London: Police investigate death at gay sauna

1. This is only newsworthy in that a positive feedback condemning the use of recreational drugs in any setting, might possibly induce a few people to reconsider their actions. When the “Eastern Cape Gay & Lesbian Association” was created in South Africa, a central pillar of the Constitution was to abhor the connection between the LGBTI community and drug taking. It would seem that, in this case, it was not young and stupid teenagers experimenting with drags, but older men who should have known better. Whilst one deplores any unnecessary loss of life, one has to question whether or not these guys got precisely what they deserved!
    Alan Edwards Sec of ECGLA

1. Madgetrisha 29 Oct 2012, 4:11pm

you are moron,

1. you may not agree with him, I certainly don’t but many people will ask that question.

2. Methinks Madgetrisha, you doth protest too much, what are your so-called ‘recreations’? Alan makes an entirely valid point – drug abuse is stupid and has such consequences – it is moronic to pretend otherwise.

1. And by drug abuse would you include alcohol too? If you do and you partake in the drinking of alcohol then your comment would make you a hypocrite, no?

2. ‘Methinks’?

Actually I don’t think you do. Your posting portrays you as an ignorant idiot.

I don’t take drugs. I am extremely anti-drugs. I do however think its deplorable that someone would actually post a comment suggesting that the person who died and the other who is seriously ill got what they deserved.

We don’t even have the full facts in this case, and yet mindless harpies like you are banging out your judgements.

2. Your comment about someone ‘getting what they deserve’ is pure filth.

1. Spanner1960 30 Oct 2012, 12:48am

At what point did he say that?
        Al he pointed out was if you play with fire, prepare to get your finger burned. Anybody that goes around swallowing unknown white powder in a public setting should be completely aware of how unbelievably dangerous it could be. They may not have ‘deserved’ what happened, but they most certainly brought it upon themselves, and nobody else is ultimately responsible.

3. Your last remark was completely unnecessary and in very poor taste.

4. pride before a fall bitch

5. Michael Duggan 29 Oct 2012, 9:20pm

Alan, you stupid nasty man.

2. Ooops….”DRUGs” not “DRAGS”….silly me!

1. No, not silly, just ignorant.

Gay men take drugs for a variety of reasons:- some for pleasure but many others as a coping mechanism and a fair few to initiate intimacy with others due to chronic lack of self-esteem suffered from a lifetime of bullying and negative messages.

You have no idea what underlying issues were at play here and so have no right to judge these unfortunate men for their actions.

1. Well said.

2. ‘A coping mechanism to boost self-esteem’ ? – what rubbish. The best coping mechanism is a strong cup of tea and a chat with a friend – resorting to illegal drugs is grotesque.

1. “A strong cup of tea” – what are you, 80?

And even then you’re still promoting an addictive (though legal) drug!

3. Spanner1960 30 Oct 2012, 12:14pm

Oh, blame your sexuality, your personality, the club, the sauna, the government, the drug dealer, the world, God, The Devil, Elvis – ANYBODY as long as you don’t have to accept personal responsibility for your own actions.

Please drop your crappy ‘blame culture’ monologue, it is tiresome.
        These people took the risk and it came back and bit them in the arse.
        ‘Nuff said.

1. OMG – I agree with you. Its a first!

2. Understanding and blaming are quite different things. Not everything needs to be reduced to a simplistic formula or soundbite.

1. Rehan, if that comment was directed at Spanner, then I’m afraid it does.

3. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. It’s not often I quote the bible but it seems apt here. I feel desperately sorry for the deceased and just as sorry for the dried-out, sad old losers that have left cruel comments here.

3. who said it was drugs….

1. Spanner1960 30 Oct 2012, 12:50am

“reports suggest the incident was drug-related, with one source saying the men became ill after been given a substance.”

1. And was this a reliable source then Spanner?

The story doesn’t give any indication of how official or reliable the ‘source’ was.

4. Alan, you’re like some ‘I told you so vulture’

Someone is dead and someone else is seriously ill, and all you can do it try to score points.

It is very sad that someone has died unexpectedly, and equally sad that someone else is in a life threatening condition.

Perhaps you could park the gloating for a day or two maybe.

1. Alan, live and let live. Keep stupid comments to yourself please.

1. Spanner1960 30 Oct 2012, 12:51am

Fine. Equally, die and let die.
        People are responsible for their own actions.

5. Paul in Brighton 29 Oct 2012, 9:12pm

Shocking, and terribly sad.

One man dead and another in a critical condition in hospital. Let’s hope he pulls through and is OK.

6. Drug pushers are abusers and drug users are losers.

I also blame the 40 +years ex wrinkly rave queens who are saying to the vunerable youngers say its ok to take drugs we had the best time of our lives getting off our heads every weekend.

1. Just those over 40, eh? But if they’re so wrinkly (or perhaps ex wrinkly) do you really think they provide such a desirable example for vulnerable youngsters to follow?

7. sergio tortiglione 30 Oct 2012, 9:20am

I hope gay sauna are not attended by omophobic men pretending to be gay. In this case they could invite men to use deathly drugs. In Italy aome gay club are attended by people from the Vatican.

1. Spanner1960 30 Oct 2012, 12:16pm

Who says just because they are from the Vatican that they are not gay?

