US: Anti-gay campaign group NOM sees financial donations plunge

1. I hate to be a naysayer, but isn’t this just because it was election year, so all the bigots who’d usually give their money to NOM gave it to Romney instead?

I’m hope I’m just being overly cynical, though.

1. I hope that isn’t the case.

2. billywingartenson 21 Nov 2012, 5:50am

I’m sure that the contribs will largely dry up now that 4 o 4 gay marriage bills passed in the USA.

Expect these clowns to now go to Europe to ply their trade of hating.

I’m proud that I was one of a number of bloggers who discovered that NOM which was first run by a maggie Gallagher – well that uknow what supported traditional marriage by having not one but two illegitimate kids.

NOM is so desperate that she’s beginning to surface – like a trial balloon.

BTW the catholic church in I think 2011 was a major contrib to NOM, about 2.2 million US $. Meanwhile they had to clsoe catholic schools, which of course was actually a good thing re less brainwashing.

2. Most of the supporters of NOM are Christians. Why don’t they just pray for the finance that they require?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 20 Nov 2012, 12:19pm

They’re not really christians. Hatred, discrimination, spreading malicious, mendacious information about gay people has nothing to do with christianity. NOM is a business first and foremost. Without money, they can’t succeed. Its the much needed oxygen it needs to stay alive. in this case, money is the route of all evil, biblical in fact. Ironic isn’t it?

Similarly, it’s sister hate group in the UK, Christian Institute/C4M couldn’t survive without vast sums of money to buoy their bigoted agenda.

1. I hate to be a stick in the mud, but it is the love of money that is route of all evil – please ensure things are right before you start saying things are facts – you will start to sound like the tos3rs from NOM

1. Robert in S. Kensington 20 Nov 2012, 3:30pm

Aside from your nit-picking, the fact they they rely on money and earning high salaries to promote hate is implicit in their love of money. They wouldn’t last one minute without it.

1. billywingartenson 21 Nov 2012, 5:53am

BBTW i’ve seen that maggie Gallagher of NOm, past wh0r president (see my post above) was getting 30% of the gross take of NOM

As usual the hatred is also a means to another end – more money to feed into the hopper of hatred.

2. All the negative traits you mention are as much a part and parcel of Christianity as anything else, and always have been. It is a complex and incoherent religion. That is why it survives.

3. GingerlyColors 20 Nov 2012, 12:30pm

No doubt they will blame the economic downturn and people not donating so much for their causes because they have less disposable income rather than the fact that people are warming to the idea of same sex marriages.

4. Breaks your heart really. I’m going to cry all the way to the Registry Office. Do you suppose they have lots of paper hankies?

5. You must follow the money you get to the truth of these filthy organisations.

6. God works in mysterious ways ….

1. He’s probably shaking his head in shame at how closed mined some people are.

7. “According to a document seen by HRC, just two individual donors were responsible for 75% of the group’s funding. Each contributor gave an estimated $2.4 million (£1.5 million).”

Does it name these two donors?

1. David Myers 22 Nov 2012, 9:03am

Anyone want to bet on the Koch brothers?

8. £1.5 million x 2 that’s a lot food for the starving and the homeless… But no, let’s not do anything so ‘Christian’ with it. Lets spread some hate against a minority. Priceless.

9. Good riddance best news iv heard in a long time. Lets hope it decreases again next year :D

(gosh i sound really catty :o )

10. I LOVE that they spent so much money and LOST!!!

11. Merseymike 21 Nov 2012, 3:14pm

Interesting. I wonder if its the corporate donations drying up?

12. Cardinal Capone 27 Nov 2012, 3:55pm

The Ruth Institute woman does not understand why so many people dislike her video. On their FB page she says:
    “A friend wrote this about my Thanksgiving video, trying to explain the large number of dislikes for this innocent little video about a young friend who was an RA, being pressured by her gay head RA to participate in an event that made her uncomfortable: ” I don’t like that situation at all. I think it’s horrible. I do, however, like that fact that you’ve spoken out about it and told people. I think people may have been confused as to whether “liking” the video meant liking the situation, and “disliking” it meant they don’t like the situation. I’m just not sure, and the description doesn’t really say what the vote means.” Maybe that is the explanation”

I think not. A bit of self delusion there, perhaps?

1. Cardinal Capone 27 Nov 2012, 4:06pm