Source: David Cameron to introduce equal marriage legislation within weeks

1. I’d call that a very optimistic use of the term ‘fast-track’, but I suppose I shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

2. Craig Denney 22 Nov 2012, 12:52am

That women bishop vote has changed everything, now the right wing Church has not got a leg to stand on.

Lord Carey is going to get his comeuppance soon.

3. So all of those homophobic bigots are not going to vote Conservative! So if they all vote for UKIP and the BNP etc., that will mean one of the biggest Labor landslides in British history! First past the post will ensure a massive left of centre majority.

1. Sounds good to me!

2. If the Tories introduce SSM quickly (ie at least a year or so before the next election) then I doubt anyone will ever remember that SSM was ever an issue. The only ones that will remember is us guys. SSM isn’t an election issue, it’s the economy that’s going to make or kill the Tories at the next election.

1. That There Other David 22 Nov 2012, 9:53am

Indeed, and that’s exactly why they’re going to fast track it. Get it out of the debate long before 2015 campaigning starts.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Nov 2012, 12:29pm

No matter which country, it’s almost always the economy. SSM is just a red herring for the bigots in opposition. I would assume that now that the PM is going to fast-track it, there are obviously the votes there to see it pass safely. Let’s hope that’s the case.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Nov 2012, 12:58pm

And of course, the opposition will have a lot of explaining to do as to why all those ludicrous statements they’ve made haven’t come to fruition. I wonder who they’ll be able to hate next after equal marriage is legal? Oh I forgot, nothing will have changed and they will continue denigrating our lives with impunity and blaming us for every social disruption throughout the UK, those pesky gays at it again. Won’t it be sweet revenge though after it passes? We will be able to point fingers and laugh out loud at them while gloating in our victory and their utter defeat. It will diminish their reason for existence.

A message to CI/C4M……Karma can be a bitch!

4. I’ve got a lousy memory – But I think I vaguely recall a story a while ago about a Labour MP setting up a 10 minute bill for the end of October that would have forced the issue (and shifted momentum away from Cameron’s Lady Bountiful act).

Nothing came of it, and I wonder if there was some horse-trading.

One thing I do know, while the newspapers get all in a fluster over it, look deeper to see what odious legislation or policy the ConDems try to sneak under the radar thanks to the inevitable smokescreen of an anti-LGBT furore.

1. Craig Denney 22 Nov 2012, 1:05am

Yeah, like scrapping Equality Impact Assessments!

2. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Nov 2012, 12:51pm

Correct, Valsky. It was Labour MP Chris Bryant who was going to introduce a 10-minute bill on October 30, 2012. I wonder what happened? Maybe Cameron took his cue from that knowing just how important it is to get this over and done with. I’m sure Cameron has realised that France is pushing ahead of us in spite of the fierce opposition from the usual suspects, identical to those of our own. Either way, it’s good news and a step closer to equal marriage.

5. Pavlos Prince of Greece 22 Nov 2012, 1:35am

Same-sex marriage will be in the next Queens speech… Well, finally! My condolences for Daily Mail, The Telegraph and all Cardinals in the UK. Good! (But its just begin)

6. Interesting to see the Christian Institute website hasn’t yet reported the women bishops vote. They don’t know how to report the story without a real danger of losing support or funding..

1. The CI web site is akin to the ‘news’ web site for North Korea: only items that can be spun in the manner approved of by the regime ever make it to print.

And they assume their readers are too dumb to notice. Which, in the majority of cases, is correct. :)

1. Which is why there is no option to comment on any of the CI’s propaganda “news” articles.

1. Cardinal Capone 22 Nov 2012, 12:02pm

There is on their Facebook site.

2. It features on their other site, “Christian Concern” with the hell hag, Andrea Minichiello Williams, proselytising as per usual.

7. Absolutely Fantastic!

The Independant is saying ” ministers will now find time in the Commons timetable in the new year to hold a free vote on the move. “…”paving the way for the legislation to reach the statute book by the end of 2013″

Can’t believe it…My instant reaction though was that I’d believe it when I atually saw it!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Nov 2012, 12:44pm

I was under the impression both Labour and Liberal Democrats would be having a whipped vote, a change from the previous position of a free vote. I believe it’s only the Tory Party going that route. Great news though, well done, Prime Minister.

8. Craig Nelson 22 Nov 2012, 2:08am

If they don’t just get on and do it they’ll quite simply run out of time.

1. The Tory party will also take a battering from all sides , pro and anti, if they drag this out to the next election!

They’ve dragged it out for over a yr since Cameron came out in favour of it , and then the consultation was delayed and delayed. If I was Cameron and the Tory party I’d want to stop the abuse and insults as soon as possible and get the law passed quickly. I suspect it’s going to get nastier and nastier and will only ease up after the law has passed.

