Anti-gay preacher Rick Warren: “It wouldn’t bother me if we found a gay gene”

1. Sometimes I get angry and I feel like punching Rick Warren in the nose. It doesn’t mean I act on it.

1. well you are a better man than me John – I would feel splendid after punching such a vile human being.

1. JD: I’m willing to hold him for you while you give him a going over.

1. Nah m8 the self loather may get excited by the male contact lol!

2. But he has disproved his own point. He only doesn’t act on those things which are antisocial and which would hurt others. His basic needs he has satisfied, and bestowed upon them the blessing of his god.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Nov 2012, 12:44pm

To think, President Obama had this religious bigot deliver the blessing at his inauguration in 2008. Let’s hope we don’t see a repeat performance in January 2013.

I don’t know why tv commentators would ask a religious nutter questions about sexuality since people like that are hardly qualified or authorised to make any meaningful statement and see things only through the distorted prism of religion. We already know what Warren’s response would be.

Now, British scientist, Dr. Simon LeVay’s research on the hypothalamus in gay men and women seems to point to genetics playing a role in sexual orientation. Those are the people Piers Morgan should be asking, not a religious bigot.

1. Lyuba Allenivna Marchenko 29 Nov 2012, 1:36pm

All presenters care about are the bloody ratings. They dont care about real journalism nor the truth or attempting to understand people. Conflict is their bread and butter.

2. Robert, you assume that Piers Morgan has the slightest interest in a sensible discussion of these issues. He clearly prefers to talk to controversial figures for the ratings.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Nov 2012, 6:49pm

Even so, I don’t think Piers Morgan supports anything Warren has to say and I certainly don’t think he’s homophobic either. It probably is for ratings but I don’t think Morgan’s decision to have him on was ill-intentioned.

4. Hilarious – We are supposed to listen to insights on biology and human sexuality from someone who believes in supernatural nonsense and fairy tales.

I literally could not care less about the assumed wishes of some spurious magical bloody bronze age desert hobgoblin. It is as relevant to the modern era people who read the future in the entrails of sacrificed goats.

5. Is this moron for real? He is comparing emotions and desires to being gay?!! You may not be able to comprehend this, but me being gay is NOT a feeling or desire. I just happen to BE GAY! Mr. Warren you may be a pastor of a mega church, but you sure have the IQ or an imbecile!

1. That would be almost certainly in line with the IQ of those in his congregation.

6. Rick Warren is not the brightest crayon in the box as this interview shows

1. Nor is Piers Morgan if he didn’t point out to the man that his arguments are non sensical.

7. “Sometimes I get angry and I feel like punching a guy in the nose. It doesn’t mean I act on it.”

I love these ignorant comparisons!

Because being gay is the same as wanting to PUNCH SOMEONE IN THE FACE.

*sigh*

1. For me, being gay isn’t a momentary thing. I guess that I’m doing it wrong.

8. I would be very bothered if there were a gene for wacky bigoted religion.
    It would mean it would be effectively impossible to get rid of. Yikes.
    But I hear what the man is saying. It is not your fault if you have an urge to worship invisible spirits who give you permission for all kinds of prejudice and discrimination, but for decency’s sake you really must resist it.

9. I think what gets to me the most is that for the longest time, anti-gay arguments hinged on the idea that being gay was a choice. Now that view is undeniably untrue, it’s suddenly a moot point!

1. Gene Touchet 29 Nov 2012, 2:53pm

Ol’ Rick isn’t denying the “natural” element of being gay. He just wouldn’t act on it if he had it. Hmmm. Sounds like a win for our side.

10. Garry Cassell 29 Nov 2012, 3:29pm

Even God would want to punched this proven dickhead….the dribble some people would listen to and give away their hard earned money to support a F*** like this..

11. He met his wife and presumably fell in love with her. He was able to marry her, marry the person he loved. Yet he is working to deny that right to others?

