Comment: Lobby Maria Miller so we can have full marriage equality

1. Jock S. Trap 15 Nov 2012, 3:00pm

Here we go again… All or Nothing.

Sorry but this isn’t the world Tatchell pretends we live in. We all know that sadly marriage equality will come in steps and when any chance of marriage equality on the horizon, I happily will settle for that, then campaign for the rest.

I don’t see the point in forcing the Homophobic religious into this nor the civil partnership deal. This is about Getting the Marriage Equality Bill through the door not setting a frustrating length of time, encouraging the bullying bigots to harrass us more.

We know this Bill is coming and I for one will wait before kneejerk reactions and bitter feuds that promote certain people’s headline grabbing egos, like Mr Tatchells’.

1. And that is your opinion – given the tireless work Tatchell does for can’t be bothered gays – not everyone agrees.

Your ego seems only as big as his though you only rank on here – he is out there getting opinion changed.

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 15 Nov 2012, 5:28pm

Tireless work? Well what else does Tatchell spend his days doing other than being a rent-a-quote?

2. I doubt it will do much good as I am sure that she has been given a political agenda to follow, but it is at least worth a try!

3. Pavlos Prince of Greece 15 Nov 2012, 3:21pm

When/if same-sex marriage became a reality, civil partnership, both gay and straight, makes absolutely no sense and must be abolished. Or – exist with much more differences from ‘marriage’ as it is now (as ‘Pacs’ in France or ‘domestic partnership’ in some parts of USA).

1. There will no need for Civil Partnerships if Civil Marriage is opened up to everyone, Civil Partnerships should indeed be abolished.

I being on the centre-left myself do understand where tachell is coming from he has worked hard for LBGT rights equality on the whole over the decades and for that he gets respect from me.

But I cannot understand why we need to have both CPs and CM?

If the government leave Civil Partnerships as they are and bring in equal marriage then this will indeed be discrimination against heterosexual couples so Tachell is correct with this.

And if the government don`t give religious people the choice as to whether they want to perform them of not that will also be discrimination.

I just wish the government would get on with it.

1. Pavlos Prince of Greece 15 Nov 2012, 6:50pm

Exactly. Civil partnership in current form is very strong and beloved by our foes argument against same-sex marriage today. And the strongest argument of opposite side must be totally abolished, in every discussion, for ever. Why this unnecessary risk? Its make no sense. If same-sex marriage must exist together with current civil partnership law, opponents of gay rights all ways will have theoretical option abolish marriage equality again, saying: ‘well, dear gay people, you have same rights in the civil partnership, its not tragedy, etc.’.

4. Thanks Peter for the heads-up, I’ve now emailed Maria Miller and I urge everyone else to do so also.
    I say ask for full equality even if you don’t think it’s likely, Maria Miller is the equalities minister, partial equality is an oxymoron.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 15 Nov 2012, 6:46pm

I would imagine there would be a large number of Tories who would balk at the idea of CPs for heterosexuals. That’s why they don’t want us to have access to civil marriage because they know that CPs aren’t marriages and not the same even though they offer similar rights. They don’t see us as their equals and want to keep it that way, separate, a form of segregation. It’s still the nasty party in spite of a handful who support us. More of them are coming out of the woodwork to rant and getting more than ample coverage than those in support lately. What’s wrong with the progressive media, the Guardian, Economist, Evening Standard for goodness’ sake? Why the silence, why no countering the right wing agenda I wonder? What good has the Out4Marriage campaign done exactly? Where is Stonewall lately? I’m getting so sick and tired of these Tory blowhards from yesteryear and their crazy, irrational screeds.

6. Don Harrison 15 Nov 2012, 7:39pm

Peter did not include these details for her :

Westminster

House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA
    Tel: 020 7219 5749
    Fax: 020 7219 5722
    foxlc@parliament.uk
    Constituency

The Mount, Bounty Road, Basingstoke, RG21 3DD
    Tel: 01256 322207
    agent@nehc.org.uk

7. Whilst I commend everything that Peter Tatchell stands for, Maria Miller has already done a huge hairpin turn – she was originally extremely antagonistic to the community and voted neutrally/against us at every opportunity. Now she’s endorsing same-sex marriage and she’s doing a lot of work towards ensuring it gets passed.

I feel like it’s just the wrong time to lobby her. We don’t know enough about her – she could do another hairpin turn against us if we make her life a living hell.

1. I think that’s highly doubtful.

8. CPs need to go – they are a half-measure. We can do better than this.