Birmingham: Waiter goes berserk after gay couple complain about meal

1. Why is it no surprise that the restaurant has claimed the diners made “inappropriate advances”

I do hope that the couple take things as far as they can, particularly now they restaurant has admitted the waiter called them queer too.

Could you publish the name of the restaurant so that when I next visit the city I can avoid it?

1. nah you shouldnt avoid it, just go in, ask them if this event happened in that restaurant and when they say yes(in case of no you jsut say u remembered it was here) you leave. Punishing the restaurant owner for having such homophobic young retard hired. Maybe that will make them try to avoid hiring such people.

greece is pretty behind in any gay issue, people still live in old ages

1. kevin cather 9 Nov 2012, 5:19pm

young retard? there was no mention of the guys age…and after listening to the recording the couple made on their phone on Birmingham mail’s website, the guy sound anything but young or retarded….just ignorant.

2. Wolfie
        it’ s true that in greece we are behind in gay issues than most west european countries, but we re trying hard to change this situation.
        From my experience greek people that have taverns in european countries, are decades old immigrants, who still think that greece is in the 60′s…
        I d answer back to him, that in greece we re more than 1.000.000 gays and very much at it !!!!

3. Difficult to say Greece is behind in gay issues when they have Mykonos! And Lesbos!

2. ...Paddyswurds 9 Nov 2012, 4:46pm

You should have read the story. It tell you it was the
      Athens Greek restaurant.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 9 Nov 2012, 5:41pm

I found two restaurants online, Athens and Bambos. Maybe there are more.

1. The Virgin Mary 9 Nov 2012, 6:54pm

0121 643 5523
        31 Paradise Circus
        Queensway
        Birmingham
        B1 2BJ
        info@athensrestaurant.co.uk

2. All they will get (if anything) is a pathetic caution, like that asshole on the train who was videoed absuing 2 gay guys – it’s a disgrace the way we’re ‘protected’ by the law in this country!

3. Hunter OHARA 9 Nov 2012, 4:57pm

I have visited Greece twice and my husband is Greek. This waiter does NOT represent Greek people.

1. I have to agree. Perhaps in very rural communities in Greece the older generation still cling to the homophobic ways but I found the Greek people to be very open minded.

2. There are fools and jerks everywhere, as has recently been proven by the parallel story of that yob on the train to Manchester Airport.

3. mickie_newton 11 Nov 2012, 7:45pm

They rarely do Hunter in my experience. It’s like bigoted Christians. I know a lot of Christians and they’re amazing and practice what they preach. Treat others as you expect to be treated yourself!

4. Kerry Hollowell 9 Nov 2012, 5:09pm

its the waiter who needs punishing by getting fired. there are plenty of ways to leave reviews on certain websites but it’s up to the owner to take the proper course of action. The owner should offer the couple a free meal and sack the waiter.

1. The Virgin Mary 9 Nov 2012, 7:00pm

No need to post a new review. Just go through the many pages of reviews which are there and you’ll find plenty of bad ones with which you may well agree.

1. and look at how aggressive the owners replies are to these reviews – a complaint would get nowhere.

1. Since they’re backing up his ridiculous claim I assume he must be a family member or friend of the owner. If he was just some part-time student I imagine most restaurants would quickly cut him loose for the sake of their business.

5. kevin cather 9 Nov 2012, 5:23pm

The couple did record a soundclip of what happened which is on birmingham mail website aswell as an account from the un-named Athens Restaurant employee. It is absurd the things he says. I hope everyone avoids eating there and the business closes.

6. “inappropriate advances” that old standby, lol.

1. de Villiers 9 Nov 2012, 6:18pm

Not only is it an old standby – it is thoroughly hypocritical. I am sure that this waiter will have made advances to women who had not invited them. Would he consider those to be “inappropriate advances”?

