm

As a football fan who attends matches I can tell you first hand that the fans don’t have a problem with gay people. Of course there are a few young idiots that will play up just as there is in the rest of life, but the vast majority couldn’t give a toss about whether someone’s gay or not. They’re there to watch a sport.

1. i simiarly attend professional football matches – have a season ticket – and fully endorse this view

2. I think that there is a significant number of football fans who see nothing wrong with abusing somebody because of their ethnic background or sexuality, I’m not saying it’s the majority of them but it’s enough to make life harder for an openly gay footballer unfortunately. You don’t see the same kind of mindless verbal abuse amongst rugby fans, at least not in my experience of attending games.

1. That There Other David 30 Nov 2012, 2:41pm

ALL football players get abuse from the crowd at some point. Any closeted gay player already gets abuse from the crowd. If he comes out that won’t change.

The players are hardened to it. It’s part of what they do, just as they also get the adoration when they do something spectacular.

1. Tribalism in sport is really obsolete male impulses from 100,000 years ago resurfacing in a modern era. I’ve attended games when with friends, I’m not a massive fan of team sports but I suppose it’s fun. But really what it proves to me is how little separates us from the other primate species, you could say the same about war, not that I’m saying that they’re completely the same of course.

1. That There Other David 30 Nov 2012, 3:29pm

If people shouting on the terraces allows them to deal with their aggressive ape tendencies and prevent war then I’m all for it.

I’ve even been known to let out the occasional swearword myself you know :oops:

2. Tribalism can be found in most aspects of society even today, often to a deplorable extent (even in the gay worlds). The most civilised people recognise this and do their best to keep it under control as much as possible.

3. The problem is the fans. While team mates may accept an out player, a lot of football fans are too moronic to accept an out player.

1. That There Other David 30 Nov 2012, 2:37pm

This doesn’t play out with my experience of being in those crowds. 15 years ago perhaps, but there’s been a big change in the past decade.

1. We’ll have to see, what we need is a high profile footballer to come out and then we can judge whether attitudes towards sexuality have changed or not.

2. I am sure that would change were a player to come out!

Brighton & Hove have complained to the FA on several occasions because of homophobic chanting aimed at players and fans.

1. That There Other David 30 Nov 2012, 4:23pm

As I posted earlier you get some mouthy young idiots who think they’re being clever, and the only thing that will change their behaviour is if they suddenly find themselves cheering on a gay player on their own team. However, the majority of football fans are normal people confident enough in their own sexuality to not care either way.

You get mouthy insecure young idiots in every walk of life, not just in football stadia. Some of you appear to have very strange ideas about football fans. We’re not a bunch of cavemen banging bones together.

1. I think you are correct (again) – too many comments are posted on here by folk who don’t have relavent experience

4. I’m sure the fans will make their feelings known on the terraces. There have been black players for decades now and they still get taunted with monkey noises. The beautiful game my arse.

1. Mumbo Jumbo 30 Nov 2012, 8:01pm

The beautiful arse my game.

5. Gay footballers and other gay athletes have been in locker rooms since the beginning of locker rooms, in fact gays have been made by God since he started making man.

6. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Nov 2012, 3:42pm

Actually, it is the players who should lead by example. It is they who should be telling the fans if they can’t deal with it, don’t come to watch. Stay home and watch it on t.v.

7. The FA is like a self regulating press…it does nothing.

8. so …nobody else offended by that language?
    Maybe it’s time to turn rampant homophobic language on its head. From tomorrow I think i’ll be accepting the presence of straight players in my favourite sporting teams. “after all, they are human beings too”

1. Maybe it was expressed clumsily (I did groan a little too), but I think it’s fairly obvious it was well-intentioned.

9. mickie_newton 2 Dec 2012, 11:58pm

Oh that’s sweet of them! Isn’t it sweet of them? Oh letting how wonderful they’re ready to let gay people into football and the changing rooms! I am sure we are ALL touched by this! *rolls eyes*