Chris Bryant accuses Russian officials of ‘smears’ and of circulating underwear photo

1. Adam Abraham 23 Nov 2012, 5:42pm

To be honest, Mr Bryant shouldn’t get too upset. Unwittingly, CFR have published the photo and most people will only take from it the fact that Mr Bryant’s taste in pants leaves a little to be desired but that he’s carrying a decent sized package. Good for you, @chrisbryant! ;-)

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 23 Nov 2012, 9:34pm

Yup, a big cock makes up for everything.

1. Christopher in Canada 29 Nov 2012, 2:53pm

It helps…

2. Absolutely! What is the big deal? I saw the pic and was like ‘it looks a bit funny but he’s fit’. So he’s an MP with a picture of him wearing pants circulating on the Internet. I don’t think any less of him because of it, we are all human and most of us like to have a bit of fun with others who feel the same, and he’s no exception. Other MP’s have done much, much worse things like using taxpayers money to clean their duck ponds etc!

2. Another Hannah 23 Nov 2012, 5:56pm

Any decent intelligent citizen of a modern forward and advanced country will look down on the Russians for this. What a bunch of backwards narrow minded hicks. Perhaps they could start a twining campaign with Cambodia or the Southern red neck USA? Send in an anthrapologist to look at the backward Russian customs!

3. Well those pictures are in the public domain.

And they are embarrassing.

I’m sure the CFR had ill intention when they used them.

But really? Can anyone be surprised.

Chris Bryant would do well just to laugh it off. That picture will follow him around forever.

Sad. But true.

1. dAVID

The thing about embarrassment is that it is a way society has of trying to control people’s behaviour. Some of that control is fine, but some of it isn’t.

For very many years, a lot of people were embarrassed about being LGBT, or telling people they were LGBT. That’s the effect of centuries of religious programming about sex being evil, and homosexuality being deviant.

If we choose to rebel, we can stick two fingers up when people look down their noses at behaviour that is perfectly fine in reality, but that society chooses to stigmatise. People understandably often value their privacy: but if a semi-nude photo turns up in the papers, so what? It is our natural body, and it is natural for us to seek a sex life. Some people do it via affairs and prostitutes, and the media hardly bats an eyelid. Others do it via sexy photos on Gaydar. And why not: and why not even politicians?

1. Cardinal Capone 24 Nov 2012, 1:58am

Good points. And if they were swimming trunks instead of undies, no one would have thought anything of it.

But it’s a strange thing for an official sounding conservative organisation to do. Good that Rifkind has distanced himself.

1. Good point about the swimming trunks. I hadn’t thought about that. And I agree it is good Rifkind has distanced himself. I get the impression that most MPs regard the incident as an intrusion into Chris Bryant’s privacy, and not an occasion for moral judgment.

4. “…that charming, beautiful photo of me..”
    Absolutely right. He’s cute.

5. I’m glad to see he’s not letting it get too much to him – the hectoring has merely become self humour.

Kudos Russia… You continue to move backward – don’t forget to wave to us from the 19th century ;)

1. Cardinal Capone 24 Nov 2012, 1:59am

RasPutin is back.

6. Have I slipped into a parallel universe by mistake – the Conservative Party and the Rulers of Russia are now converging in mutual homophobia?

Yours truly
    ‘disgusted’
    (Tunbridge Wells LGBT Rights Association)

7. Serves him right posting lewd photos on a gay hook up site – he should have known better – as Nasty Nick once said “if you live by the sword you die by the sword “

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 23 Nov 2012, 9:33pm

Decent body but the face is like a butcher’s bin.

1. Dave North 23 Nov 2012, 9:49pm

Guffaw. I had a good laugh at that. Thanks..

2. Please don’t speak of Ms Lumley like that.

2. Yeah Speedos..

8. Would someone mind explaining to me how on earth the comment “He knows how to enjoy himself” could even remotely be construed as verging on homophobic in this context?

Would it be homophobic if a PN contributor posted a similar comment?

In fact I WILL say it:- any MP who posts a pic of himself in his tightie whities on a dating/cruise site most definitely knows how to enjoy himself.

There I said it, so sue me Mr Bryant!

1. It’s one rule for MPs and another rule for everyone else he’s an egomaniac like the rest of them unfortunately for him he had a seedy side which caught him out he just man up and accept people are going to refer to this incident it’s his own bloody fault !