There is nothing intrinsically “inappropriate” in an advance – whether it is a gay person to a gay person or a gay person to a straight person. The person in receipt of the advance need only decline and offer thanks at being flattered. The only reason why it would be “inappropriate” is if being gay was somehow immoral or disgusting, of which it is neither.

1. Or if the person making the advances continued to do so after being told “no”. There are still a lot of people out there who look at being told no as a challenge either to their ability or masculinity/femininity or worse, as a personal insult. People like that need to be taught that their needs./wants are not what the world is here to satisfy, just because they say so.

1. I agree with this post, but in this circumstance I’m pretty sure de Villiers is on the dot. We have a couple in a nice restaurant celebrating their wedding anniversary. I doubt that they tried to ‘advance’ anything with the waiter, but hey, you never know.

2. de Villiers 9 Nov 2012, 6:19pm

- were somehow

7. More money grabbing homos not happy about a meal, cue the court case.

1. Spanner1960 9 Nov 2012, 11:28pm

Shame we couldn’t sue you.

2. That There Other David 10 Nov 2012, 8:48am

LOL. Yeah, more militant gay activists out to deliberately ruin a restaurant’s reputation. Why didn’t they just ask the owner if the restaurant was staffed by gay-hating tossers when they booked their meal? Political correctness gone MADDDDD isn’t it?

This PROVES why gay marriage is unacceptable. It will be court cases as far as the eye can see….even into space if you’re looking at night.

Matty, you’re such a fool you’re actually out the far side of annoyance and into just funny.

8. Feta cheese and tomatoes hardly an inspiring cuisine at the best of times.

1. I like Feta. :(

9. Harlequin 9 Nov 2012, 6:11pm

From the sound of it, the restaurant should be avoided for the poor food quality alone.

10. Boycot anyone?….

11. GingerlyColors 9 Nov 2012, 6:43pm

This week we’ve had Train Man now a foul-mouthed waiter that not even Gordon Ramsey would employ – at least Gordon Ramsey doesn’t seem to have an issue with gay people and he did kick Jim Davidson out of Hell’s Kitchen because of his homophobic attitude towards Brian Dowling. And Gordon Ramsey wouldn’t have three Michelin Stars if his cooking was crap.
    I know that the LGBT community doesn’t see eye-to-eye with the Daily Mail but you can find the sound recording of the incident at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2230085/Greek-waiters-outburst-gay-couple-In-country-chop-legs-people-like-you.html along with a picture of the handsome couple who took the abuse. The site came up when I Googled Birmingham Daily Mail.

12. The Virgin Mary 9 Nov 2012, 6:46pm

Having listened to the video, firstly, well done guys for having the presence of mind to record the incident. It so indicts the restaurant owner.

Secondly, this Greek is clearly a Greek of the old homophobic mentality which is, sadly, prevalent in Greece, despite the fact that most Greeks are, actually, bisexual.

I hope this guy is given such a shock by his exposure that he minds his ps and qs in future!

1. Pavlos Prince of Greece 9 Nov 2012, 11:32pm

‘Most Greeks are, actually, bisexual’? Well, not in my home island of Rhodes. Sad, but true…

1. GingerlyColors 10 Nov 2012, 5:09am

Try Lesbos or Mykonos.

1. I’ve been personally discriminated against in a bar in Mykonos of all places I’d expect. While it’s safe to assume Mykonos is a gay-friendly place in general and a beautiful island, you still find the odd homophobe acting out with total impunity, and very few people will defend you when you most need it.

1. I should think the inhabitants of the barren, almost treeless island of Mykonos are truly gay-friendly only to the extent of being gay-wallet-friendly.

13. The Virgin Mary 9 Nov 2012, 6:50pm

0121 643 5523
    31 Paradise Circus
    Queensway
    Birmingham
    B1 2BJ
    info@athensrestaurant.co.uk

14. The Virgin Mary 9 Nov 2012, 6:51pm

Have a look at the website. It’s clearly an awful restaurant, full of very un-virgin like Marias! If I went their in the evening, they’d definitely put me completely off my food.

