Leicester: Trans woman assaulted in pub

1. I live in Leicestershire and there have been quite a few attacks on LGBT people. I thought it was a nice, accepting place, but I’m beginning to think that it isn’t nice to be LGBT in Leicestershire.

2. I went to University (the first time round!) in Leicester and it was a great place to be gay- having been back since, whilst its a lot better than many smaller cities- it is noticeably less friendly than it was.

3. This pub is probably the roughest pub in Leicester, full of dependant drinkers (whom I work with – clients not colleagues lol). It is unfortunate she chose this place to drink. Stick to the gay pubs & well away from this one!!!

1. A lot of women (straight and lesbian) feel a bit out of place in a gay pub, though.
      Or is that different in the UK? Or maybe it’s changed since last time I’ve been out to a ‘gay pub’, which was last century, I think.

4. Katie Kool-eyes 1 Nov 2012, 3:18pm

Poor woman, such a nasty and unprovocked thing to happen to her. At least the police have CCTV of the pub in question, with any luck, an arrest will follow soon.

5. PoliticalParry 1 Nov 2012, 3:20pm

Interesting that comments mention University – the general rule is the younger generations are more accepting and liberal about LGBT issues than the older.
    Why should she be forced to stick to gay pubs?
    People should be held to account for these actions and demonstrate this behaviour is not acceptable.
    Although, if it were a woman, or a man, simply punched in the head for no reason, would it have attracted the same level of newsworthiness?

1. “younger generations are more accepting and liberal about LGBT issues” , really?, that acceptance you mention, does not seem to be reflected amongst statistics of younger lgbt being victims of hate.

6. Jonathan Derby 1 Nov 2012, 7:11pm

My friend was abused in a night club last night for being transgendered! If your interested in the story I could ask her to see if she’s willing to, I’m pretty sure she would! It was in the East-Midlands!

7. Giovanna Del Nord 2 Nov 2012, 1:16pm

I have always felt welcome at the Market Tavern until I got assulted there. One thing tho, it is strange that they banned me, the vitctim. I should be able to go just anywhere I like BTW.

1. Vivian Sutton 2 Nov 2012, 4:05pm

They probably barred you for your own safety to be honest just in case it happens again. It’s unlikely they are being mean to you. I know exactly which pub you go to and I’m afraid to say that is probably the worst place in Leicester to go, heck, ANY pub on that road is bad. Every time I have walked past there I see at least one abusive drunk, and it’s gotten to the point that I’m surprised I’ve not been attacked myself down there considering I use that road far too much.

Anyway, all the best to you, and if you didn’t already know, there’s a trans group that holds meetings at the LGBT center on the last tuesday of every month :)

1. Giovanna Del Nord 2 Nov 2012, 4:31pm

Yeah, I was at the Butterlies for the first time last Tuesday. I am still not happy to be barred as i should be able to go anywhere I please.

/Giovanna

1. Damn right you should be able to. Go where you please.

8. Sorry to read about your awful experience, Giovanna. I hope the police get the coward who attacked you and send them down for a very long time. I think it’s totally out of order that the Market Tavern barred you. Do they feel that violence against women is our own fault?

9. Lady Tanya 5 Nov 2012, 3:40am

Giovanna Del Nord i hope you are feeling a bit better now. and i hope they have charged the twa*. all the best to you.

10. essexgirlbecky 8 Nov 2012, 1:50am

A licensee is not required to explain why they are excluding someone from the premises, but since the only thing you have done ‘wrong’ is be attacked by someone else, barring you from the premises seems wholly inappropriate. I suspect we all know what is going on here; and it’s blatant discrimination and that’s been unlawful since the Equality Act 2010 came into force.

Mind you it’s not a pub I would want to walk into on my own, and I’m not known for being faint-hearted.

1. Giovanna Del Nord 16 Nov 2012, 11:19am

Yeah, we will all see if any good comes out of this. I still keep hearing from the police that they are about to release the CCTV footage. Only a couple of days ago I was in another pub in town with a mate and a small group of blokes pestered me, one of them is a person that has addressed me before as his mate was the one that attacked me. I had a word with the staff, the group were all regulars but I got no names.

/Giovanna