8. If, as many are suspecting, that this death is drug related, then this is further evidence that prohibition of drugs is failing.

Keeping drugs illegal, whether you like them or not, only increases the criminal element who then cut their products with other chemicals which are far more dangerous to the human body.

I also have to comment, if you were to go to a club where it is known that people are taking stuff, when you see them leave, they are not the ones that are looking to start fights etc the same way that those who fall out of clubs intoxicated on alcohol tend to do.

9. Madgetrisha 30 Oct 2012, 1:58pm

it’s all very easy for some troll to cast judgements and aspersions such as Alan did. it’s arrogant and pretentious. some people seem to think they have the moral high ground simply because they chose a different path. someone who recreationally takes drugs “gets what they deserve” if they die? REALLY? we’re not talking about murders or paedophiles.

yet another faceless troll that should go back to guarding his bridge.

i just hope some of the people on this page who are so judgemental never accidentally step out in front of traffic without looking, because they’d obviously deserve to die. Right?

1. I absolutely agree. I think some of those being ‘controversial’ do so because it in some way elevates their status if they have something they perceive to be important or relevant to say.

10. Patrick Mc Crossan 30 Oct 2012, 4:30pm

I feel drug sellers around gay venues need to be stopped to help prevent such situations happening.

I live in Vauxhall and I have never been in any sauna or the main bars but I walk past these venues often and I am fed up being offered drugs so blatently.

I am amazed that these drug peddlars can do it so openly and the same faces selling week in week out with no intervention.

Surely if the gay venues gathered evidence which is overwhelmingly available about drug selling activities in areas around their premises and passed it on to the problem could be dealt with.

People straight or gay will use drugs and that is their decision.

1. Spanner1960 30 Oct 2012, 11:01pm

Why don’t we go the whole hog and stop drug dealers selling anywhere?
      Stop being so bloody naive. If there is a demand, then someone, somewhere will be there to supply. The only way to stop illegal drugs is for everybody to stop buying them; but we all know that is never going to happen, and so the people ultimately responsible are those that pay for this sh|t, not the ones exploiting the market. Like you said, people will buy this stuff, and it is their decision, so stop trying to offset the blame on others.

We are all adults and we understand the risks. Your choice, your life.

11. Can I just remind everyone that a human life has been lost. The life of a wonderful man who I knew well. This is not a debate, it is the tragic loss of a beautiful person. Show some humanity please.

No one knows exactly what happened and no one has the right to judge someone they’ve never met in circumstances they’ll never understand , or even try to understand.

This man had legions of close friends and family some of whom may end up reading your tripe. Like I say, show some humanity, show some respect.

1. John – I’m very sorry for your loss, and I’m sorry and embarrassed that some very ugly people have aired some ugly views.

1. Thank you, Jose xx

2. Spanner1960 30 Oct 2012, 11:09pm

I am sorry for your personal loss, but I am afraid to say this IS a personal debate. I recognise the full findings have not been ascertained at this stage, but it is a pretty forgone conclusion that after two deaths and a number of other cases occurring simultaneously, it is very likely to be a narcotics based cause. I would say it was better you and the friends and families of these people rather be prepared for the worst outcome, rather than assume some innocent result, as I am sure the inquest is going to be what most expected.
      Any loss of life is a sad event, but it is the futile and pointless ones that hurt the most.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 31 Oct 2012, 2:10am

You only have to ready your posting on the follow up story to this concerning the death of the second man to realise just how insincere this posting is. The best thing you can do I think is shut up, as seemingly you can’t post a comment without being needlessly offensive.

Two people have now died. I think it would be better for the families and friends of those affected if you kept your opinions to yourself for a change.

1. Spanner1960 31 Oct 2012, 8:46am

This is a news item with a comments area, not a book of condolences. Whilst I recognise the unfortunate deaths, I also wish to comment on the apparent cause. If you don’t like people stating the bloody obvious, don’t come on here.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 31 Oct 2012, 12:03pm

“die and let die.”

Truly insightful mate, truly insightful.

“oooohhhhh look at me I’m controversial”

I’ve got no problem with comment but you are using the deaths of two people to post stupidity.

Its not big, its not cleaver, and its not funny.

2. Sister Mary Clarence 1 Nov 2012, 8:46pm

“Its not big, its not cleaver, and its not funny”

That would make more sense if I typed “its not clever”

12. -faeces on the penis causes HPV and HIV,..., 31 Oct 2012, 10:42am

“Selling outside or around gay venues must be stopped so that deaths and injuries, and new recruits to the drugs market can be prevented.”quakities act
    There is no such thing as a ‘Gay venue’ or a ‘gay sauna’ . The equalities act ensures that no person may be refused a public service on the grounds of sexual orientation.
    I am sure the homo-deviant brigade would strongly object to the terms Hetero venue, hetero sauna or hetero Olympics. Legally speaking, venues are orientation neutral and a sauna is simply a sauna! They may be marketed at the deviants yet normals must also be welcome.

13. Very sad, yet not surprised. There is this one large sauna in Vancouver British Columbia Canada that has had 28 overdoses in just over a year but is still in operation. It doesn’t help that the management participates in drug activity themselves.