US: UPS cuts funding for Boy Scouts of America over anti-gay policy

1. Garry Cassell 12 Nov 2012, 11:12pm

Good decision UPS…just hope more companies will follow your lead.

2. A good move by UPS and also by Intel. Hopefully, some more of the big sponsors will follow suit and then will hopefully force the BSA to change its stance.

3. Is a list of sponsors, who do support the BSA, available anywhere?

1. The top-listed sponsor AT&T has the CEO on the national BSA board, who has (along with the CEO of Ernst and Young and the US president) also called for the BSA policy to be changed.

This may be a sign that AT&T could withdraw their financial support too.

2. Thanks.

Exxon, is probably proud to be on that list. We might be able to persuade AT&T to drop their support. The others, I don’t know.

3. I’ve been searching the AT&T website for half an hour, and did not find any email address to contact that company other than customer support (I’m not a customer). Has anyone any idea. Mailing to info@att.net probably has no effect.

We should point out to them that they are becoming a lonely supporter of those bigots. Most of their advertisements are about warm feelings and connecting people. That is what BSA is not about. This might haunt AT&T for a long time.

1. Harassment is illegal.

1. It is.
            Explain how pointing out that their support of a bigot organisation, might effect the public view of their company?

In this digital age, no information will be lost, for eternity.

2. Midnighter 13 Nov 2012, 4:36pm

Finding excuses for apathy in the face of discrimination should be too.

2. Hi Mooz – AT&T have contacts and email addresses on their Media Resource page

I just sent them and Exxonmobile similar emails

I explained that i was glad to see their web sites mention prominently that they take corporate citizenship seriously and that that included zero tolerance on discrimination in their workplaces based on gender identity and sexual orientation. I pointed out that i was especially pleased that they extend these values to all their customers and suppliers as both web sites specifically state that neither company will tolerate any form of discrimination from anyone they deal with. I then asked them how they therefore justify their sponsorship of BSA

I think more should contact these companies asking (civily and politely of course) how they justify their continued sponsorship.

4. Hurrah! I wonder how long the BSA will take to cave in to this financial pressure – or will they, like Orangemen, dig their self-destructive, bigoted heels in until they are destroyed.

1. Julian Morrison 13 Nov 2012, 10:25am

Or else they’ll end up on a leash to donors from the nuttier religions, having nowhere else to turn. They can rename themselves to the Boy Scouts of Gilead.

1. They already are leashed by religious bigots, hence their stubbornness. According to wikipedia 13% of their membership comes from the rabidly homophobic church of “Latter Day Saints” who are on record as saying they’ll leave the organisation if they ever have to allow homosexual leaders.

5. Good for UPS.
    It’s more than high time that the BSA realised that teaching young people civic virtue and community involvement (that’s the point of the scouts, isn’t it??) is not compatible with discrimination and bigotry.

6. Cardinal Capone 13 Nov 2012, 10:16am

The BSA policy must be devastating to young members that realise they are gay. Worse than homophobic bullying because it is carried out by an organisation they have come to respect and trust, that purports to value honesty, but if these people say anything about their orientation, they are expelled.

7. Well done, UPS! I hope that the BSA gets the message that such a homophobic policy is utterly disgraceful and totally misinformed.

8. The US is starting to wake up to the fact that hate and division justified by those claiming them to be “traditional Christian values” are completely at odds with American constitutional values and liberties.

The BSA remains intransigent in the face of public support, loss of funding, bad press and explicit direction from their honorary president and two powerful board members (CEOs of AT&T and Ernst and Young). This only serves to underline how closed-minded, uncaring and unfit their core leadership is.

I wouldn’t let a child of mine near an organisation with such hatred at its heart.

1. That There Other David 13 Nov 2012, 12:00pm

You can see why countries like Saudi Arabia put so much effort into censoring their Internet. The sharing of knowledge, comparison of experience, and burgeoning friendship between social groups that the Net has unlocked is destroying the ability of pastors etc. from dictating what views of other groups people are exposed to. The Scary-Gays-Who-Will-Get-Your-Children idea is gradually being replaced by the People-Who-Are-Gay-But-Actually-Not-That-Different-From-Me. Socially the USA is going through its biggest value change since the 1960s. The Scouts will have to move with the times or they will find themselves with much fewer members.

9. I have contacted BSA to work out a new sponsorship deal, myself, friends, collogues and my business will be proud to support them in stopping homosexuals, who could be potential paedophiles getting near children.

1. That There Other David 13 Nov 2012, 2:06pm

Yes, yes, I’m sure you have….

How goes the freelance one-man street-sweeping business anyway?

2. How’s the NARTH therapy going, Matt? You’d be a lot happier if you realised you had no need to hate yourself, and that you’re being fed lies by fundies with an agenda.

3. Your reasoning is unsupported by real data. In Texas, according to the last state released report, 98% of sex offenders reported themselves heterosexual. So it would be safer for all the leaders in the BSA to be gay.

10. Jim Nashville Tn 13 Nov 2012, 3:58pm

what a great time for UPS to show its true colors ..and right here at the busiest shopping season .. congrats to UPS for having balls to announce this ..
    now lets see follows in their footsteps

11. Lelio Risen 13 Nov 2012, 4:42pm

Bravo to UPS for standing up to bigotry.

Thank you, on behalf of all glbt youth who have been made to feel, by the BSA discriminatory policies, that they are somehow lesser individuals because of their sexual orientation.

I will back that up with my own pledge, to choose UPS as my carrier, whenever I need one. In the past, I have also used their competition, but I like to reward courage with support of my own, when I can.

UPS made a difference with their decision to cut ties with the Boy Scouts. And for that, they deserve our support.

@leliorisen

12. Janet Lameck 13 Nov 2012, 7:17pm

Thank you UPS!

13. Perhaps UPS should also refuse to deliver packages to directors at the BSA too. Or get them to collect the packages from their depot.