1. Karl

Well, you can take your prudish and judgmental attitude towards sex, wherever it has come from, and shove it up your hairiest orifice.

What you refer to as a “seedy side” I would refer to as a healthy and uninhibited attitude towards nudity and sex, which I hope includes a willingness to indulge in exciting and safe horny exploration.

You refer to him as an egomaniac, but I have seen no evidence of this, and I have no axe to grind as a fairly right-wing Tory.

As for the incident being “his own bloody fault,” why shouldn’t he post a sexy picture of himself on the Internet? What harm has he done? Has he done more harm than an MP who has an affair and jilts his wife, or goes to visit prostitutes: behaviour that is unlikely to get such an enthusiastic and judgmental airing in the papers? I don’t think so. Gaydar is part of LGBT culture, and our culture has a lot to teach society about enjoying our bodies, not being ashamed of them, and pushing social sexual boundaries.

1. I m no prude dude – I m merely suggesting that if you post photos on a website that a main aim is to hook up for sex you should not keep moaning every time they resurface – its his own fault and he needs to put up with it. He doesn’t sound as proud as you of his gaydar antics or he would nt keep trying to distance himself from the photo all the time
          I suppose I m lucky to have settled down with a lovely boyfriend and no longer have to ” have to teach society about enjoying our bodies ” on Gaydar unlike some

1. So Karl, when you said, “unfortunately for him he had a seedy side which caught him out,” you weren’t making some kind of superior moral judgment?

And congratulations on settling down with your “lovely boyfriend.” But your patronising comment about people who use Gaydar sounds to me like tempting fate. Meeting the right person can involve a great deal of good luck, and although I sincerely wish you well with your relationship and wish you many more happy years of it, please don’t forget that, despite the proud self-satisfaction of having a wonderful partner, relationships can and so often do change and break down. Looking down on those less fortunate who don’t have a partner and meet people online, may be a little too close to tempting fate.

2. Karl, I am glad you aren’t a prude but why do you sound so much like one?

3. I ve done the whole gaydar thing and when you meet someone. I guess things change and you see it for what it is – its only my opinion but most guys on there are not interested in you as a person only for sex – there is nothing wrong with this at all – I m only saying if you are in the public eye maybe you should not post pictures of yourself in your Y fronts online if you don’t want everyone to see them
            It’s not a moral thing it’s just common sense – I m sure he’s a nice guy but he has to face the fact he made a mistake which will haunt him – gay or straight if you post pictures online they have a habit of resurfacing and embarrassing you – sorry if I seem to have offended anyone I wasn’t passing judgement on gaydar at all

4. Karl

We agree about the limitations of Gaydar. It is not a likely place to meet a partner.

But the point I was trying to make was that there is nothing morally wrong about advertising to meet someone online for sex; and that if society stigmatises people for doing that, and tries to make them feel embarrassed, then it shouldn’t.

For practical reasons, it may not have been a good idea for him to post the pic., being an MP. Firstly, his right to privacy has now been compromised, and secondly, it has become an unwelcome distraction from his work.

But there was a time when an MP being exposed as LGBT would have been regarded as something dreadfully embarrassing, and where people would have suggested he should have avoided this by remaining closeted or behaving with more discretion. Society has moved on.

And society should move on with regard to MPs and anyone posting a sexy pic online. If that is how they choose to pursue their sex lives, it is no-one else’s business at all.

2. Spanner1960 24 Nov 2012, 4:56pm

“Why shouldn’t he post a sexy picture of himself on the Internet? What harm has he done?”

Well you tell me.
          He is in the public eye, and if you don’t want to get caught literally with one’s trousers down, then you show a little discretion. It goes with the territory. The man is a balloon.

1. Spanner

I already did tell you. I have explained my position above.

The “showing a little discretion” used to apply (and still does to a great extent, given the apparently high number of closet LGBT MPs) to not telling anyone you are gay.

Don’t buy into the prudish post-Christian mindset, Spanner. We gay people will be compromising left, right and centre if that is our paradigm.

There is no harm with him being semi-clad (or naked for that matter) in a picture he posts on the Internet. It is prudish society that tries to imply there is something instrinsically wrong with it.

The problem is only a pragmatic one, in that the lack of public intelligence will stigmatise him in the same way it used to stigmatise people who disclosed their sexuality.