9. GingerlyColors 22 Nov 2012, 6:45am

Same-sex marriage ‘within weeks’? David Cameron has better get a move on if he is to introduce marriage equality, a week in politics is a long time and the more this government dithers over the issue the more the people are going to tire of what they see as a ‘minority issue’ when there are other important things this government needs to be getting on with such as Europe and getting the economy back on track. Should this government introduce marriage equality by the spring then there will still be two years to go before they have to call the next election and I will have no doubt that the electorate would have warmed to the idea of gays marrying by then.

1. “By then”?

EVERY polling company but anti-gay sponsored ResCom says that the electorate are ALREADY warm to it. They should be absolutely boiling for it by the end of 2013. Particularly when they get their craw full of the misogynistic and homophobic antics and rantings of the CofE and Catholic Churches!

2. Top tip: learn more about the legislative process. They ain’t dithering.

10. Jock S. Trap 22 Nov 2012, 7:36am

Coming from the Daily Mail I suspect they are trying to sensationalise for a angry response… However we can but hope it has some truth in it!!

1. Coming from The Daily Mail I imagine they are trying to whip up some more anti-gay hysteria, Cameron already said he would announce plans for marriage equality before Christmas so there is no news here.

11. It won’t be equal unless both marriage and civil partnership are available to all and on an equal footing.

1. That There Other David 22 Nov 2012, 9:56am

I can’t see the point of keeping civil partnerships at all once this is done and dusted. The only reason for doing so is to continue the legal recognition of Irish CPs in British law, and the way things are moving towards equal marriage across the Irish Sea that’s going to be a short-lived issue.

1. I don’t think you need to do that. A couple of years ago I helped translate a lengthy article on same sex union options in Europe from Polish to English and mainly it said that the legal standpoint for most countries that operate same sex unions is that if you’re in one type of union and move to another country where there haven’t got that type, but they do have an equivalent, then you’re considered as having the equivalent. Which is a bit sh1t if you move somewhere and get downgraded, like moving here from the Netherlands for instance.

1. That There Other David 22 Nov 2012, 6:24pm

Sadly it doesn’t work in the opposite direction. UK CPs are not recognised in countries that have full marriage equality. It’s one practical example of why they aren’t good enough.

2. Presumably, civil partnerships will wither on the vine once civil marriage is introduced and civil partnerships are converted into civil marriage.

I think it is better to have just three marital status boxes on forms, etc. For example, single, married, or divorced.

1. I hope that I can change my civil partnership into civil marriage under grandfather rights. Or if there is a fee, it is minimal

3. You assume that marriage isn’t, by its nature, an act of civil law. The rituals attached to it are (and always have been) legally meaningless and only of relevance to the participants. So civil partnership already exists – its called marriage.

12. Most people don’t mind either way, so if they are going to do it, they should just get on with it and not waste any more time on it.
    I can’t say I agree with him about the stability bit-it doesn’t seem to work with heterosexuals-but, nevertheless, just get on with it and move onto other more important things.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Nov 2012, 12:41pm

Since you disagree with the PM rearding the ‘stability bit’, obviously you know something that nobody else does. There are eleven countries with equal marriage. Can you point to any of them and provide us with the evidence on just how unstable it has made them and how such instabilities have been manifested? I’ve written to Colin Hart of C4M and the Christian Institute months ago, absolutely NO response of course. They haven’t been able to back-up any of their negative rhetoric with facts. So perhaps you could enlighten us

1. I think you misunderstand me here; I mean that marriage doesn’t seem to make heterosexual relationships stable, so I doubt that it will work for homosexual people in reinforcing relationship stability, either. Do you?
        But, then again, it will equalise things legally and I’ve no objection to it, just a bit cynical about just how making people married makes them stable what with the very high divorce rate.

13. Sister Mary Clarence 22 Nov 2012, 9:41am

I wish Pink News would stop furthering the mis-information about the Comres poll. It was a poll amongst hard like Christians (those being interviewed on the basis that they hold very strong Christian beliefs.

They are a tiny minority and the polling database has been set up on the basis that they are a small minority whose views are not often heard elsewhere.

They mean nothing in the wider world.

What I really can’t understand is what Comres is allowing to be done to its professional reputation. When all the debate about equal marriage is over people will look back at their work on these polls and look at the level of error. They can clarify the very specific sample base they used then, but I would have thought much of the damage to their reputation would be done by then.

The guy who is in charge might be happy with that but what about the people employed there? No work, no job. I wonder what they feel about being driven towards a precipice.

1. The ComRes polls are plainly commissioned propaganda.

14. Peter & Michael 22 Nov 2012, 10:00am

We have written to our Conservative MP in Cheshire asking him to vote yes for same-sex marriage and for a church wishing to officiate, this should be allowed, by recent correspondence from him, we believe he will support us in this vote. So, please write to your MP and ask for their support.

