Video: Russell Brand meets the ‘God Hates Fags’ church who brand him a Fag Pimp

1. I am surprised that he even gave them any air time.

He was also too lenient on them when he could have run rings round them.

1. True, but you only have to let them open their mouths very briefly to demonstrate how utterly devoid of sense they are!

1. I reckon everyone who has two braincells to rub together already knows how devoid of sense WBC are.
        Mind you I did like the doublethink of “God loves you/ we love you and that’s why we’re warning you that God will send you to a place of eternal torture if you do anything the doesn’t approve of” it brought to mind this George Carlin routine
        But overall I don’t see much point in Brand giving these wingnuts airtime… if they cared what anyone thought of them they would have packed it in years ago. Now they just do it for the publicity and lawsuits.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 20 Nov 2012, 11:54am

Makes me laugh. The Westboro hate group are barred from entering the UK because of hate speech incompatible for the common good of the country, yet religious nutters in the UK spreading lies about equal marriage, often very hateful, disgusting rhetoric are given a free pass and nobody dares to counter it for fear of being accused of being anti-religion, abusive of freedom of religion and speech and then Nick Clegg is forced to issue an apology for something (bigots) that he didn’t actually say. Double standards only apply if one is religious. About time that stopped. If they can dole it out unabated, then so can we.

1. Well said, yet it’s the “homosexual lobby” who are “the real bullies”!

1. That statement is meant to be ironic!

3. If these guys had read their Bible, they’d have known God hasn’t hated anyone since the Old Testament.

1. Brand was right, the book was written by mans hand, not by gods and has been translated so many times its like chinese whispers now.

1. Quite apart from that, there’s other rules in there that these guys don’t keep to, either. Things about not eating shell fish and not wearing clothing made out of more than one fibre…

2. I certainly agree with your comment. Most people don’t realize that the bible wasn’t written down for centuries. It was in fact past down from generation to generation through story telling (oral tradition). I’m sure over the years that much of those stories have been changed and altered according to the story teller/priest.

4. The bomber-jacketed one has the typical look of a thuggish right-winger and he was easily riled to aggression.

I agree with Darren, he was too lenient on them – he used some powerful arguments, and was very articulate (scripted?), but I guess also he’s in it for the entertainment value of taking the piss out of two virulent homophobes and had to lead them into making fools of themselves? Paxman he is not.

1. Are you my stalker? LOL

But yes, they are both thugs really hiding behind religion

1. PantoHorse 20 Nov 2012, 3:06pm

Oops, LOL *blush*

1. Reveal yourself ;-)

5. Being called a “fag pimp” sounds cool to me

1. casparthegood 20 Nov 2012, 1:14pm

Tobacconist?

1. Spanner1960 20 Nov 2012, 6:20pm

I think they take your usual brand of Lambert & Butler, rewrap them with quality paper and present them in custom made cigarette cases with flared arches and blacked-out windows.

Coming soon to “Men & Motors” : Pimp my Ciggy

6. David Josef 20 Nov 2012, 12:31pm

I am not a Russel Brand fan at all – but he made the interview stupid, a joke even – very clever, what he did. Just allowed them to make their usually shallow statement, with their interpretation of what God wants – if indeed God exists.

Would be interested to know if the Westboro Baptist lot were paid any money for appearing.

Makes my blood boil when I hear of this group, the family all have jutted chins resembling their father & grandfather is it Fred Phelps?

Surely the only way this church can grow is when they all start having kids with each other! (or are they already?)

7. Cardinal Capone 20 Nov 2012, 12:48pm

Given the size of the WBC couple, they ignore the Bible when it comes to gluttony.

1. …not to mention wrath, avarice (check out the WBC record for suing local authorities) and ‘don’t pass judgement on others or you may be judged yourself’.
      But then their god is a ‘do as I say, don’t do as I do’ kind of tyrant, so that’s not really all that surprising.