Pity you can’t rise above that.

2. It is really important that society protects the right of everyone, including MPs, to have privacy regarding their sex life. Sexuality is a very intimate sphere, and people should be able to pursue it without the fear of media exposure and ridicule.

What if he had posted the photo before he became an MP? Do you think there would have been any less excitement about ridiculing him for it? I doubt it. The fact that the media are permitted to regard any MP as fair game with regard to intrusion into their private sex life means many people will avoid public life because of the risk of invasion of their privacy regarding events in the past. We need the best people in public life, and not this kind of self-filtering.

LGBT people find it harder than the mainstream to meet partners, especially away from the cities. Only 5% or so of the people we meet are gay, and many of them are closeted. Internet meets are a welcome part of LGBT subculture. A right and privacy to be defended.

1. Spanner1960 24 Nov 2012, 4:58pm

Yeah yeah.
          That’s why the Levinson report as been going on for the last two years. Don’t be so bloody naive. If you are a public figure, people are going to be watching you; if you don’t like it, change your profession.

1. Spanner

What a sourpuss you are on this issue. Lighten up. It’s just a bit of semi-nudity.

There is more to people than their public roles, and if society were less screwed up, including sexually screwed-up, you would get more integrated individuals working in public office, rather than the cardboard executive presences who have left half their humanity and empathy at home.

Heaven help the gay people in public life until very recent times with people like you about. They were expected to live celibate lives, lie about their sexuality, and be ultra-discreet for the sake of not offending the precious public mores.

2. Spanner1960 27 Nov 2012, 2:20am

Do you really think I give a toss about this prat in his Calvins? It is not me making the judgemental media, and the general public that get given this reactionary dross.

Whatever you may say, the media can make or break a “celebrity”, so if you happen to be one of those, then you have to seen to be squeaky clean. I didn’t write the rules, that’s just the way the world turns.

9. Pavlos Prince of Greece 23 Nov 2012, 8:35pm

Russia is like second Vatican – just with gas, oil and nuclear weapon. Kreml as the strongest ally of Catholic Church in the battle for ‘traditional values’ and against gay rights. Yes, world has change indeed… Good by, Lenin! (And Sacharov too)

10. Suddenly Last Bummer 23 Nov 2012, 9:32pm

That photo wasn’t flattering or attractive first time round and I can’t imagine its improved with age.

1. Pavlos Prince of Greece 24 Nov 2012, 2:33pm

Not agree. Chris was and still is a very attractive guy.

11. The homophobic, corrupt Russian government, and anyone who supports them, are a bunch of low-lifes.

As for the sexy photo: can I suggest we pause for a moment and ask ourselves what is wrong with an MP posing in his undies on Gaydar?

Loads of politicians have affairs or see prostitutes, and hardly anyone bats an eyelid.

A gay politician posts a photo of himself in his undies, and some lowlifes try to make him into a figure of ridicule.

The gay subculture is different from the heterosexual mainstream. Meeting via Gaydar is part of that subculture for many people.

And the prudish attitude we have been programmed by Christianity to have towards sex makes a photo of a semi-naked politician into something worth ridiculing and being shocked about for some people. We should have a right to protection of privacy, but not be embarrassed or shocked about a published photo of a semi-naked body. Even a politician’s. Society needs to grow up.

1. Cardinal Capone 24 Nov 2012, 2:08am

I’m not sure why, but I just imagined Widdy in a similar situation, and how shocking it would seem. Or the Archbishop of Canterbury.

1. Shocking? I think I’d burn my bloody eyes out if I ever saw a picture of Anne Widdecombe in just her pants.

1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA xD

2. But a couple of years ago a photograph of Obama in swimming trunks had people gurgling with appreciation all over the world. Why the double standard? (Though I too would very much rather not see the ABC or – Heaven preserve us – Widdecombe in their bathers.)

3. Spanner1960 24 Nov 2012, 5:00pm

Pictures of Widdy in her knickers?
        I think a little bit of sick just came into my mouth.

2. Yes I agree. There are far more important things to be concerned about than a semi-naked photo. I personally have more of a problem with politicians justifying illegal wars, thereby condoning violence.

3. Spanner1960 27 Nov 2012, 2:29am

I agree, society does need to frow up.
      However, I wouldn’t hold my breath on that happening any time soon, (like the next 2000 years), so in the meantime, people should watch their backs.