15. First it’s anti-gay B&B’s, then its anti-gay bus drivers and passengers on trains. Now its anti-gay waiters.

WTF is the matter with some people?

1. The thing is, they’re all just people. Anti-gay people. If a bus driver can be why couldn’t anyone else?

16. If you look at the reviews for the Athens restaurant, this is the last thing they need.

The majority of reviewers highlight bad mannered staff who are busy perving on hen night parties to attend to anyone else; extremely slow service; atrocious foods; and toilets in appalling repair. They are also notorious for selling £3.00 wine for £16.00 a bottle, and squeezing too many people around the same table.

I’ve only been in there once. I looked round, noticed that I could see the urinals from in the restaurant itself because the lavatory’s inner dividing door had broken off, and I left. Imagine what the kitchen is like.

1. GingerlyColors 10 Nov 2012, 5:12am

There must be a Rat In The Kitchen. They should be given their UB40.

2. PantoHorse 10 Nov 2012, 5:03pm

Wow, that’s gross :(

17. Spanner1960 9 Nov 2012, 11:28pm

Hmm. I suspect this incident won’t go down too well in the Michelin Good Food guide.

1. That There Other David 10 Nov 2012, 1:27pm

Good point. Do you think they’ll lose their zero-star status?

18. Given that one of the couple is studying at the University of Birmingham, I hope the university encourages students to avoid this restaurant.

19. Hang on, so this couple were celebrating their anniversary AND making inappropriate advances? Busy night all round then! What a wanker.

20. The waiter sounds like a total lowlife, not only obnoxious but cunning as well, quickly making a complaint himself to undermine the couple’s complaint.

On the plus side, it’s interesting to see the Birmingham Mail use the words ‘husband’ and ‘wedding anniversary’.

1. I reckon the couple involved very cannily and quickly put out a press-release, because much the same story as appears in the Brum Mail appeared in The Daily Mail, of all papers!

21. I’ve been to that restaurant, and it’s ‘dodgy’ to say the least. Definitely the sort of place a bit of cronyism from the management wouldn’t be surprising.

The food wasn’t that bad, but the staff just gave it a really weird/scary atmosphere. I wasn’t ever going to go back there anyway, but this just makes me annoyed I ever did in the first place.

22. ...Paddyswurds 10 Nov 2012, 5:30pm

I wonder if this is the same Athens restaurant I had ,the bad luck to visit in 1968…an unbelievable dump and it smelled and the staff surly youths with long greasy hair and dripping with acne.; surely not?

23. Homosexual panic is no longer an excuse, unless of course i find myself buying any item i really don’t need.

24. Anti Widecome 11 Nov 2012, 6:50am

Since he loves Greece so much, let’s deport him back there

25. mickie_newton 11 Nov 2012, 7:43pm

So we’re not allowed to complain about cr***y food now then with out harassment from the service (I’d say waiter, but that would be an insult to all those amazing waiters out there who have wonderful manners etc).

I do hope that the couple managed to prove that this bigot (I’m really fed up with using this word. But it’s the only clean one I can use) and the restaurant that’s supporting him.

It seems to be any excuse to insult people who happen to be gay as a way of venting their opinions of us, regardless of where they are or who is with them. Like that idiot on the train or a woman who hit a girl getting off the bus because she and her girlfriend were holding hands!!

26. Nathan Partyka 15 Nov 2012, 7:09pm

Obviously someone was having a bad day. because there’s no way he would survive in this industry if that is his everyday approach to “guest satisfaction”.

There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of outburst, no matter if it’s in a restaurant or anywhere else.

27. Nathan Partyka 15 Nov 2012, 7:17pm

Obviously someone was having a bad day, because there is no way this guy has survived in this industry with this as his everyday approach to “guest satisfaction”.

There is absolutely no excuse for this outburst, whether in a restaurant or anywhere else.