1. barrygrant1980 23 Nov 2012, 1:42pm

I wrote to mine and got a flat response that she doesn’t agree with equal marriage and will be voting against it.

Nice person my Conservative MP!

15. Daily Mail readers are now in an out and out panic!

Get this moving Mr Prime Minister and the sooner the better.

I also hope that you discipline those who vote against the party too.

1. You wish… He can’t discipline himself on what he calls “matters of conscience”, let alone discipline others. His homophobic friends have been dancing and partying all over him for a long time, and he doesn’t bat an eyelid.

16. Excellent news! (although like someone said above, I won’t quite believe it until I see it).

There’s no point in delaying whatsoever. It only allows the anti brigade to spread more lies, and worry more people who would otherwise have not been that bothered.

“get it done and get it done quickly”

Yes, please!

17. The Department for Culture, Media and Sport, which holds the equalities brief, told The Huffington Post UK that reports about the timetable for any legislation were just “speculation”.

“We have been clear that we will publish the government’s response to the consultation on equal civil marriage before Christmas,” a spokesperson said.

“We will set out then how we will proceed, and it is premature to discuss the timetable of a Bill before that. This is an emotive issue and will be thoroughly discussed in both Houses of Parliament.”

18. “The prime minister and the deputy prime minister have agreed to get on with it”

Is it just me, or can this article be read as just one long innuendo?

Congrats to the happy couple! :-D

19. Paul in Brighton 22 Nov 2012, 12:09pm

Is this the way we really want to find out – A Senior Source conflabbing with the lot at the Daily Mail?

Let’s not be too self-congratulatory, or for a minute think that Cardinal O Brien’s war won and over, and now onto the next battle..

No. pause for a moment and think is this that any Government who promises equality should behave?

Where’s Cameron this today, and what’s he saying? Where’s Clegg? What’s he saying?

I’m sorry, but I don’t think this is good enough.

A careful leak from the government to the Daily Mail to test the water, or a real committement to introduce equality?

Time will tell.

1. Paul in Brighton 22 Nov 2012, 12:12pm

Gosh, I really should read what I post before I post it…

What I’m saying is this isn’t the way a Government should behave.

And, Cardinal O Brien’s War on us, is far from won, and far from over.

Too early to lower those drawbridges, in my view.

The war is still on.

2. At the moment, he is too busy trying to stop the hemorrhage of his eurosceptic voters to UKIP and BNP. Of course very soon he’ll be making lots of statements about us. We are very popular among those same voters.

20. I have just emailed Comres to ask why a supposedly respected polling organisation allows itself to be used by the Christian Institute by asking loaded questions.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Nov 2012, 3:04pm

Why bother? Comres is run by catholics.

1. Quite. And they will find what they want to find.

21. One thing I always say, you should never believe what you read in the newspapers.

This is speculation, there is no official conformation that it will be introduced.

Mr Cameron is panicking, because the consultation contains more against the for homosexual marriage.

22. mickie_newton 22 Nov 2012, 11:55pm

Well feeling a little more confident than I did before…But I shall wait until I hear it from the horses mouth as this has come from Mail Online. A paper that is almost as bad as The Sun!

1. True that – the Mail is about as accurate in its reporting as the Guardian (except when reporting which female C-list celeb was wearing a revealing top to some media bash, where I’d have to admit the Mail has the edge!)

23. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 23 Nov 2012, 2:06am

I want to see a “Civil Marriage Equality, Civil Partnerships And Other Legislation Bill 2012″ being introduced straight-away to the House of Commons as proof he is getting on with civil marriage equality job he promised and elected to do as Prime Minister! Also in the legislation we need to convert all the current civil partnerships into civil marriage! And have a religious freedom clause so churches are not forced to conduct same-sex marriage! Same sex marriage is long overdue in France, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Australia. In Australia where I was born, currently live and work I am still stunned and very embrarassed that our prime minister is dead against it (even when about 66% of Aussies in polls shown time and time again for 2 years running SUPPORT equal marriage) – even when NZ prime minister, the UK prime minister, French President and the US president are all FOR marriage equality? What is up with the Australian Prime minister being dead against it – what is up her butt!

24. denisebloomfiel 25 Nov 2012, 4:57pm

I feel that females should be ordaned into the “Church of England ” hope ive got this correct, as when we went to Sunday School as children there was always women to look after the girls and boys.It is not acceptable to have men only in the “Church of England or any Country ” to have men only in the Church that “Our Lord built and welcomed all even ” Mary Magdalene ” its about time the churches opened their doors and welcomed the “Youth ” of today instead of being dictactors like a certain person was in 1939, and before that xWelcome a new religion so families can celebrate without being told off xx