London MP’s opposition to equal marriage branded ‘absolute disgrace’ by gay councillor

1. Just another Tory old boy who seems to thinks that equal marriage will have some kind of detrimental effect on society!

2. Roll on 2015

3. He can vote how he wants, within bounds he can say what he wants; and he is entitled to his opinion.

But it is still going to happen.

4. Bobbleobble 28 Nov 2012, 3:01pm

These idiots are allowed to get away with murder! The reporter should immediately have shot back asking what he meant by traditional marriage, where women lost property rights perhaps? Or when divorce was impossible to obtain without an act of Parliament or even impossible to obtain at all prior to the Reformation.

Also what changes to the structure is he suggesting? Straight people will get married in exactly the same way as before it’s just that gay and bisexual people will have the option of marrying someone of the same gender and transsexuals will not be forced to divorce and enter a civil partnership should they decide to maintain a relationship with their current spouse. What structural change is he expecting?

1. Of course everything you say us right. They don’t care about that. They’re angry because thef feel threatened and are full if hatred for anything that’s different from them. Hopefully in a few years opposition to equal marriage will seem as bizarre and horrible as slavery does now.

1. Sorry about the typos!

2. Carl Rowlands 28 Nov 2012, 5:57pm

Traditional marriage! Look at the Married Womens Property Act 1882 to find what marriage was about for some women. When the heterosexual community hold on to ‘marriage’ as a gold standard they tend to forget just how unequal women were within the arrangement. Women did not have independent taxation status until the early nineties. Previous to that the income of the wife was taxed as part of the husbands income. Marriage as a whole needs to be redefined and based on the joining of two equal partners!

5. Cardinal Capone 28 Nov 2012, 3:02pm

Gay people who want to marry each other are also supporters of traditional marriage. That’s why they want to extend it to gay people.

1. Not strictly true.

Many gay people (and straight people) are opposed to the institution of marriage, but want to make sure that all elements of society are allowed access it should they so feel like it.

1. He didn’t say All Gay people, he said “Gay people who want to marry each other..” This, I would imagine IS for the most part strictly true.

6. Beware the dinosaur that smiles.

7. It is a case of civil liberties, not 1950′s morals. If I can’t get equal rights and protection by the law, I can’t see why I should pay equal taxes.

1. That is bang on point ..well said.

2. That’s bang on…well said.

8. Who is Stefano Borella, and is there any reason we should care for his opinion?

1. Dan Filson 28 Nov 2012, 4:37pm

And the same of you. But whereas he is out and has no qualms about speaking out for gay rights, you hide behind a pseudonym and make trite comments such as you have just done here.

1. Quite right, Dan. I can only assume Jen misread the article

9. What is wrong with these people?

I’m pretty sure that the majority of PN readers are also in favour of “traditional marriage”: we simply see no reason to exclude same-sex couples from the arrangement.

Whatever, I suppose he’s as entitled to hold mistaken beliefs as I am. It won’t alter the outcome, anyway.

1. I am not in favour of ‘traditional marriage’ as I don’t believe wives are the property of their husbands.

but I’ll be damned if some extremist Tory bigot like Evennett tries to deny me access to the contract of civil marriage if I want to avail of it.

10. “I’m a strong supporter of traditional marriage and I won’t be voting for any changes in the structure”

Well I’m a strong supporter of equal rights and, as one of your constituents, I won’t be voting for you come election.

11. So what he’s saying is that “traditonal marriage” isn’t for people like us? Nice.

And I too would like to know what version of ‘traditional marriage’ he’s supporting. It just seems to be something anti-equality people say without formulating what they actually mean.

Does he mean Christian marriage? If so, he’d better get busy stopping all non-Christians from marrying. Or does he mean the one man, one woman version? If so, he’d better remind himself of the final bit of that phrase: one man, one woman *for life*. Now off you go and ban divorce, Mr Evennett…

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Nov 2012, 5:13pm

This moron, in fact all of them in opposition are incapable of distinguishing between civil and religious marriage. Civil marriage isn’t traditional which really redefined marriage to accommodate divorced people, many of whom are adulterers. Traditional marriage my arse. He’s just another Tory bigoted scum bag. I bet he’ll say he has gay friends to avoid being labelled homophobic.

