France: Parkinson sufferer awarded €200,000 after medicine turned him into gay sex addict

1. This, if truth, and the infamous “stroke turned me gay” story (if also true) would make for some interesting scientific research.

Sadly I doubt they’ll get the proper and rigorous study they need.

1. As Parkinson’s is a neurological disease and any drug attempting to alleviate or cure its symptoms would have to also include neurological stimulants/inhibitors it is not beyond the realm of logical thought that there might be other neurological side effects.

Hopefully, now the courts have determined causality, GSK might do further research, or just scrap the drug and start again!

2. No doubt the anti-gay lobby will conclude this as proof that the drug makes you gay, and ignore other possibilities such that the complainant had a suppressed sexuality that became exposed under medication, or that he was merely trying to excuse a ‘mid life crisis’ exploration of his sexuality.

Pursuing a handy pay-out for something notoriously difficult to prove whilst hugely embarrassing to GSK is hardly lacking in bias.

Correlation is not causation.

1. I heartily concur. Drugs can obviously affect a person’s inhibitions, but how on earth did he prove that he was “previously heterosexual” – ie without any homosexual feelings whatsoever?

1. Could have brought out a curiosity that was previously suppressed or at the back of his mind? It’s quite a strange one…

3. Sounds to me like that drug unleashed a few suppressed desires.

1. Thats exactly what I was thinking!

4. It’s fairly well established that sexuality is fluid, especially during puberty, but the majority of us have a definite preference for either men or women.

If you’ve got something as debilitating as Parkinson’s (and this is a relatively young man here) I doubt he’s going to use his condition (and/or any medication he’d been taking) as an excuse for some long-repressed bisexual tendencies.

Neurology is still in its infancy. Look at “foreign-language symndrome” where a head trauma can lead to someone speaking in a completely different accent. We cannot be certain what will happen when we start mucking about with neuro-meds. And if they lead to aberrant and distressing behavioural changes, I don’t blame the bloke for seeking compensation.

5. ‘Previously heterosexual’ – because of course, bisexuality is a myth.

6. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Nov 2012, 12:36pm

Perhaps it’s a result of repression that the drug has brought his true sexual orientation to the surface.

To digress, I do wish there were a drug to cure the religious nutters of their addiction, an addiction which seems to produce a craven obsession with polygamous and incestuous relationships as a result of a same-sex couple wanting to marry. Maybe Requip might have some positive benefit for that.

1. A drug to cure the religious nutters? Just try six pints of lager!!!!

2. Well, I’m going to digress here… but this story reminds me of a movie called, “Bitter Pill”. The main character, who isn’t happy being a gay guy decides to take part in a drug trial, which id successful would make him straight.

Perhaps we could pop a few of these pills in the tea pots of the, “morally conservative” and open up another point of view for them?

7. GingerlyColors 29 Nov 2012, 12:44pm

Maybe NICE should make that drug available on the NHS as a cure for repressed sexuality.
    Seriously though, if we are getting these stories about straight people suddenly turning gay because of strokes or drugs, then this could play right into the hands of the ‘Gay Cure’ brigade who will say that if you can make someone gay, then you can make gay people straight.

1. They’d still have to prove it first, which they have yet to do – despite their claims of multiple successes!

8. It’s funny that you never hear of previously homosexual individuals turning heterosexual due to some equally novel cause..

9. That There Other David 29 Nov 2012, 1:07pm

Makes you addicted to gay sex eh? Anyone know where I can get some of this for my partner :-D

10. Does this suggest that homosexuality is not necessarily a choice -that there is a physical chemical influence in sexuality? Nature v nurture debate?

And, following this line of thought, that in the future with drug developments, that a gay person could be “treated” with chemicals to “normalise” them (scary).

1. barriejohn 29 Nov 2012, 1:35pm

That’s what they’re implying here, but it’s not what’s happening, is it? The changes in his behaviour (exposing himself, promiscuity, etc) point to something entirely different. I don’t believe that these drugs “turned him gay”.

11. What utter Bollox – More like Closet case – self loathing man begins living after Parkinson diagnosis –

Nothing turns you Gay – You are born that way and society either condemns you into the closet or you grow a spine alive your life proud and strong

1. Miguel Sanchez 29 Nov 2012, 3:52pm

Well said DJ. I for one have a very hard time believing a medication can make a supposedly stright person into a hormone riddled gay person. The midication might have increased his libido but to “MAKE” him gay is utter bullox.

I bet he was Bi all along and he just decided to test the waters.

12. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Nov 2012, 1:39pm

Has anyone ever looked into what makes a straight person straight? I can just hear the remarks coming from the religious nutters…”it’s normal, God’s plan and intention so that the species can multiply”. So what about those straights who can’t, there are millions of them?

13. Even if this drug did ‘turn him gay’ – what’s the explanation for cross dressing? Not something gay people usually do (except for fun of course). Has this man suddenly become a drag queen & mimes to Shirley Bassey on a fridat night? I think not!

14. Sounds to me like the drug may have let loose what monsieur had previously managed to withhold!

15. Oh, dear. Late Capitalism being what it is, a highly profitable industry might be triggered by this. And the credulity of the court stretches, well, er, credulity.

16. How does imbibing in cross-dressing and exposing yourself on the internet classify you as gay?

I do neither, but I’m gay.

1. While I agree with the implied sentiment, I do hope you realise imbibing means ‘drinking.’

17. Jock S. Trap 29 Nov 2012, 2:28pm

Can’t see this at all. The ‘feelings’ surely wouldn’t have arisen unless he had tendancies in the first place.

Maybe we should all get compo for not being straight as there is no way it would happen in reverse.

1. Jock S. Trap 29 Nov 2012, 2:29pm

sorry meant if this case was in reverse.

18. Christopher in Canada 29 Nov 2012, 2:50pm

In my case, it’s a pre-exisiting condition, so if I were American, it wouldn’t be covered!!

19. The first paragraph should probably read….

A French court has upheld a compensation payment to a closeted bisexual man who became a sex addict after taking medication for Parkinsons.

20. I have a problem! Since I read this item, my left eyebrow has been permanently raised. There is nothing I can do to make it relax into its former position. I am now in a quandary….should I sue PinkNews who published or the journalist who wrote the article? Nope….I’ve decided…..I shall sue the Frenchman with the floating sexuality! He rich now!

21. Why is it so hard for you all to believe that a drug used to treat a neurological disease could have had such a negative effect on this poor man?

I’m sure we’ve all heard of the side-effects of LSD or Crystal Meth. Well imagine you were prescribed something like that, which you thought was going to alleviate your symptoms, but instead led you to do things you would never do were you not under the influence of the narcotic.

1. casparthegood 29 Nov 2012, 4:20pm

key words in your argument are “under the influence of narcotic” I think a lot of heterosexual blokes might be looking for a payout from breweries on that basis

2. I doubt people appreciate being told that being gay is a “negative effect” and we all recognise that this is a person deeply closeted so closeted in fact that they were even lying to themself.

3. Rudehamster 25 Jan 2013, 11:56am

When will people STOP using the word ‘narcotic’ to describe every drug? Narcotic comes from the Greek ‘narco’, which means ‘to numb’ / ‘I benumb’.
      It describes Opium, Morphine, Heroin and the related opitiates which induce sleep. The bloody idiots in America have since screwed it up by using narcotic to describe Cocaine, Crystal Meth, LSD and any other banned substance on their drug schedules. None of them correct or even mildy accurate. Since then, thanks to Hollywood & TV, the word narcotic has been misused terribly.
      In this case Kyle is using it to describe a prescribed medicine. Wrong again! Kyle, it’s a drug, or a medicine…or even a legally prescribed substance. Anything please ….but NOT a narcotic!
      *sigh*

22. It appears that the drug lower inhibitions and self-control which led him to do actions he had previously stopped himself from doing – even on a subconscious level. The fact that the drug company knew that this was a side effect and failed to warn people is the issue and why he was awarded so much money in other people this could have extremely dangerous consequences.

I doubt it made him gay it just made him not shun the sex he wanted to have because of the french social attitude to homosexuality.

23. There is no evidence here that any drug can change sexual orientation. Lowered inhibitions are a perfectly plausible explanation for what happened here. The writer’s use of the phrase “previously heterosexual” in this context is irresponsible.

24. I know a few guys who must be on this drug.

25. Maybe I should sue someone because when I was a child I was given Calpol and now I love gay sex.

26. Psychotropic drugs turned me gay but then the new ones the ex gay therapy, psychotherapist who is also a priest gave me, turned me straight, who do I sue and how much money can I get?

27. mickie_newton 2 Dec 2012, 11:47pm

As has been already said, to me it’s was something already there and this drug has just fetched it to the surface. I find this no more likely to turn you gay than having a stroke. Proving that you were heterosexual is difficult if you just never, like many gay people among us, just hid your sexuality. He wouldn’t be the first to hide it and leave the life of an apparent heterosexual.

28. One of the funniest things I’ve ever heard of. Not of him being raped but of claiming “I turned gay when I was on a drug.” Wow.