I know it’s a cliche, but we do not choose who we fall in love with. Life would be so much simpler if we could choose. We could just flick a switch and fall in love with anyone who felt the same way about us. If only.

12. There is a part of him that is a horse’s ass. If we could only find the gene.

13. douglas in canada 29 Nov 2012, 5:24pm

“Sometimes I — as you pointed out, sometimes I feel attracted to women who are not my wife. I don’t act on it,” Warren proclaimed.

It’s obvious that he doesn’t even know his own religion’s teachings. His bible says very clearly that “anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” matthew 5:28. There is no distinction between the thought and the action.

But true to form, religious idiots are exempt from following their own rules.

14. Pavlos Prince of Greece 29 Nov 2012, 5:28pm

And by whom was this interview with Mr. Rick Warren from South California? By Piers Morgan from England. And who is Mr. Morgan? Mr. Morgan is a devote Catholic and the best friend of another devote Catholic and another Rick, Mr. Rick Santorum from Pennsylvania. And what was a common action by two Ricks in 2008? Campaigning against gay marriage in California. Small Conservative world.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Nov 2012, 6:57pm

Pavlos, Piers Morgan may be a devout catholic but he’s pro equal marriage and once told Rick Santorum, a prominent American right wing catholic politician who was a canidate for the presidency that his views on the matter among other gay related issues are bordering on bigotry and that their church should adapt to the 21st century. Not all catholics are anti-gay or anti equal marriage, in fact the majority aren’t. Even Tony Blair, a catholic convert, supports equal marriage. Being catholic doesn’t automatically make one anti-gay, not that you might be inferring it.

1. Pavlos Prince of Greece 29 Nov 2012, 10:26pm

Nice. But fact is, that show of Mr. Morgan on CNN was a very best tribune for Mr. Santorum during all his campaign earlier this year. And absolutely gratis! (I hope)

15. “Sometimes I — as you pointed out, sometimes I feel attracted to Gods who are not my real. I don’t act on it,”

16. “Just because I have a feeling doesn’t make it right. Not everything supernatural is good for me.”

17. Well, the jury is not out on whether he’s a fat git. He’s a fat git.

18. There isn’t ‘a’ gene ‘for’ homosexuality for starters; and in any case, he is a creationist, so by definition neither accepts nor understands genetics.

19. A vile and ignorant human being! To compare someone’s innate sexual orientation to getting angry is absolutely absurd. Being gay is not just a fleeting feeling of attraction or emotion, it is who you are as a person.

1. I’m sure it wouldn’t bother him if they discovered a gay gene – for one simple reason. If scientists discovered this gene; discovered a way to perform some test in utero, that could tell if a child was going to be born gay; or developed advances in technology whereby they could eradicate this “gay gene” –

You’d better believe that the same jesus wheezers who are raving anti-abortion, anti-birth control, anti-embryonic stem cell research – would have NO problem justifying an abortion if the child being aborted was gay. They’d have NO problem with doctors “turning off” or “destroying” this “gay gene” if it meant there wouldn’t be gay people in this world anymore.

20. Warren forgets that not only do homosexuals have a same sex attraction, they also do not have a ‘opposite sex attraction’. So its not as simple as ignoring ‘desires’ to be with someone. Nor is it purely a sexual thing.
    Homosexuality is far more than where one would want to insert one’s genitals.

21. James Campbell 9 Dec 2013, 7:59pm

Oh dear, another intellectually challenged bigot talks genetics. In fact, the reference to genes has gone viral without the knowledge to really understand the subject. Genes are not the whole story and currently a gene wearing a t-shirt “I am gay” has not ben found. However, the brain structure analysis (most of it post mortem) has shown some differences in gay men and in transwomen (although the two are not necessarily homogenous). One area that is proving to be worth continuing research is pre-natal hormone levels. Whatever the cause it still remains that same sex attraction is NOT a choice and has little to do with post natal upbringing. (source – myself – PhD in Neuroscience).