He is obviously referring to Christian marriage because I don’t think he’s aware that traditional marriage in some islamic cultures means polygamous marriages, up to 4 at a time, biblical in fact. Polygamy of course is rife througought the old testament, the origin of “traditional” religious marriage. The Abrahamic cults redefined and changed the traditional structure and our government went a step further in the 19th century when it introduced civil marriage for divorced people, even infertile heterosexuals, devoid of any religious component and no mandate to procreate.

1. That There Other David 28 Nov 2012, 9:30pm

They can distinguish. They choose not to.

12. Malcolm Allan 28 Nov 2012, 4:36pm

We’re sick of straight (mostly) white men telling others their own perception of superiority is where they stick their tiny little weenies.
    Guess his idea of ‘traditional’ marriage, is male-dominated, rape-worthy, divorce, bullying, illegitimate kids, overpopulation?
    My marriage does NOT illegitimate kids, overpopulation, fear, hatred OR divorce.
    Right-wingers all over the world is mankind’s biggest problem.

13. Another one fearful of losing his seat in the general election!

14. I don’t disagree with Stefano, but he’s a Labour councillor, so his outrage might be in part exaggerated by the fact the MP is Conservative. I’d like to see a conservative councillor say the same, or maybe a labour councillor criticise a labour MP for being homophobic (as some are). For them I’m afraid were just another pawn in the battle.

15. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Nov 2012, 5:02pm

It’s always a bloody Tory voting “no” isn’t?

I can just hear what he has to say in-depth.

1. Traditional marriage is between one man and one woman.

2. Gay couples can’t procreate on their own.

3. A child needs a loving father and mother.

4. Civil Partnerships provide enough rights, so we should accept them as sufficient.

5. Religious denominations will be sued for refusing to marry a gay couple.

The litany is endless but so predictable.

For his information, “traditional” marriage isn’t civil marriage. Civil marriage redefined traditional marriage giving divorced heteros the right to remarry outside the church. The church even discriminates against them in doing so. No lawsuit has ensued against any church since civil marriage was invented. No gay couple would be bothered suing them, not even those who are religious.

He can’t even be honest and admit he doesn’t like gay people. Homophobia and bigotry for sure.

1. The Tory Party has an awful lot of extremist bigots within its ranks.

Never trust a Tory.

16. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Nov 2012, 5:15pm

I bet if the government wanted to replace all marriages with civil partnerships, he’d be among the first to protest and we all know why. So much for their posturing that CPs are equal or sufficient.

17. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Nov 2012, 5:22pm

That some in the Tory party support equal marriage is laudable, but…people like this still make the stigma stick…it’s still the nasty party and will never change.

18. Another homophobe, afraid of unspecified changes that gay people marrying might bring to marriage.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Nov 2012, 5:51pm

The only people it will affect directly are gay people, absolutely NOBODY else. I’d like him to prove how civil marriage has affected religious marriage which isn’t traditional of course.

19. A big part of the fight for Equality is to bring the bigots to the surface and then, flush them out of politics.

Thanks for the targeting info!

20. He is, like all of them, reassuring his core vote that he holds fast to the one true homophobic faith.
    That’s all it’s about. They know they are not actually going to stop equal marriage.

21. mickie_newton 3 Dec 2012, 12:02am

“I’ll be releasing a more in-depth statement when the bill is published.”

No no it’s ok…please don’t waist paper by writing this tosh up for all of us to read! I’ll be too busy to read it anyway campaigning against you idiots!

Just another conservative old fool trying to tell us how we should live our lives and deny us the right to be equal to everyone else!! Shame on you! Nothing like stabbing your community in the back!