8. GingerlyColors 20 Nov 2012, 12:49pm

The Westboro Baptist Church are so warped that they even ended up hating those who are traditional enemies our ours such as the Catholic Church, Islam, the Ku Klux Klan, etc. Just notice the domain name on that t-shirt, Priests Rape Boys.com which is targeted at the Catholic Church. The WBC are so sad and evil that they are without a friend in the world.

9. Russell Brand is not the most articulate debater to take on bigots like these, but, my goodness, Russell Brand is a truly BRAVE person! It really takes guts to place yourself in a situation like that.

1. Cardinal Capone 20 Nov 2012, 5:22pm

I think he was articulate, he just puts on a dumb act and keeps the heat down.

10. Christopher in Canada 20 Nov 2012, 2:18pm

Wow. Such brainwashing. How can these two be proud of themselves? All they are admitting to is the fact that they have shut down a huge part of their own brains.

1. Brains? What brains? One cannot use what one dioes not have.

11. My respect for Russell Brand just went up by a mile. Way to go for tackling such an issue head on.

The irony with these guys is the same as Nick Griffin from the BNP… the more air time you give them the bigger the hole they dig for themselves.

12. WHY IS THE MEDIA STILL GIVING THESE HEATHENS PUBLICITY ?????????

13. yuck, what two vile human beings – no need to water board anyone just sent them to the WBC.

CALLING A GAY MAN A FIFLTY PERVERT _ look in the mirror Steve your the filth.

lee

14. Hilarious!

15. I’m sure the two Westboro church “thugs” have already done each other. LOL

16. Violent homophobia is the result of self-hatred. It is somply ‘projection’. These tosspots should take a long, hard look at their OWN sexuality. People who are secure in their sexuality are not homophobic and to use the bible to juistify their own bigotry is vile. If god (should he or her exist) hates anyone, surely it is the haters of this world?

17. These people are so ignorant and full of hate. I suppose giving them a forum to embarass themselves in public is one way to deal with them. I would love for them to be forced to debate an academic theologigan who would make mincemeat out of their arguments.

18. Look at how the crazy wbc guy tells Brand that he has no power, what a bunch of bull, brand has more power than those nut jobs. Here is another nut job http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981765707

19. Russel just let them hang themsleves; he’s a VERY clever man, he did not let them ‘get away’ with anything…

20. The People of the Wesboro Church are below contempt. They are sick and should be ‘Shuned’ from the rest of America. They do not stand for what America is about. Keep away from them and do not speak to them. Let them know what it’s like to be alone in a world of people who love.

21. I really dislike Brand’s ‘brand’ of comedy, but he’s got some brownie points from me for this.

If he’d had sacha baron cohen on as well, they could have given the two wbc morons a double whammy.,

22. Dont take it personally but these idiots dont actually like ANYBODY full stop…

23. Why is still family STILL being reported on and interviewed.

Russell Brand and Pink News are giving them the oxygen of publicity they need to survive.

Why?

1. Agreed. WBC are attention whores; ignore them and they will go away. feed them and they will come back. Like rodents really.

24. Never liked Russell Brand before but I must admit he is hilarious in this interview. Some simple but clever lines, he made the wbc out to be the idiots they are. At times they were even laughing at their own stupidity.

25. friday jones 20 Nov 2012, 11:06pm

If Jesus showed up, how much you want to bet that these guys would show vast disrespect to Jesus for being a bit of a hippie and for washing his male companions’ feet? They look and act a lot more like the Roman soldiery who are said to have nailed Jesus up than they do Jesus.

26. mickie_newton 21 Nov 2012, 12:09am

I think Russell gave them just enough rope to hang themselves without it getting out of control! He didn’t need to be abusive towards them and sit waving the rainbow flag in their faces. They showed their true colours on prime-time TV.

I think I may have fetched a couple of lesbians too to see if they view them in the same way.

And although I am Pagan, I am VERY sure that it doesn’t mention homosexuality in the 10 commandments!…Or have I missed something….

Anyway, as a Pagan I don’t believe in hell, so I’ll be fine…But I’ll take a fire extinguisher with me just in case! :P

27. I find it almost endearing that beardy bigot is trying so hard to be grown up about it, while baldy bigot is clearly just a thug.