And incidentally, on the matter of privacy, the man posted the pic himself on a public dating website. He has only himself to blame if it comes back and bites him in the arse.

12. PN, can you please try to avoid headlines with smear and underpants together, I was eating my breakfast.

1. Spanner1960 24 Nov 2012, 5:02pm

Well his career is already on the skids.

13. By getting upset, the Russians have won. The best defense is a good offense; visit a Gay pub, toss down a few pints. Contrary to your colleagues’ rumours, it will not make you Gay, but it could land you a few hundred friends you didn’t have the day before. (But try to keep your clothes on within the pub. We have standards, too.)

1. I agree, I think Bryant would’ve been much cleverer to have laughed it off.

14. Clearly the lesson to be learned from all of this is that MPs should be above parading their jangly bits in ill-fitting hand-me-downs.

And if they ARE going to do it, jolly well invest in a well-cut designer brief, hold the camera steady and remember to hold your paunch in for dear life!

15. Spanner1960 24 Nov 2012, 4:53pm

Politicians are in the public eye by default, so one has to keep one’s nose clean.

Waving pictures of one’s meat and 2 veg about on gay contact sites is not uncommon for most gay men, but he should be intelligent enough to realise how stupid it would be for a man in his position.

Personally, I can’t stand the man anyway.

1. So, Spanner, what about a man who did that BEFORE the opportunity arose for him to be selected as a parliamentary candidate?

Should he decide against standing, for fear his earlier minor indiscretion become public news?

Or should he say, “What the hell!” and brazen it out, because he has a lot to contribute, and doesn’t regard this as something that should impede his public life, being no more significant – and maybe far less – than having an affair, or visiting a prostitute: something not unknown among MPs that doesn’t seem to get in the way of their promotion.

We didn’t come to terms with being LGBT by unthinkingly buying into received ideas and concepts of propriety.

1. Spanner1960 27 Nov 2012, 2:23am

This has bugger all to do with being LGBT and you know it. Stop being so bloody precious about your sexuality.

Everyone has skeletons in their closets, nobody is perfect, but if you are in the public eye, you make damn sure they stay there.

16. Michael McCluney 24 Nov 2012, 7:54pm

i wanna see this pic, lol!

17. can you please post the picture ta

18. The supposed size of his package IS irrelevant. Even to him. As, apart from anything else, he’s a notoriously greedy ‘bottom’ (with a nipple fetish)!! Remember he described himself in his Gaydar profile 10 years ago as ‘VERRRY versatile’? Well, according to many graphic reports, things moved forward – or rather they moved behind – for the Labour party’s least favourite ginger windbag)… And good luck to him. Ginger bottoms everywhere deserve a role-model.

19. Patrick Mc Crossan 24 Nov 2012, 11:48pm

And people in public eye should only hold themselves to blame for what they do.

Bad picture serious mistake and if the scandal of owning a property and yet renting another at taxpayers expense a matter in public domain does not make Chris Bryant embassed and ashamed I doubt anything will.

Straigh or gay being on a website looking for sex in bad pants will haunt you forever and Chris Bryant and Chris Bryant alone put the picture on Gaydar so must expect the consequences.

A bad pants picture I can live with scamming us taxpayers a totally different matter.

20. Patrick Mc Crossan 24 Nov 2012, 11:51pm

The pic in his pants here on

21. That There Other David 25 Nov 2012, 8:46am

Just a reminder that anything that goes on the Internet never really disappears.

Well done to Malcolm Rifkind though. Even though I suspect this was the last straw in a number of incidents he disliked his resignation sends exactly the right message. If the group behaves like this they’ll end up as the Conservative No-Friends of Russia.

22. Surely the biggest lesson to be learned from this is don’t display pics of your jangly bits online in ill-fitting hand-me-downs whilst bearing a bit of a paunch.

As a supposedly upstanding Member of Parliament, that in itself was a major error of judgement on Mr Bryant’s part, let alone his brazen decision to be do reckless in the first place.

Oh, and don’t trust anyone who smiles with their mouth whilst their eyes are simultaneously sneering.

1. …indeed sneering in a “something of the night” manner, as Ann Widdecombe would be wont to say…

23. Russian told the truth about an idiotic MP…

24. What amuses me most, is that someone from that CFR group actually kept a copy of that picture.